Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What does wearing an apron symbolize to you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does wearing an apron symbolize to you? Next Topic
Page: of 2

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9413 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9413 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  09:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
Thanks, I guess you checked out my blog?
That apron was made by my swap partner, Bonnie. (beemoosie)
I just love it. Wore it to a luncheon yesterday and had great fun!
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I love my aprons...ones that I have made and ones that I have bought. The purchased ones come from antique shops, etc. and when I wear them I try to imagine the woman who wore it before me and the types of things that she did in that apron. I agree with Sweet Proserpina....it puts me in touch with those women who have worn aprons thru the ages....and those who wear them now. In my mind it stands for strength and tenderness. I want my grandchildren (someday) to always think of me when they see an apron....just as I think of my own Nana.

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile
An a apron reminds me of sunshine, fresh smelling clothes on the line, the smell of something baking in the oven, and wiping spilled tears from a childs eyes.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  1:34:51 PM  Show Profile
For me, wearing an apron makes me feel feminine and like a good provider. I feel secure and peaceful in my apron. I usually only wear one when I'm baking, preserving or gardening, taking my time to do them well and with care.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  5:05:52 PM  Show Profile
to me, wearing an apron means being serious about preparing good food for the consumption by your family and loved ones. the sweetest sight to me is of my husband proudly wearing my flowered apron to barbecue food on the grill. he's truely proud to be a housedaddy.

farmgirl at heart
my cause: afghans for afghans
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  5:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Wearing an apron to me means you understand and can wrap your arms around being a 'Domestic Goddess'...a care giver, a home maker, a provider in many ways...and you know a little dirt never hurt!

My Mother always wore (and still wears) an apron when she cooked, canned, baked and she wore a Gardener's Smock, knee pads, garden gloves and garden shoes when she tended her gardens.

An Apron is a symbol of the sweet life remembered and appreciated.

miles of smiles~
Peg

Edited by - Peg Graham on May 21 2007 6:00:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  7:31:35 PM  Show Profile
aprons mean 'a happy childhood' .. with my sweet 'nanny' wearing one!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  8:20:30 PM  Show Profile
i wear an apron when i working arounf the house or garden. i especially like an apron which covers from my neck to knees. i'm a nurse, and wish we would still use them as part of our uniforms.
the extra pockets and cover would be very convienent.

farmgirl at heart
my cause: afghans for afghans
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4272 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4272 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  04:57:27 AM  Show Profile
You girls have wrote such elegant things. I wear my aprons proudly, and have for most of my married life. Working on 22 years. For me it is to keep clean. I always manage to spill or splash, and make a mess. Trying to do to many things in a day. I wear mine proudly, showing I am a hard working stay at home mom. Now I take it off working outside-on the farm. You never know what your clothes will be like, even if you are running out to close a gate!!! Michele
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  09:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
For me I never saw anywone wearing an apron, I have just had a starnge connection/facination with them for a while now, even more so now since joining MJs. But I wear mine every day, it symbolizes unity, steadfastness,boldness, (since I am only 27 none of my GFs wear them, and look at me like I am crazy). I like to stand out in a day when everyone thinks of the younger generation as unconnected to the past. I dont know much but I know I love my apron!

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  10:52:47 PM  Show Profile
I have loved reading these bits from all of you. What it makes me think of is that when I'm wearing my apron, I'm wearing a symbol of the "sisterhood" we have here. I love it - I love knowing I'm connected somehow to farmgirls from all walks of life, and it's a real, fun, good, safe feeling.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  11:51:37 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful read ladies. When I was really small, about 4 is when I remember my Grandma wearing her apron. She moved off her small farm and I don't remember her wearing them after that. Who wears one mostly in my household is my honey, my dh. He loves baking bread and beats me hands down. He does artisain and has a old sourdough that he keeps going. He lost his 8 year old one because our frigde died!!!!! He started another and it is 5 years old. He puts one on and away he goes. The granddaughters come down and throw theirs own to help Papa. They are 5 and 7.
I have been wearing them more in the last year. I love wearing mine and making them. It is great fun. Reminds me of laughter.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  11:15:44 AM  Show Profile
I wrote an article for the MJF Apron issue, and I said that a woman wearing an apron is not afraid to delve in up to her elbows, but not at the expense of her favorite skirt! Or something like that! Anyway, I love the acronym for apron in the emails above.

Let's do it again! I'll start....

A - Always ready to help
P -
R -
O -
N -

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile
I liked what MaryJane said in "Artists in Aprons". If men can wear power ties, her symbol of professional power can be an apron. I interpret this as "women can wear power aprons". Although an apron might be out of place where I work, it might be kinda fun to show up wearing an apron one day! Aprons represent hard work and warmth. That's how I remember my grandmothers and my mother.

[size=1]who says Farmgirls aren't elegant[/size+1]
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  06:25:22 AM  Show Profile
A "power apron!!!" That's too good! I love the acronym, too, jpbluesky...

A - Always ready to help
P - Prepared to handle life's messiest moments!
R -
O -
N -

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  09:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
bumping topic

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

theknottysheep
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kary
knitting in the sea on an island RI
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:15:29 AM  Show Profile

Hi Everyone ... Here is another interpretation:

A - Apple Pie
P - Preparedness
R - Resiliency
O - Origins
N - No Nonsense

hugs,
Kary

http://sheepatthebeachartstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:20:36 AM  Show Profile
The politician that has an apron wearing woman approach them better be prepared to answer a strong, steadfast woman who is rocking through the ages and knows exactly what's she's looking for!

I believe that the apron somehow represents the woman with all the qualities mentioned above along with also bringing a gentleness, caring, nurturing and powerful presense to the forefront. After all, I believe most women remember a woman of influence in their lives that also wore an apron

Peace, Stephanie
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile
A home of love and nurturing. A very strong women taking charge!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile
It's hard to add to all that was said in previous posts, but aprons bring you back to a slower,easier way of life, before all the technology that comes at you fast and furious. In fact, I just bought a few on Etsy, two are new, and two are vintage. I'm not a real cook, and being I just cook for myself, I get a little lazy. The aprons are charming and bring a smile to my face. When I was a kid, I never paid any attention to them, but now I can appreciate what aprons are really about. I might be starting a new collection! lol!
\
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does wearing an apron symbolize to you? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page