Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 And the Fabric is Where?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic And the Fabric is Where? Next Topic  

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  8:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I can't be the only one with this problem. I have sewn since I was 12 and I'm 49 now. Made all my own clothes since 7th grade and before that my mom, who was a seamstress, made my clothes. When you walked into a fabric store there were stands of fabric bolts with coordinating fabrics so that you could pick out something for, say, a skirt and then another for a blouse. Even the clearance was organized that way and anything less than a couple of yards was just folded flat and stacked on tables.
Ok, I stopped sewing after my second was born, not enough time and now she is 19 and I'm trying to get back to it.
Soooo.... WHERE IS THE FABRIC??? There are fabrics for quilts and fuzzy stuff (fleece) for blankets and beyond that, not so much. Where are the shirt fabrics and twills for skirts??? Where is the stuff to make clothes??? Does anyone make clothes??? Without spandex??? I'm venting here, frustration getting the best of me.
I can walk into a fabric store and buy lamps and framed art and curtain fabric for the entire neighborhood. But make myself a shirt and blouse??? Hmph!!!

Jana

Edited by - Jana on May 06 2007 9:03:15 PM

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  04:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Jana, I agree and it is getting more difficult every day to find fabric! I search everywhere myself. I have ended up finding clothing to repurpose. Many shops carry lots of stuff for quilting too, but I don't quilt.

Now I do have to admit, that the Hancock Fabrics here does have a nice selection of clothing fabrics, but the price is prohibitive!! So it is a very really problem for home sewers. There are many online fabric sources, but call me old fashioned, but I like to feel and drape my fabric before buying it!!

Oh, and I too am 49 and have sewn practically all of my life too!

Hope you can find some fabric soon.....
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.wordpress.com/
My new apron's only blog!

Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  06:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Jana - we have a huge Joann Fabrics here and they sell tons of apparel fabric - you can also buy lots of their fabric online, but I know some people like to touch fabric first. A lot of sites will send you swatches, and some even have a subscription where they send you swatches every month for a small yearly fee. They also send something to attach the swatches to that gives you information about the swatch and the price. This is great because they are color coordinated and you can start a collection, plan ahead, get samples as the seasons change and watch for sales. I think fabric online is very reasonable, and if you sign up for their newsletter, they send out notices of sales that you wouldn't know about otherwise. Here a few sites you can check out. Good luck!

Linda
http://www.denverfabrics.com/
http://www.lurasfabricshop.com/index.htm
http://www.sewmamasew.com/
http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric.aspx?Source=LeftNav
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  07:22:58 AM  Show Profile
I have found the smaller local stores have a better selection for clothing options. there is a lady here who has a store, a small house actually, and the first floor is full of patterns and apparel fabric. She also does alterations (she did the slight changes to my grandmothers 1940's dress that I wore for my wedding).
If you are willing to wait the turn around time, most online fabric stores will send a sample to you, so you can feel it and drape it... ie www.fabric.com

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  08:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Georgeann,
I agree with you, 1/2 the fun of shopping for fabric was "handling" it, feelings it's drape, holding the bolt of fabric against you as if it were a dress.
Since our nearest Hancocks Fabric closed it's doors and the nearest Wally(mart)World is closing out their fabrics in a few weeks I have to drive over to the next town to Joann's, but they don't have a very good selection of clothing fabrics. They do have a ton of quilting fabrics.
I check out ebay & e-fabric stores, I even search specific fabric company's to see their latest lines, but again, it's not the same.
Before I forget, I made my mom a Mother's Day apron from a plaid (red/blue) shirt that I got for 99cents @ the G.W. store. Thanx for the great tutorial.
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  09:23:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your responses. I should have mentioned that we have a Hancock fabrics here but it has next to nothing for apparel. My husband drove me 90 miles to Minneapolis to a Joann's. I was there about a year ago and they had LOTS of apparel fabric. Sunday when we went, they had changed everything and had barely any. I will check out the websites you posted and go from there.
Repurposing IS an option for me, too. As I'm sitting at the computer reading, I am taking the belt loops off of a denim skirt. I will be shortening it a bit also. Though I'm 5'7" and a voluptuous (LOL) size 18w, I can't deal with skirts that go to the ankles.. Just below mid-calf for me. I'll be off to buy a pattern or two and stop by the big Savers store that just opened.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  11:44:40 AM  Show Profile
I went to a JoAnns not too long ago and walked around forever looking for the wool. I finally asked the cutting counter lady where it was and she said they didn't have any! This was wool for clothing, not the plain wool for crafting. I was surprised, they always used to have it. She wasn't happy about that either.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  4:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Jana,
Remember when Northwest fabrics in EC (Hancock's now)was full from front to back with fabric for sewing?
I really miss those days too. I walk into Hancock's and it's getting hard to find fabric for clothes, good thing when I worked at Minnesota Fabrics (10 years ago)I stocked up!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  01:08:44 AM  Show Profile
I think each Joann's must be different. Mine is about 1/3 fabric, and it is a super store. In the evening there are usually 3 girls cutting fabric. So I must live by a lot of sewers... and the quilt section is not that big compared to other stores.

But for linen silk and clothing fabric, I typically cruise Ebay. There are a couple of sellers who must get the end of bolts (usually 5- 10 yards)from the garment district. They are typically suit wools, cottons and silks that you cant typically find the quality at a regular fabric store and they are very reasonably priced.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  04:26:38 AM  Show Profile
I have heard from several people now that the Joann fabric/craft stores are all different. Ours is a gigantic store and here in the middle of Baltimore and DC, there is a huge demand for apparel fabric because so many people are either getting back into sewing or are having someone sew custom for them. And so the store caters to that. But I also look for fabric on ebay - you can find some great deals if you know what you are looking for and are familiar with the actual fabric content. I sew alot, but not many clothes - I don't get as much enjoyment out of it - it's harder for me than making home dec stuff, quilting or baby gift stuff. Good luck in your search, but do try some of the site I listed previously.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  05:01:34 AM  Show Profile
The Joann's Fabric store here in Owings Mills is terrible...It is piled hig with boxes full of craft stuff and the fabrics are not good...you have to practically scoot thur the aisle to get to pattern books.. So horrible, and I love to sew and have not been able to find any really good fabric that after 2 washings becomes a rag for washing cars...

margie
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  11:39:16 AM  Show Profile
Margie - you really need to visit the Joann's in Columbia - it has tons of great fabric - more so than craft items and is always very organized and clean and the staff are great - it is totally different than any other Joann store I have ever been in - its not that far from you - it's on Route 175 between Route 29 and I-95 - very easy from Owings Mills - let me know if you need specific directions!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  4:09:09 PM  Show Profile
We don't really have a great selection of clothing fabric at our Joann's either. If I need heirloom fabric I used to go to a great childrens heirloom fabric store but they just closed. Now if I need wool or silk or other fabric I have to order online or I can go to Buckhead fabric salon but they have ridiculous prices for some of their fabric. It seems like everyone has a ton of quilting and upolstering fabric but no clothing fabric.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  05:17:30 AM  Show Profile
I hit garage sales and estate sales for fabric.
Jana, have you tried asking some of the women with a local sewing group where they get their fabric? They might know of some great little fabric store in someone's basement or back room.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  05:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone;

After reading this thread last night I decided to pop over to Jo-Anns website and I sent them a short email explaining the problem and suggested that they check out this thread to see what they can do to increase their sales. I don't know if they will listen but if all of us start sending them a "lot" of emails and what we're looking for in fabric ----- it just might get their attention!!!!!!! At least it's worth a try. What do you think?????

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  05:57:24 AM  Show Profile
I agree, the Joann by me is maybe 30-40% fabtic, and the rest of the store is for crafts. They have a huge selection of home dec and quilting fabrics, but clothing-quality fabric is almosy nonexistent. I've been searching high and low of oxford cloth to no avail. I have a problem with the "WalMart-ization" in general of stores trying to carry a little bit of everything, instead of focusing on carrying a good selection of what one would think they would specialize in.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  06:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to hear of all these complaint's our wal-mart has a big selection it is the second highest selling store in the chain so it isn't closing it is getting bigger. As for fabric stores there are at least 20 in a 30 mile radius of my house. I think this tells more about the community that you live in than the stores. If an area has a lot of seamstresses there will be a wide variety and lots of it. If you don't then the businesses go away.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on May 09 2007 07:21:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine- You are absolutely right. The stores will provide what the customers dictate. Our JoAnne's closed last year. Which was a good thing because it was horrible. Too many craft things, not enough nice fabrics and it was always a mess. Our WalMart has closed down it's fabric department, which is such a surprise because it was always busy there. Every Home Ec student in the county bought their fabric from WalMart! The Hancock's nearby is turning into more of a crafty-type place as well. Sadness. And it too is always a mess. There was a little store in Cincinnati called Banasch's that had lovely fabrics- just very pricey. But they carried fabrics from England, which you hardly ever see here. I hope that JoAnne's does read this thread. And Hancock's and even WalMart. That's such a great idea to send it out. How else do we get our voices heard?

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  1:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Our Hancocks fabric store recently closed. Our JoAnn's is really more crafts and then some material. But you know....crafts and sewing is like on the way out or something. I work at ACMoore and we sell purses and wallets and headbands and wedding invitations already printed up and so forth. It's kind of creepy for me. It's like our craft store has more commercial merchandise than crafts. And, it used to be when I went to a fabric store it was so overwhelming and overflowing with beautiful material that I thought I'd died and gone to fabric heaven! I've often wondered why here, in beautiful Lancaster County, home to many, many outlets, why we don't have a material outlet? I'd work there if they got one! Susan
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  2:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Our Hancock's is closing too!! I wonder why??? I am going to pop in this afternoon to see if I can find some apron material. Any suggestions on type of material??
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  10:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Just an update! I received a reply from JoAnn Fabrics that sounds hopeful and here's part of it:

Thank you for your email message and sharing a website chat concerning the lack of apparel fabrics for many of our sewing guests. We appreciate the constructive feedback and will be more than happy to share with our fabric merchants.

It can be a very difficult task to service and met all of our guests fabrics interest nationwide. Each guest has their own personal fabric/color selections in mind that an range from cottons, polyesters, to wool suitings and at a competitive fair market price. We have found from past experiences that some fabrics sell better in select areas. Hopefully, in the future, we can improve on fabric assortments based on interest and market areas.

With Hancocks closing and Wal-Mart reducing their fabric selections, we have an open opportunity to capture sewing guests.

So ladies, like I said - send them your requests and we just might see some great results!!
Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic And the Fabric is Where? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page