Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cheesemaking Next Topic  

beckyhooper
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

becky
Vienna maine
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  5:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Send beckyhooper a Yahoo! Message
we have a chapter here in vienna, maine, called farmgirl friends- and our newest project we love to do is make homemade cheeses! i took a class from a friend a few weeks ago, and have taught the other members, we really enjoy it! does anyone else make cheese out there? as resourceful as we all are, i bet many of you do! would love to hear from you! happy farmgirling!

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  11:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I know that Aunt Jenny does - from dear Mona's milk! It really sounds like so much fun - and I LOVE different kinds of cheese. I can't wait until I have a "milkable" cow!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  10:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Becky, Wish Icould of taken a cheese making class. I make cheese. Or at least try. I do colby, either pressed or curds. (I am from Wisconsin, what else can I say) Also make cream cheese, sour cream, chevre, moz.. I have not tried to age any cheese yet. Really don't have anywhere to do it. I just got a cheese press the other day, and used it yesterday. I have been using a buttermilk culture, but did order a meso. starter, but have not made it up yet. Also make kefir. I have a jersey cow, Summer. I have been freezing milk too. Not sure how it will taste, but thought I would try for when Summer is dry. I made cottage cheese today, but my family does not care for it if it is too sour. So have had only one batch that they have liked. I have made ricotta too. Hope to hear from you. And welcome to the forum. Michele
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  3:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Homemade cheese is so fun!!! I would start off with something easy that doesn't require a starter culture and/or a chese press. Queso Blanco can be made easily in an afternoon and enjoyed soon after the curds are hung to drain. I would really recommend Home Cheese Making by Rikki Carroll.

Have fun!!!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile
I have done lots and lots of mozzarella (very easy!!) and ricotta, and some yogurt cheese that I use like cream cheese. I hope to take it further and try others this summer. Only 3 more weeks until Mona calves and in 4 weeks we will have the milk rolling in again!!! Yay!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  06:48:28 AM  Show Profile
aunt jenny, more mona pictures please!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  09:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Becky!

I just picked up two gallons of whole cow's milk yesterday so that I can make mozzarella and ricotta this week.

Robin

www.thymeforewe.com
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Anyone want to do a quick tutorial here? I am getting some fresh goat milk - got a recipe?

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.firehousesoapcompany.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  10:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Try www.gourmetsleuth.com/cheeserecipes.htm looks like there is info for alot of cheese recipes.

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on May 07 2007 10:15:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  05:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Beth, I ordered a cheese making kit from Hoeggers Goat supply, when I first got my cow. It had a book with it by Mary Jane Toth, I think. It was helpful for me. I have been using cultered buttermilk as a starter, as in her book. Since then I got Rikki Carroll's book, and that is very good too. What are you looking to make with your milk? Michele
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  6:47:28 PM  Show Profile
I have made it before. The last time we were here in KS I went to the dairy in Alma to get rennet and they gave me enough for over 1000 pounds of cheese!!!

My friend Carrie was in the process of making Feta when I left OK. Yes, she was milking her sheep Meg.

blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  8:45:03 PM  Show Profile
another site with a great tutorial is New England Cheesemaking supply. I know they have a website..great one..but not sure of the *******. I will try to find it.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on May 08 2007 8:45:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  9:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thank you so much for the tip Jenny!! Very interesting page with tons of info! I am always so glad to learn from those who know places for good advice and information! Thank you!
Hugz!
Talitha

PS the link for those who want to check it out is

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cheesemaking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page