Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What does wearing an apron symbolize to you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does wearing an apron symbolize to you? Next Topic
Page: of 2

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  6:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Or, is it just a utility item of clothing? Does it somehow transform you? I know Mary Jane wrote a lot about this in her book- but I'd like to hear from you guys too. Is it a political statement? I just saw the link to the "I wear an apron and I vote" checkbook cover in the Marketplace forum... what should a politician do when confronted with an apron-wearing woman?

I suspect the answers will be varied!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  6:39:52 PM  Show Profile
To me wearing an apron means, preparedness, strength, keeping tradition alive, honoring my grandmother, ministering to my family. I'm a firm believer in the power of the apron.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  6:42:51 PM  Show Profile
A-Accepting Gods will for my life
P-Perseverance
R-
O-
N-

Help me finish this ladies.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo
www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  6:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I love wearing aprons. To me it is part of my uniform I wear when I am doing what God has called me to do. Serve my family.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

www.athomewithelizabeth.blogspot.com

My shop www.theclothesline.etsy.com
I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
R - Reverence for family values
O- Open to things beautiful and pleasing
N- Nurse and homemaker to your family

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  7:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for spelling APRON out for us! I love it! My son once told me that when he sees me in an apron he knows I mean business! When I wear one, I know that what I'm doing is important. I have a mission in mind. It says that I'm a feminine farmgirl who isn't afraid to work hard! Susan
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile
To address the the question of what a politician should say to apron-wearing women; I would think anything that treats them as intelligent decision-makers would work ;) Of course, I'd expect that even if the women AREN'T wearing aprons!

As for what aprons mean to me, I have to admit it is mostly a nostalgic trigger, a harkening back to a simpler time when home cooked dinners were more common than take-out. I'm a practical person (TOO practical at times I'm afraid!) so my recent fascination is because they are just so practical; protection against getting dirty while doing kitchen work, plenty of pocket room to carry necessities instead of setting stuff down and forgetting where I put it.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  7:59:47 PM  Show Profile
At first I was just going to say utility- it's practical and protects my clothes, but as I think about it more, I think that I wear it to feel connected. Connected with those millions of women in years past who donned them while doing their little bit to change the world and keep it spinning - and connected with all those thousands (millions?) of women today who still think that what women in aprons do is important. In our society we are pushed into careers, pushed to achieve power and wealth, and pushed to put those aprons, and all that they mean, away. But when we wear our aprons, and bake our bread, and sew our cushions, and hang our laundry- we silently proclaim that what we do is still important and good. That the world needs aprons and the women who happily wear them!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  8:28:12 PM  Show Profile
To me, women who wear aprons symbolize any and all of the following:

~ A woman who isn't afraid to get dirty and remain lady underneath the mess.

~ An organized woman who takes advantage of pockets as nooks and crannies close to her to tuck away the meaningful "...little things..." she runs across during her day that should not be merely thrown away.

~ A woman who loves the job she does.

~ A woman who treasures the [likely few] nice items of clothing that she has in sacrifice for the nice things her family. She wears her apron to absorb that which could ruin the things she takes precious care of.

~ A woman who isn't afraid to wear an apron as a uniform of family life. It symbolizes the honor of service to her family.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  9:07:12 PM  Show Profile
For me (someone who has been wearing either an apron or overalls each day for the past..hmmmm at least 28 years) it is a uniform, and a way to honor both my Grandma's who wore them every day of my childhood. I feel almost naked without my apron (if I am not wearing overalls) and my older sons have told me that it was comforting to come home after school and see me in the kitchen in my apron. THAT is the best thing...my memories of my beloved grandma are all with her in her kitchen in her apron. I am so proud to wear an apron.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  9:11:13 PM  Show Profile
i completely agree with "sweet proserpina's" opinion of aprons. i love the nostalgia and connection i feel with womens' work.

farmgirl at heart
my cause: afghans for afghans
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:31:45 PM  Show Profile
You gals have just about said it all!

Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:56:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
A woman who isn't afraid to get dirty and remain lady underneath the mess.

I like that.

To me it keeps my clothes a little cleaner, and extra pockets.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my goodness sweet ladies! All your thoughts are so endearing. You have touched my heart and made it a better day! My 5 year old Granddaughter Hailey and I have been wearing "our" aprons today! She came over to play today...I feel what my Grandmother must have felt when I came to visit her! Aprons for me bring a warmth of years past and now of today!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

P.S. As I am writing this my husband walked in with a box FILLED with wonderful things from MaryJane's Farm!!!!!! My heart is beating fast and is full (and of course tons of happy tears)! What a sweetheart.....favorite thing a F.A.R.M Project APRON!

"Cherish the memories and in our hearts they shall live forever!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  2:52:23 PM  Show Profile
All of the above plus when I put one on I'am probably about to make a big mess.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  4:39:45 PM  Show Profile
I like to wear aprons to, except they do get kinda warm when the kitchen gets heated up from cooking, but they protect my clothes.
My grandmother ware them alway, and as I think back my Great grandma also ware aprons to, Now hers looked glued to her like they fit her body, kinda round.
I have gotten some fabric that looks like my grandmothers aprons, but havent made them yet.
Wish I had one of her old aprons, wonder if my mom has any of them.
My Mom never did wear aprons. maybe its a every other generation thing!!!
shirley
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9413 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9413 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  4:56:06 PM  Show Profile
I think wearing an apron means you are ready for the business of the day. The things we do for our families and such. To keep us protected and presentable should company show up. My grandmom always tossed hers aside when she had company coming. she was always ready to greet everyone with a clean dress and a smile.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  5:01:56 PM  Show Profile
I never get tired of looking at them, seeing how they were sewn, by a beginner or seasoned seamstress....& I wonder what the person was like who wore the particlular apron. Then I reflect on days gone by when my own mom use to wear her fancy fluffy aprons when hosting the neighbor ladies for coffee & tea. But the best memory is that of my Oma (german grandma) she would let me sit by her side while she was baking, always chatting, & her apron always seemed to be "schmutzig" - dirty from wiping her hands after baking/cooking/gardening. Her aprons were simple and always well used. I miss my Oma.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9413 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9413 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  5:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
Isn't great when something as simple as an apron can conjure our memories of special times and special people in our lives?

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  5:17:40 PM  Show Profile
Always has to be a rebel...and I'm it. Mother insisted I should wear one in the kitchen, so I wouldn't. Same with rain boots, umbrellas and scarves. I have the apron I made in Jr High home ec class with my name embroidered in black on the waistband...and it's still new after more than 45 years! I don't recall coming across any aprons in my mothers stuff, maybe she wore them all out before she stopped cooking. Same with her mother, unless my sister has them. I've bought and given away more than a few vintage aprons and in the process of putting some in RAOK packages today.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  12:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Aprons go so far beyond utilitarian. The conjure up the past and remind us to pass on those lessons to the futures. We know that the apron wearing women of times gone by were hardworking women with a desire for excellence in all they do. They expressed their love to their friends and family through the service done while wearing the apron, they demonstrated the importance of a good work ethic and the peace that comes in knowing you did your best. They spoke of simplicity which goes hand and had with peace and order. They spoke of creativity . . . both in the apron itself and in the creative endeavors that took place by the woman wearing the apron. When we put on our aprons today, we need to remember the values that it represents and strive to continue them into the next generation.

With warm blessings . . .

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  11:06:52 AM  Show Profile
I so agree,
Something as simple as an apron, whether it is handmade or store bought, used for a formal coctail party in the '60's or bread making in the the '40's.....race or religion was not a factor.
This simple object had & still has many uses.....but best of all (for me) is it's use to bring back sweet memories. And for that I am ever so greatful.

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  11:12:38 AM  Show Profile
*Denise*,
by-the-by, I luv UR green & yellow lemon motif apron....it is so summer....makes me want to hop the neighbors fence & sneak over to her lemon tree & pilfer an apron full of lemmons....oh wait, she's always telling me to come over & bring a bag....but somehow sneaking over the fence sounds like fun mischief....tee hee!
tata-4-now

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  7:10:16 PM  Show Profile
My apron symbolizes my important place in my household. As mom, caretaker, worker and it is my uniform that I wear. I love my aprons and they always make me smile when I do housework. It lightens my load with extra pockets and a place to wipe wet hands. I answered the door the other day with my apron on when the contractors were working on my new front porch and the contractor had a big smile on his face and said it reminded him of his mom when she would answer the door with a fresh clean apron on. It was nice to hear that.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  05:00:34 AM  Show Profile
I rarely put mine on unless I'm going to fry bacon or make a really huge kitchen mess. My grandmother was a very proper lady who had a housekeeper and staff, and she rarely wore an apron even though she had a degree in Home Economics (got it in the early 20's). When she did put one on, she wore the kind that covers your whole front, and it was usually to make oatmeal for us before Pearl (the cook/housekeeper) was up. My mother, on the other hand, wore the kind that just goes around your waist. She had a few frilly party ones. I do have one red and white striped one that was hers. I don't wear it; I just keep it. It makes me happy to see it, even though I have no memory of ever seeing her in it. Mom gave up aprons in the sixties or seventies.

For me, they don't have quite the nostalgia they do for some of you. They're delightfully utilitarian, though. I have a springy one with cherries on it, and a fall/winter one in a toasty tan with cabbage roses on it. They cover my whole front, because when I'm cooking bacon, the popping hits my shirt, not my thighs. Most of the time I forget to even put it on, because I'm in and out of the house a gazillion times. I'll be out in the barn or the garden, check my watch and run in to punch down bread, and then go back out. Outside they seem too long to do much more than get in the way. And to me, they look vaguely funny over jeans. But I do wear them (looking funny and all) when I have to flour a surface and roll dough. It keeps that white stratus cloud from appearing right about waist high.

Hmmm, I think I'll go put the horses out on grass and come back in and make scones. That's an apron thing because sometimes I cut them with a biscuit cutter.

Interesting thread!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  07:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Ronna, Yes, I am hearing you about the scarves!!! My mother always insisted I wear one in cold damp weather. I insist the same for my daughter and she likes it!!! I think she just eats it up. I was such a turkey child. : )

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does wearing an apron symbolize to you? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page