BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,

What is the difference between the Amish and the Mennonites? I grew up fairly close to am Amish community, but have never known any. Well, I went to a girls prep school, so I never knew anyone who even lived near me. I am not simple, but more of the crunchy artist type.

Thanks

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  12:44:04 PM  Show Profile
The Mennonite aren't as strict. That is more of what I am. They have cars,electrity and things like that. Amish and Mennonite both dress very plain and wear head covering. I don't don't wear my covering all the time but I do dress very plain. No pants. Jumpers and skirts mosty. A few dresses. Our belief system is about the same. Both groups are called plain. We are simple people. The amish are very strict. Most of the younger people are leaning toward the mennonite group.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

www.athomewithelizabeth.blogspot.com

My shop www.theclothesline.etsy.com
I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  4:45:38 PM  Show Profile
I live near Lancaster, Pa. I know we have a couple girls on the forum from that area.
We attended a mennonite church here in NJ for awhile. They do dress differently than the Amish. There are many different types of Amish and Mennonite. Some Amish will not use buttons on their clothing or zippers. They only use straight pins. Some of the Mennonites are stricter than others too. Most will have electricity but some don't drive cars they still use horse and buggy. I also get Keepers at Home and another magazine called An Encouraging Word. Keepers at Home is done by two Mennonite families and it is listed in the magazine as $13. for 4 issues yearly. An Encouraging Word is put out by a Christian family. They are neither Mennonite or Amish and it is $16. a year for 4 issues. I have been getting them for about 5 years. The women who do the Encouraging word also wear headcoverings. They magazines are not really about these two types of lifestyles as much as they are about Christian living.
There are so many different beliefs even among these that it is hard to say just mennonite and amish and have people know what you mean because they live mostly according to their church doctrine and what their bishops believe to be right.
We have a mennonite church here close to where the one is that we attended and they call themselves mennonite but the women don't wear headcoverings and they also wear pants. Which is very unusal for mennonites. My son works for one of the families from the church we attended and they will tell us that the other church is only mennonite in name not beliefs. They are also pacifists. They don't believe in the military. At least not for themselves. They don't believe we should go to war or vote or any of that. Well, sorry my post got so long just wanted to share my knowledge of the people.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  8:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Denise. In my Keepers at Home it says 4 issues for 16.00. When I called to renew that is how much they charged me. I got 2 years. I wonder if I should call them and ask about the 13.00 rate.
This has been interesting. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

www.athomewithelizabeth.blogspot.com

My shop www.theclothesline.etsy.com
I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  03:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
I got that from my Spring 2007 magazine. It is in the order form but maybe it is wrong. Do you get An Encouraging Word? I got you a subscription to that a while back and I wondered if you ever received it.
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  06:46:02 AM  Show Profile
Living next to and being included in two Amish families with a total of 14 children between them, we never stop learning from them! They like to call me so we can go on shopping excursions to places I've never been! Sometimes, I am the only "Englischer" in an Amish store.We go material shopping, dry goods shopping, grocery shopping, and to an occassional auctiion. They seem to be very comfortable here in our home. We see each other more in the spring and summer. I think they have accepted me with open arms because of our simple and family oriented lifestyle. I go in their house and visit with them and they let me hold their little ones. They make rootbeer soda out of a syrup and boy is it good! We had popcorn and rootbeer one day when my grandson and I walked up there. They are very strict when it comes to them being in their buggies...they are not allowed to look around or wave. But.........when they pass my house on their way to church you see hands sticking out all over the place! I am so blessed! This past Christmas, I got the three older girls two pillowcases each for them to crossstitch. They do handwork and put them in their wooden chests for when they get married. November is a busy time for them because that is the wedding month. Weddings rarely occur outside of this month. And, then along August and September, we have babies being born all over the place!

When a couple is married, for a month after the event they visit those who were at their wedding. Annie buys each couple one dozen spoons as a housewarming gift. She bought a hundred dollars worth of spoons one time at the dry goods when I was with her!

The upstairs in their house is not heated. The kids wear sweaters and scarves to bed when it's really cold. The parents sleep downstairs with the babies until they're old enough to sleep with the oldest son. In other words, the parents bedroom has a crib in it for years!

I am just so blessed by God to live here next to my "family". My garden is plowed every year by six belgian horses attached to a plow with an Amishman driving it. No noise. Just a whinney now and then. We share vegetables and fruits from our gardens. Our dogs visit each other.

I wear long dresses or skirts and don't need a lot of gadgets to make my life complete. I sew, knit, crochet, can, freeze, and have a huge garden. Living simply means contentment to me. I am content. And, I always am willing to learn from my wonderful neighbors. You are a blessing to me, too, Elizabeth, and I so enjoy reading your "clothesline" talk. Have a "simply" wonderful weekend everyone! Susan
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Wow thanks for all of the replies. I am intrigued by the no buttons and zippers. Also by the dozen spoons as wedding gifts. Does it have any symbolic meaning attached?

I am comfortable in my crunchy ways, DH would want to live off the grid. Ed Begley, Jr. is his hero.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Susan-

I love the description you gave us. It makes me want to move in next door to you!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile
We would all welcome you with open arms! Susan
Go to Top of Page