Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Is anything buried on your farm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Is anything buried on your farm? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  02:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Hi gals, I was wondering, have any of you found treasures buried on your farm? One of our friends found an entire truck buried beneath her pasture... And everytime I go out to clean our pasture, another golf ball un-earths itself. (previous owner used pasture as a driving range!) It is the strangest thing... If your farm is very old, there is probably an underground pit full of treasures, tho. Back in the old days, whatever did not get re-purposed was thrown in the garbage pit and buried. It is usually a treasure trove of old bottle, pottery, dishes, etc. Happy digging!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  03:08:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beverly,
My children have uncovered an old trash pit. Unfortunatly, all of the bottles are broken but we have found pretty pieces of china, old blue ball jar pieces, shoes, etc...
The neatest finds that we have found were not that old, only 20 years or so but it was a bunch of old toys. Our place was built around 1920.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  03:35:58 AM  Show Profile
After a good rain, our fields are full of arrowhead fragments.

At my parents old house, we'd find old marbles

I still find the occasional golfball in the fileds too.
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  05:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Lindy, I have seen people use those old broken pieces of china in a mosaic. Just in case you wanted something to do with them.....

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  06:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, where do I begin. I have been here for two years, and have found....
cast iron pots and pans
old bottles
old cook stoves
dishes
and still digging whenever the ground is moist.
MJ

Oh, and FIL tells me that the house was built in the 1800's.

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/

Edited by - EmmJay on May 08 2007 06:33:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  06:31:51 AM  Show Profile
That is all way too cool! I live in a boring circa 1980 ranch house- I think the only thing I would possibly dig up is someone's dead cat or something! Ack!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Reepicheep
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  06:53:35 AM  Show Profile
The guy that owned this house before us treated this place as a dumping ground. He was a young guy and we've been told by neighbors that he had wild outdoor parties here all the time.

After a good rain, we are continuing to find pieces of broken glass, beer bottles, beer bottle caps, pieces of broken hard plastic, money (coins), and a variety of other odds and ends.

http://naturalpaths.blogspot.com/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/onourway/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  06:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Mima...what a surprize. Ick. :) But who knows what was there before the house? I got so excited to find an old horseshoe in our field. Guess some draft horse lost it plowing pre-1940. Also discovered an old rock foundation yesterday, half buried. Fun to do home-archeaology. Never know what might turn up. DH's family found a whole mastadon around 100 yrs. ago in this area. Wouldn't that be something!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile
I've only ever found fossils and bottles, but when I was living in Cornwall England, a poor farm family down the road found one of the largest deposits of gold roman coins in the area where their cows walked to the barn everyday...What was significant about the coins was that they were minted in Londonium (Roman London), and not Rome. They were incredibly rare, and the family got quite a price for them!

Our museum also has a "privvy" exhibit about all the things that were thrown down privvy's for safekeeping or just disposal. Lots of china, children's dolls, jars of money etc...There's a local group that does "privvy recovery", too. I think I'd like to join up!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  07:26:06 AM  Show Profile
a cat! there is a little cross sitting on a hill .. and i'm told it was a beloved cat! and i know that another lady who lived here brought her cat's ashes and scattered them somewheres. a family stopped by the other day to visit the cabins .. said her family had lived here and that there used to be a big olde barn on the property .. can't see any signs of it today though .. sooo .. i'm sure there are some 'farm treasures' buried somewhere in the woods.

i used to go to an olde mining town in colorado and dig in the ancient dumps with a friend .. he would find all kinds of treasures .. i usually only found 'chards' of this 'n that!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  07:35:50 AM  Show Profile
The only things you will find in my yard are the remains of hamsters, cats, and chickens. :( Nothing very exciting at all. (Unless you like that sort of thing!) We have found small things that had been lost in the fire, but nothing of great worth. I wonder what any future residents will think of us? I shudder at the thought. :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  07:42:20 AM  Show Profile
Well I buried our old ferret out in the yard about 4 years ago and I dug up that area because we were relandscaping our yard and I wanted to move his little box. For the life of me I couldn't find the little guy, or his box for that matter. I didn't think I buried him that deep so now he is in an annual flower bed and gets new flowers over him every season. I'm sure he's happier that way. Other than that when we relandscaped the back yard all we found with the bobcat was cinderblocks and bricks from when they built our house. They buried alot of housing material in our backyard.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  07:49:34 AM  Show Profile
Arrowheads and marbles, broken flow blue china and a tiny doll ...go figure! Would be nice to think they coexisted here as our indigenous tribe (Lenae Lenape) were very friendly with settlers initially. We have also unearthed fossils of birds and fish that we took to our museum because they were very unusual. Not far from here in the middle of a field is an excavation site of an enormous dinosaur called Haddrosaurus something or other.
Apparently we are a transitional area (hence the eluvial soil) and dinos were all over. My son has been fascinated ever since he found his first fossil at age 3!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Well, some interesting things indeed!!! I live with my husband on his families homestead. This house has been here for over 200 years the house before that burned down. The land has been in his family for oh, 300 years, not quite sure....anyway...we are always finding bits of clay pots, china and bottles when planting trees or shrubs. The best place though is in our woods. Thereis an actual pile of "stuff" parts of cars, bones (from cows or pigs, whatever farm animal needed to be composted) I love going out there when the weather is nice and spending hours digging. We keep pigs in the woods and they sure do help me uncover things. One day I found a spoon. About the size of a table spoon, but it was "worn" down at the top. The spoon was monogramed with an "M" (family name MacFarlane) I thought, well, they must have gotten rid of this due to the wear at the top. Well, over the years I have found 5 more and they all have the same bit missing from the top. Any body out there know what these spoons are all about? Oh, BTW...there is a similar thread called "treasures in a scrap heap" if you are interested.

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  08:42:46 AM  Show Profile
A corner of our property was once a spot for making cane syrup. We found the round brick foundation of the cane cooker and thought it was an old well at first, and also found some really amazing bottles....they must have used any bottle available to put syrup in. We have also found a high top shoe, a doll's porcelain face, a skillet with a vine growing through it!, iron hinges, an old bicycle frame, belt buckles, and pottery. Every time it rains hard, we find shards of stuff....but the amythest flask shaped bottle we found, completely intact is our favorite.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  08:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Jonni, I think joining the privy recovery group would be a blast. I have an old bottle collection from a friend who used to do that privy archaeology. Well, girls you had me in stitches....I never thought about the actual burial grounds that we all probably own. I know that the previous owners of our farm buried one of their beloved horses by our orchard.....I place I know to NEVER dig!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  12:15:31 PM  Show Profile
We have a person buried way on the back side of our land! Her first name is elizabeth but that is all that is readable off of the stone. The stone is very weathered and is broken. There are no records of it being anyone in the family although my husbands family are the only ones who owned this land. I don't know who she is but I always talk to "her" when I go buy and try to leave flowers out there once or twice a year. If I could find out some more information about her I would love to have a new stone made.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow ladies!

You all have such interesting places! All I find in my yard is trash from previous tenants. Like broken beer bottles and such.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile
My husband's grandparents used the "gully" instead of taking things to the dump. So there are old farm implements, nest boxes, and lots of other farm equipment in there. He's pulled quite a few things out and given them to a guy we know to take to the recycling yard for scrap metal.

His uncle didn't believe in banks, so he buried his money in the yard in coffee cans. When he died, DH had quite a time digging up all the money to give it to the aunts and cousins, as his uncle had directed him. (He gave the most mouse-eaten money to the least favorite aunt...LOL.. his excuse was that her daughter worked at the bank...) I think he got it all, his uncle still had a good memory when he passed away, so no treasure hunts are forthcoming!

A couple of years ago we had to replace the dishwasher. Pulled it away from the wall, and there was $40 stuck in there. I guess Uncle thought that would be a good start toward replacing it some day....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  5:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Not my farm, but a local woman who happens to be the principal of a privte school here, buried a cow on her property. This school happens to focus on hands-on, interactive, integrated teaching methods. So, several years later when she was sure that the cow had disintigrated into bones, she focused on the year's lesson plans on archeology/anthropology. She arranged for an archeological dig on her property. The students "discovered" the cow, recorded and classified each bone, and ultimately reconstructed the skeleton in the lobby of the school.

Not everybody appreaciates that style of learning...but I think that is SO cool!

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  6:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sandy-

That sounds like it would have been a lot of fun! I had the opportunity to go on a few real digs growing up and always found them fascinating!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  7:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Our place dates back to around the Civil War. I can't imagine there aren't lots of things under the surface. The cement for the privy is still in the sod. We've found bottles, square nails, bits of pottery, a broken crock, the ivory ring from a harness, lots of old mule shoes with caulks, messages written in the old cement, and the usual graveyard stuff; there are three horses that I buried, some dogs, cats, etc.

When I find things like the square nails, I can't help but wonder who dropped them and when. Were they distracted? In a hurry? Thinking about the work ahead? It's odd to think how the last person who touched it didn't know about computers, polyester, television, and perhaps not even cars or telephones. His world had birdsong, wind, the soft breathing of mules and the clank of harness and plow, and the shrill whistle of a steam engine from the railroad tracks a half mile north.
Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  05:32:46 AM  Show Profile
Our place was bulit in 1917. We occasionally find things. My grandmother's place in Rice, Va is very interesting. The union and confederate armies crossed her farm on the way to Appomattox. Lot's of neat things were found.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  06:59:02 AM  Show Profile
All my kids have gone to Biola University in So. Calif. A couple years ago they were building a new dorm and found the bones of a Wooley Mammoth! Seriously! That was kinda cool!
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  07:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Nothing. We're the first ones here; had to log the trees in order to create a building site.

Sandy, I want to go to that school! That sounds like too much fun, and I'll bet the kids learned so much.

Julie, I'd love if you'd email me a pic of Elizabeth! I'll put it on the cemetery blog.

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  07:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Tracy I will try. The spot is a little tough to get to this time of year.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Is anything buried on your farm? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page