Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 MaryJane's new STICHERY book .. book club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's new STICHERY book .. book club Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  6:22:36 PM  Show Profile
oh lawdy! lawdy! chilluns .. we were in town today (got two of them thar big-butt TV's!) .. gonna' have to kivver 'em up with quilts and american flags .. those modern contraptions jus' don't "GO" in these olde cabins ... BUT .. i sure do like my 'silly sitcoms' and MOVIES while sewing dollies .. soooo .. guess i won't complain too much .. i've been sitting 3 inches from the teeensy tv screen in my kitchen for three years now!

but ... anyhooooooooo .. Barnes and Noble Bookstore is right next door to Best Buy .. soooooooo ... i scooted over there and asked if they had MJ's book in yet .. THEY DID .. i got TWO copies .. one for me and one for my very bes' childhood gurlfren who i will see next week when we do our 'riverboat' cruise together!

howsome-ever ... whut i wanted to say is .. let's do a book discussion .. those of us that already have it .. tell us your favs in the book .. i just got home .. tried to strain my eyeballs in the dark as we rode home .. and just got on the computer when i walked through the door ... soooo ... i haven't read it yet .. but i DID so adore that hankie WATCHBAND .. gonna' take the strap offa' mine and do that little trick!

i did notice my two little yo-yo quilts in there too!

i'll hit the bed with book in hand tonight (put those dollies to bed early!) and will write more of it .. but .. let's hear your favorite sewie projects and jus' anything you wish to rave about it!

xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  9:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the instructions on how to Tat since I had never heard of it before! She has extremely clear and concise instructions. Even though I haven't had a chance to try it yet, I am feeling really confident that I will be able to do it once I sit down and try.

I also love the stories in the book as well.

Heck! I love the whole book! What do you mean pick a favorite section! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  04:17:11 AM  Show Profile
gosh alee ..i tried tatting once .. it about drove me nutz! but i might have to try again .. even if i end up on the 'funny FARM'! i have just gotten all the supplies to do 'needlepunch' .. (like rug hooking .. only with EMBROIDERY thread!) tried that one once too .. and got the heebie jeebies .. i really must learn to just sit still longer with projects that 'seem' more tedious to me! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  06:19:01 AM  Show Profile
I want to do the crocheted rag rug among about twenty other things. I have been making rag balls out of my sons pants (that he put holes in by sliding across the floor) ever since we saw Mary Jane, Meg and family in Columbia. I thought it would make a good rug for his room. Do you ladies think that will work? Just normal cotton pants. I need to learn how to crochet first, the tutorial looks like I may even be able to accomplsh that! Anyway I am still working on all the projects I wanted to do from the first book. My apron is coming along wonderfully. I am so proud of myself. I think I may be overextending, but everything is so pretty and fun! The stitching book is wonderful!

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  07:41:40 AM  Show Profile
I sat up last night until about 1:30 AM reading the book. :) I had been making pinkeeps and was too energized to sleep!! (Much to my husband's chagrin.) I have made a list of things I want to make already. YIKES! I still have purses to make for the Etsy shop. I see some clever manipulation of time in my future.
MaryJane, you have done it again- created a beautiful, easy to fall into book for the farmgirl in all of us.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  09:51:03 AM  Show Profile
I want to make one of *EVERYTHING*!!!!

But that isn't doing me much good for a starting point or settling on a favorite, is it?

I think the "Pinkeeper" project is my first step. I *so* do not like the little store-bought tomato that I've had. It's just like all of the other little store-bought tomatoes...it has no character and says nothing about *me*.

Then my next project is a Jo-Jacket. What a wonderful little way to keep more corrugated goo out of our landfills *and* express something about our individual personalities at the same time.

Then I'll be off to re-learn crochet. I miss my grandmother - she crocheted. By the time I had "...squirreled-down..." enough to learn beyond the basics (thanks, ADHD) she had aged beyond a point that she couldn't teach me any longer. I want to "warm up" a bit before I get there, though, which is why this is project #3 and not #1. Reconnecting with things that remind me of grandma is bound to bring up an entire heap of emotions that I haven't faced since her death, the death of my daughter, other family issues...I'm sure you all have faced a similar drill.

Then tatting. How cool is *that*? I am so psyched to learn the needle tatting, and possibly some day to learn how to shuttle-tat.

I think overall, I am just so excited to be with a group of women who are committed to keeping so many of the home-made needle arts alive. To me, the difference between home-made and hand-made is that home-made workw from rough patterns -- non-specific patterns to enlarge sometimes accompanied by full-color examples. Hand-made items, to me, are worked from pre-printed patterns that are mass-produced and are fully scripted for colors and designs. What is so exciting is that so many of us are willing to learn these skills, to keep them from becoming something of the past, the products of which could only be found in museums. We are so excited to learn about skills that are *new* to us (some of us, anyway!) but which have been around and *old* for quite some time.

I guess all of that to say: I'm so excited to be here and can't wait see what all of *y'all* are doing, too... ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  10:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
interesting I always considered something handmade a well made items not mass produced and home made as a little more on the rustic side. Funny different perspective.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  11:50:59 AM  Show Profile
kaylyn .. i have a friend who collects the 'olde' tomatoes .. it is amazing how many different 'styles' were made! she keeps them in a HUGE glass jar .. oh so charming! i've actually 'tea stained' the newer ones .. beat 'em up a little bit .. added some olde buttons, rusty pins and such .. and used them for my 'sewphie' dolls. putting an olde one with a dolly would make the price go way up.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  11:53:07 AM  Show Profile
oh my yes .. home-made, hand-made do have different 'memories' for us. HAND-MADE to me (growing up) meant something 'artistic' .. and HOME-MADE was the many little dresses (quite adorable!) that our nannie made for me and my sister.

Today .. these terms are somewhat intertwined for me .. and pretty much both mean .. 'made from the heart'. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  12:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I like your answer frannie

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  11:38:35 AM  Show Profile
Frannie:

I would have to agree - both are from the heart. And I didn't mean to imply that one was somehow "better" than the other. Goodness knows that I wouldn't be able to do my free-hand cross-stitch nowadays if I hadn't first started on printed cross-stich aida cloth, then moved to counted cross-stitch patterns with the defined DMC colors. I guess it's just my own personal semantic definition and I do apologize if I caused any offense.

I'm just really looking forward to these patterns and ideas in the new book. We're given "dimensional" patterns. Everything else - color choice, fabric choice, embellie choice - is up to us. I guess I like that it feels "...handed down..." or "...passed along..." moreso than most of the patterns that I've used in the past. Something about it seeming like a chain of womanry is appealing to me, while at the same time knowing that an oppressive element that may have once been there is ostensibly missing. Knowing that I am keeping these arts alive by choice rather than necessity and misogyny is imbuing a sense of creative freedom that I haven't felt before. So I guess that's how I've defined my excitement in making my "homemade" items rather than the "handmade" things that have taken more patterned control and less of my personal imaginative inspiration.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  08:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Got the book Saturday after spending much of the day at the Living Gren Expo in MN. It had started to rain pretty good so we thought a quick stop at thebookstore and a hot cup of Joe would be perfect. I immediately went to the help desk and asked for Maryjane Butters. The young man took me straight away to a wonderful display of MJ's books. Only a couple of these left! I grabbed my copy and another book on soap making and my husband with his book we settled in with our books and coffee - I couldn't wait to read it when I got home- I sat there for a good hour before we made our purchases and left.
Hubby thought it pretty cool that I have an MJ bag with the stitched Farmgirl at Heart on it just like in the book. We discussed the way there is something more to an item that has been hand did than one store bought as he couldn't see the reason someone would take all that time to make something they could simply buy. The complexity of some of the things baffled him and he wondered how it was first created- especially the lace tutorial.

I am so very excited to try some of these- especially the yo-yo quilt and of course first is the pin keeper= worked on that all weekend.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.firehousesoapcompany.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  7:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I carry her book and a magazine around with me so I am never stuck without great reading material. I have so many projects started right now that I am scared to start more until my project pile is a bit more manageable. After warming up on some pin keepers I am going to try my hand at some yo-yo's. Perhaps even a yo-yo quilt!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  04:43:55 AM  Show Profile
I really want to do the Rag rugs....I made one when I was 17.uhmmmmmmmmm a few years ago. and would love that as a project to do for winter.....Pin cushions and do-dads don't interest me.....

Margie
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  11:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie ~ is it primitive at all? I have debating buying it, but you know me ~ primitive to the core. I guess I could use the basic skills......as much as I love the MJ book, the crafts were a little too "modern" for me. I asked for a Barnes and Noble gift card for Mother's Day, so maybe I will treat myself with the book.
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Ok I am going to have to make the money happen and order the book. I have so many thing that I need to do already... and this is just going to make me want to do more. I just If I get all the thing I need to do first... then I can move to the want list.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Hooray! My book finally came in the post today. I have my cup of jasmine tea, fresh banana chocolate chip muffins, and an entire afternoon to myself to read it

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  6:23:40 PM  Show Profile
I am really interested in making the rag rugs lately. In the future, I would like to make a few woolen braided rugs as well. For now, I am working on tea towels, aprons (just enlarged the one with the bib on it while at school), and quilts. I enlarged the tea towel patterns from the book already too. I have got to stop working!! If only it were that simple, huh?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  6:40:29 PM  Show Profile
My mil and I cleaned out our Barnes and Noble! I keep reading my MJ stitching book and rereading it and every time I read it I find something I didn't see the last time I read it! It inspired me to try needle tatting. I already shuttle tat but MJ's instructions are the best!! She just has a way of teaching that makes it completly understandable! And this is coming from someone who is a show me kind of learner not a read and do learner! But I did it with MJ's great instructions!

All you girls are so inspriational!
Daisy

Thistle Sprig Farm
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  05:19:14 AM  Show Profile
I have wanted to learn to do Tatting for many years and after MaryJanes Book I really got the Tatting bug....I just have to find the needles..I do not know what the shuttlecock is,so I am just on a mission to find needles at the moment..

Margie

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So has anyone been doing the tatting? I really want to try but need to wait to buy some needles. I have a rag rug in progress. Anyone else have some MJF Stitching Room projects started?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  12:35:32 AM  Show Profile
I just got the book tonight. I'm definitely going to re-learn to crochet -- only did a couple of projects years and years ago. Then I want to learn to tat. The apron is next -- love the ruffle at the hem.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  05:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
sound like every on eis super busy working from this book. Hey guess what I noticed this was my 3000 post yikes thats a lot. I talk to much.

Edited by - sunshine on May 27 2007 05:40:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  08:00:10 AM  Show Profile
sunshine .. when with the 'gurlfrenz' .. no such thing as 'talking too much'!!! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile
oh .. and gurlfren .. i'm wanting to post some neat ideas i see in some books i got this week .. soooo .. i'll be 'yakking' a lot too! don't you love when gurlfrenz get together .. how we can all seem to talk at the same time and still hear everything everyone says! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  4:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I am working on making a rag rug for my daughter's bedroom. What projects are you ladies working on?

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's new STICHERY book .. book club Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page