Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic tableware? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  08:32:53 AM  Show Profile
I need some ideas for dinnerware, please. DH would like something that can go in the microwave and I simply would like it to be pretty.
We have a casual stoneware set that is starting to lose pieces, gain chips etc. I would enjoy using our myott finlandia china, but I do not want that being abused by the microwave.
So anyway what do y'all use and what will stand up to a growing toddler "helping" put things away or setting table?

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  08:36:43 AM  Show Profile
No toddler here, but I can be pretty tough on dishes (I'm not the most careful person with washing dishes, and I've broke my share of glasses in the sink!) I love Corelle; it comes in lots of pretty patterns, is easy to find and is microwaveable. Corelle can stand up pretty well to my butterfingers!

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  09:31:01 AM  Show Profile
I had corelle when my oldest boys were little..it is sure durable..I still kept a couple of the platters ...great for barbquing...but now I use my "good dishes" for everything. They are old..and I have alot of them..Colonial Homestead by Royal..sort of a currier and Ives looking picture of a colonial house on the inside with a fireplace scene and all...with small parts from that picture on the other peices of dishes from the set...but anyway....microwave I don't do with them. I would recomend corelle too..easy to find too. Boy I said alot just to say..
I agree...Corelle.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:56:12 AM  Show Profile
I grew up with Corelle - and I think that's what I'll work back into as my current dishes chip their way out of the house. Yep - Corelle. I like the plain white because it goes with anything - you can dress it up or down...

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Libbie. The white corelle is the best. It goes with homespun and paper napkins right on through to linen and holiday decorations. My corelle survived well with 4 kids and has been great in the microwave.

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Reepicheep
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  06:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Another vote for Corelle. The only pattern we have in Corelle is a Christmas tree, but we use it (along with our other "casual everyday" china that we received for our wedding) on a daily basis year-round. LOL

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/merryhearthomestead/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/onourway/
Go to Top of Page

lambgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Heidi
Ellensburg wa
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  08:05:11 AM  Show Profile
I have Fiesta ware. I collect it in all colors. It is very durable even when my DH or kids drop it. It is great in the microwave too.

Heidi
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  08:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I have a 50 person place setting that is white with raised flowers and fruits and such ( easy to find at most thrift stores (that is how I got such a large set) I have cups, mugs, coffee cups,tea cups, saucers, salad plates, small and large serving bowls tureens and serving platers in about 10 different sizes.....etc to much to list.

I just collected these at different thrift stores took about 1 year to collect the cool thing is they are all white with raised patterns. I actually have about 10 different patterns but when you set them all together it looks like it is just supposed to be that way and you don't really notice no one has yet who doesn't live in my house they always say it must be nice to have such a large set of dishes.

They are made by Gibson and are microwave safe. If one gets chipped I don't really care to much as they are all 25 to 50 cent each easy to replace next time at the thrift store.

If you wounder why I have such a large set or wanted such a large set is my husband is one of 9 kids. 6 have spouses and about 15 nieces and nephews and more are being born all the time place we have lots of cousins and aunts and uncles local. A sit down formal Christmas or thanksgiving takes a lot of plates. Got it covered for a few years might have to add more later.

I also have luncheon sets ( 100 of those) from the 1930's-1970 all the same company easy to find at thrift stores they look like cut crystal but are really pressed glass. I use these for baptisms and baby shows and weddings when you want a little fancy look but not so much food on a plate these have matching cups took about 1 year to collect them too.

So if you don't want to spend a lot of money and get a few to spare in case they break look at all your local thrift shops and see what dish pattern tends to come in a lot that is how I choose what I was going to buy then start collecting them. My kids always got excited when we would find 1 or 2 new pieces each week at the thrift store.

We also have a set of 8 plastic plates for the kids to use when they are real little as the ceramic are to heavy for them to handle well and a few kid plates like Disney characters they like those too.

I have more dishes but that is enough you probably already think I am crazy and I haven't even gotten to the other 3 china cupboards yet just the stuff in the kitchen cupboards and not even half of that.

Oh another cool idea is a lot of thrift stores have old cafeteria plates. I have about 40 of these they are great for back yard family get togethers at like the 4th of july big enough to hold lots of food has a spot for your cup and utensils too so if you end up eating over your lap your lap doesn't look like you dumped your food all over you because the tray is big and stable like a table. Also makes it easy for kids to hold not a flimsy pieces of paper. Ok you all know now that I have a thing for entertaining.

My mother in law has correlle wear from when my husband was little lasts a long time and doesn't chip easy easy to find at thrift stores too.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 29 2007 09:04:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Yup we are correlle people as well. I like the plain white too! And you can buy them by the piece at walmart! lol I like that I can drop them and they are ok! lol Mircowave safe etc.

I have diabetes, and neuropathy. And some times I can't always feel how tight, or lack of tightness I have a grip on things. And easily drop things. So I've dropped the correlle many times! And so far so good!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  2:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I second the Corelle vote. You can get it almost anywhere and they have some "stylish" patterns and some "classic" patterns or just the plain white and off white sets. We got a set at Wal-Mart that is actually thicker than normal Corelle. A set of 4 dishes (plate, coffee mug, saucer, bowl) for about $6. I have dropped them before and they don't break. I really want to have nice dishes as well, but I don't trust fiance to keep the nice stuff out of the microwave!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  7:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Corelle has so many new styles. I have corelle that is square and its red on the top and black on the bottom. The bowls and mugs are square shaped as well. They are so cool. And they come in many other colors. you can go to corelles website and find many different styles and colors.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  7:56:06 PM  Show Profile
http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=50&pid=2

Here is the link to the corelle I have. It is the Hearthstone in red. Love, love, love it!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  06:46:53 AM  Show Profile
I really love the idea of the all white mix-n-match! I bet the table is beautiful when it's set. And what a great idea to check out the thrift stores for them! I got a set of all white ironstone cups and saucers not long ago at an antique store, with a little raised floral/fruit pattern. I bought them anyway, even though they had some crazing, and stains had seeped in. But a trip through the dishwasher cleaned out the cracks, and now they gleam. They're wonderful for a late afternoon cup of tea.

Years ago a friend gave me a set of soup bowls in a very similar pattern that had been in her father's estate stuff. They wear so well!

I don't know how I have such good luck, but I don't break or chip dishes. I've broken just a couple of glasses in the almost 24 years we've lived here, and I've never broken a plate. Hubby's pretty careful too. Mostly I change dishes because I get tired of looking at the ones I have!
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for sharing what you use! Such great ideas... I knew this was the place to get input :)

I enjoyed reading about your dishes, Sunshine. I, too, love dishes but haven't found "the right ones" for everyday. I remember someone in my family has some of those cut glass plates and matching cups--the ones with little round balls for the handles. Those always looked so pretty.

Maybe if I get the house straightened this morning I can take the bus to the thrift store as my treat! I'll not only be looking for some dishes, but also for a shirt so I can try out Aunt George's remake into an apron directions.

Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  05:21:39 AM  Show Profile
WE also use Corelle. Also- we drink out of mason jars as they do not break easily like glassware tends to do.
Go to Top of Page

farmer miller
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dennis
ST.JOSEPH MO.
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  11:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies i just bought a set of china dishes for my 1880 china cabient.That nice gold ring around the dish,really is gold.When i put a dish in the microwave you should seen the sparks.OK china dishes are microwavable,well it off to K-mart tomorrow.Maybe paper plates will do.--Miller
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  06:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yes china is microwaveable just gold is not and the sparks are the gold on your plates being destroyed and leaving the plate. I wouldn't recommend putting those type in the microwave.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  07:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have Homegoods Stores near them? They're affiliated with TJ Maxx. I've been "collecting" my dishes from that store little by little--I can always find something that goes, because while I go by the white mix and match rule, my dishes also have black on them (I bought them while in England--Black Toast and Marmalade by Emma Bridgewater.... http://www.emmabridgewater.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?cid=PATBTM&language=en-GB
and I've been able to find some nifty corresponding things. I have four place settings of Black Toast and Marmalade and then I've mixed some Stafforsdshire black and white, almost harlequin-patterned bowls and salad plates that I got on clearance at Homegoods, and I have 4 place settings of a bone china toille set in a soft yellow, white and black pattern that I picked up working at Macy's for a $1.00 a piece (and then my discount, and it was virtually free). I also have fine bone china, but I only use it once a year...boo on that. I'll tell you what, though. If I had been smart when working at Macy's, I would have purchased this line of Wedgewood called Nantucket Basket--it's all white, and had a basket weave pattern. Wedgewood has the highest boneash content and that means it's the strongest. You can (and I have) stand on one of those dainty little cups on a marble floor in a pair of heels, and bounce, and absolutely NOTHING would happen. I still may do that if I ever get some extra dough.

My mom has the all white Corelle, too. That was her "fine" set when she married my dad--the casual set was from Anchor Hocking because my Aunt worked at the factory in Rockford. I'm 33 and her Corelle still looks great!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  08:10:24 AM  Show Profile
Jonni ~ didn't you love working at Macy's? I worked part time there a couple of years ago and spent most of my paycheck back at the store! But I got such great deals on pots and pans and linens (I worked in housewares). I loved getting first crack on the clearance and the returned/damaged items. I collected quite a few of the log cabin Christmas dishes before they discontinued them. I love your idea of mix and match dishes. I just bought some reproduction yelloware dishes and they seem pretty sturdy. We are pretty good about not breaking dishes - I don't like plastic or paper, so my kids have been raised on regular dishes. I do like to use my old and reproduction enamelware/tin dishes for picnics and the toddlers.
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  08:24:26 AM  Show Profile
I did get a set of the all white corell. rather plain, so I pulled out my myott finlandia (here is a picture: http://www.replacements.com/webquote/MYOFIN.htm?s1=KX&75978&) and we are using that for non-microwave meals (which are most often). It looks lovely in our china hutch, and this has been a good compromise with DH having the corell ready to hand for quick eats/reheats.

Jonni and Jill, did either of you pick up an asparagus pot when you worked at macys? I have heard that these are great not only for asparagus but for other vegetables and even boiling eggs. Is this a frivilous purchase? I never cook asparagus because the heads are sodden by the time the stalks are soft, but I've read that with the stalks standing in the tall cylindrical pot, the stalks get boiled, but the heads get steamed. that sounds perfect!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  08:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, did I!!!! My husband always said, "why don't you just give your paycheck back to them???" But, honestly, how could you pass that stuff up? Ha! I worked in fine china--which was right next to housewares and linens where I spent most of my time! And pots and pans, girl, I have the calphalon to rock the world...half of them I don't even know what to use them for!
I do have an asparagus pot, that we got as a gift because we love it so much, but my best method for cooking asparagus (I've found) is to grill it. Skewer each piece (I double up the skewers and put about 12 spears on the skewers total, brush em with olive oil and kosher salt and grill them for 5 minutes. Only way I can describe it is awesome. I use my pot for spaghetti, now :)

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  09:02:54 AM  Show Profile
mmm. grilled asparagus sounds good! I think I have some marinated chicken breasts in the freezer... think we will have that for dinner tomorrow--thanks for the suggestion!

I can't imagine having many pots and pans, there just isn't room in our affectionately dubbed "one butt" kitchen. As soon as my school loan is paid off in a couple years I will start putting aside money to rearrange the kitchen, with well measured cabinets, a wall oven and a down draft stove top. Can you believe it? our house doesn't have an outside venting exhaust fan in the kitchen! what was the builder and first owner thinking?! arrgh.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  09:19:10 AM  Show Profile
You have the one butt kitchen, too? LOL. Don't even get me started...I actually had to decide to get rid of a two person kitchen table because of space. We decided instead, on an old hoosier cabinet (which is actually where I store alot of my stuff. My kitchen was an add on from the 40's and there is absolutely no room, but I do make it work. Just got a new stove and fridge and that makes matters a lot easier. Good luck to you and yours!

Do try the grilled asparagus and let me know how it works for you. It's the only way dh will eat it now!

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  3:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have to place my vote for resturant ware. It is quite easy to find in thrift and antique stores (not to mention ebay) It is heavy and comes in great old fashioned patterns. I have several sets and lots of oddball pieces. I've never broken a piece and they must have been made tough to make it though daily use at a diner!
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I use Pfaltzgraff and it's about bulletproof. Have both the light gray with blue that's been around for years and the newer tea rose that I really love. All from thrift shops. Well, my daughter just gave me a pretty heart shaped dish for Mothers Day, but I know she must have found it in a thrift shop too.
My original ''china'' is still in the china cabinet, but have been adding to a collection of delicate Johann Haviland china and must have service for ''too many'' now...since we don't entertain :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  8:02:29 PM  Show Profile
We have Corelle for daily use. Dh got a huge set at an auction cheap. It is the old 70's gold butterfly pattern. He is the garbage picking, dumpster diving thrift store kinda guy. We nuke it, stick it in the dish washer and it still looks like new. Also, if you actually happen to break a piece, you are not crushed. But, with a 3 yr old and hardwood floors, the stuff bounces. Who cares if it ugly.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic tableware? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page