Author Outpost: Previous Topic Women in the Outdoors Next Topic  

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  05:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Something farmgirls might be interested in:
http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org/wito/?SUBSITE=wito

The National Wild Turkey Federation sponsors these events. It's a chance for girls to try out stuff without guys around to make them feel stupid.
I attended one about 6 years ago. We fished, shot handguns and clay targets, tried archery. They also had game dressing, canoeing and outdoor cooking, and they fed us lunch. All the while surrounded by handsome Division of Wildlife officers, lol.

It was a good time and I was encouraged to become more educated about handguns. I now own two and have a concealed carry permit.

Look one up in your area and try something new!

Polly

www.favoriteapron.blogspot.com

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  05:50:54 AM  Show Profile
We're outdoors women. My youngest daughter has recently decided that as much as she loves to cook (passionately), she can't work inside. Instead of becoming a chef she's considering the Parks & Rec program and would like a job as a park ranger or guide. Next week she and six of her classmates are going on a three night/four day camping trip on the Allagash River in northern Maine. They'll canoe 30 miles, sleep in tents (30°'s at night and still snow up there right now), fish and cook what they catch over an open fire, refresh the map and compass skills they've already learned, and more. This is a guided trip paid for with an environmental grant the school applies for and is given almost every year. There will be three boys and four girls on the trip.

Robin

www.thymeforewe.com
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  08:03:55 AM  Show Profile
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/Bow/index.htm

Illinois has a Becoming an Outdoors Woman program. They cover the following:

Shotgunning I & II - Rifle Marksmanship
Archery I & II - Basic Camping
Canoeing I & II (river trip) - Outdoor Cooking
Basic Fishing - Nature Crafts
Fly Fishing = Horseback Riding
Orienteering I & II = Birding
Handguns = Firearms Safety
Muzzleloading = Wild Edibles
Outdoor Survival = Scuba
Nature Photography = Medicinal Plants
Native American Pottery = Water Skiing
Biking = Turkey or Deer Hunting

I'd like to become more educated about handguns. My hubby has been encouraging me to do so as well. I'd love a class on Medicinal Plants.

Edited by - City Chick on May 14 2007 08:04:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile
your daughter is quite an outdoorswoman! my daughter went backpacking in the marin headlands, and came back almost hysterical and swearing she'd never go outdoors again....something about invading racoons, and bad drinking water. i hope your daughter has a good time. it sounds great

farmgirl at heart
my cause: afghans for afghans
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  05:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Steve and Taylor and the rest of the group are on the Allagash River this week. It's cold and raining. They will probably wake up to an inch of snow tomorrow morning. Temps are in the high 20's tonight and tomorrow night. I wish they had better weather. I'll have a pot of hot soup and a batch of fresh rolls waiting for them when they get home Friday.

If there's anyone in Maine who would like to hike in Baxter State Park with me I'd be happy to coordinate a trip. We could meet in Millinocket, carpool into the park, and hike into Sandy Stream Pond to see the moose. From there we could go to a small pond with a nice sandy beach for lunch. It's a very early morning in order to see the moose up close and personal but it's well worth it.

http://www.thymeforewe.com/baxter_state_park1.html
http://www.thymeforewe.com/baxter_state_park2.html

Robin

www.thymeforewe.com
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Women in the Outdoors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page