Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I am taking an online college course...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I am taking an online college course... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  2:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
it is my last one before I graduate with my Associates so maybe I am extra sensitive or something but....the class is English Literature. We have a reader's circle and other students have input into our responses on what we read and our compositions on what we thought. There is one student who acts more like she is grading us rather than responding with input. I don't mind something negative or constructive, but she goes through everyone's post and critics like she is the instructor. If I don't understand someone's post, I think of a thoughtful way to pose a question, without coming off as a know it all....does that make sense??? I guess what I am saying she thinks her posts are all correct when someone critics her but she certainly likes to dole out the uneeded comments. Some people have a harder time with this class and I can tell everyone is putting in their two cents with a good deal of thought behind it. Should I point it out to the instructor or just let it be? I mean, I don't want to come off as nasty, but it is annoying.

Cheers,
Heather

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  2:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
I teach at a community college and I have taught online classes before. I wouldn't mention this to the instructor. If he/she is any good they already know it and if they don't know it, then they aren't very good and your bringing it up won't help. I have seen it all in my classes(24 years) and people like this show up every now and again. My advice would be to suck it up and keep doing the good job that you have been doing. Really, I think the instuctor should have made a post about this already. Something along the lines of respecting others work and questions are fine but no student should be judging another. I have had this happen in class and online and have had do that. Just keep telling yourself "This is my last class". If she is doing to everyone just know it's not only you. I am sure the other students are fed up as well. I don't think I was much help but I do feel for you having seen this before. Take care.
Merle
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  3:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Merle. I did decide to send off an email to the instructor as she crossed the line of her posting to another student. Basically, she accused the student of not reading the assignment and that her work was sub par. That to me is crossing the line. But I do take what you have said into consideration and usually, I don't really pay attention to know it alls.
Thanks.

Cheers,

Heather
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Heather, At least you will be able to sleep tonight knowing that you came to the defense of your classmate. Best of luck and keep us posted on Miss "Know it all". Cindy
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  4:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,
As Merle said, I've been in online classes where students would sometimes do the same thing. Teachers know the annoying students and hopefully will kindly,creatively and firmly put them in their place. We all have the right to express ourselves and we are all there to learn. Try not to let the student upset you, but I know that is easier said than done.

That being said, Congrats on your last class! I'm graduating with my Associates degree next week!! So excited. It was hard to make it through the last class, but I have. You will too. Keep up the good work.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  4:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Congrat Debbie!!! That is awesome!! What is your degree in? I love school so much..really it is a passion of mine. I plan on always learning..

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  9:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Heather,
I do agree-she did cross the line. Some people seem to get thier jollies by knocking someone down. I see it at my school too. I don't know where it comes from. I will tell you the truth, I have learned just as much, if not more, from my students as they have from me. Maybe not about the subject matter I teach, but about so many other things. I would never do to a student what I would not want done to me. I am glad you did speak up. This teacher needs some sort of wake up call, but I doubt she will see herself. Good luck. It's amazing what that little piece of paper will do for you!
Merle
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  9:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I just got the email back from the instructor. She tells me this girl is really sweet and not to take in the wrong way but to me, she is not following directions, no matter how sweet she is. To accuse someone of not reading the assignment is wrong. Maybe the jsut don't understand, are slower in progression in the class, had a bad day, ate too much chocolate...who knows? I would prompt the writer with helpful questions to get them talking. Sounds fishy that instructor knows her so well..hmmm.. I can let it got....but...I will keep an eye on her. : )

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile
You know Heather, an instructor should never discuss a student with another student even if they are saying good things. And you are right about prompting a student about material. YOU sound like you would make an excellent teacher!! What is your major?
Merle
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ha!! Thanks Merle!! I spent 6 1/2 years in the military with youngsters who needed straigtening out...my nicknames were "Mama" and "Tank", as in get it done right now and right the first time. I didn't put up with any BS!! LOL
My major is Health Information Management- Focus on Administration but I do want to get my Master's in Teaching!!!
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  6:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Well now Tank--that explains it! My son is in graduate school for some kind of public health and policy. I can't keep that straight. It is great field. Keep up the good work.
Merle
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  9:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, the health field is confusing if you are outside the normal doctor and nursing jobs. It is hard to explain the job. But I am so excited. Thanks for the encouragment.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I am taking an online college course... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page