Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Vacation. DH says Toronto, but why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vacation. DH says Toronto, but why? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile
August 1st, we have a week's vacation. DH has never been out of Kentucky, but he wants to go to Toronto. I've been all kinds of places--no, NOT Toronto, but I really feel like I need a reason to go there....I mean, how about Maine, or Michigan, or Savannah or anywhere else? I just don't want to go a city for vacation--it doesn't feel like vacation to me.
I don't want to be unfair to him if this is something he really wants to do, but....
Can anyone give me a reason to go to Toronto for a week's vacation. Also, we'd be driving from Kentucky, if that would color YOUR decision any ....

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  08:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes the most fun is the drive along the way. Maybe you can map out your route and find some fun places to stop along the way. I have never been to Toronto but I hear it is wonderful.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  10:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Toronto has lots to offer an intrepid adventurer, it has the amazing Art Gallery of Ontario, http://www.ago.net/navigation/flash/frameset.cfm, a really fun Science Centre http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/, a GREAT museum - The Royal Ontario Museum (and I'm not just saying that because my brother is curator of Dinos there..lol!), of course there is also the CN tower, you could catch a Jays game at the SkyDome, go shopping on Younge st.... There is lots to do! I never have enough time to explore when I'm there. However, if the city is not your thing, stay outside of it in a nice little B&B in any number of towns and day trip in if you want. Toronto is less than an hour away from dozens of great wineries in the Niagara region, you could drive out to Niagara-on-the-Lake and stroll in one of the quaintest little historic towns I've ever seen (and I'm a connisseur of quaint towns ) Or catch a play at the Shaw, or Stratford festivals - and if you love the countryside, drive south towards Lake Erie- rolling hayfields and happy cows are along the grand river... and I'd be happy to give you directions to the best dairy bar east of the rockies. I've even had their chocolate milkshakes for breakfast!

Gosh - I think I've been working for the tourist industry for too long!

A word of warning though - The first week of August is usually the hottest and most humid of the summer, and it can be incredibly stifling for anyone not used to it..

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  10:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Meggie. That's what I've been looking for...it's difficult when you search the internet and only come up with touristy type things. I felt a bit let down, and having never been in the area, I don't even know WHAT to look for!!

The Royal Ontario Museum sounds great...I'm a hug dino and fossil fan, so your brother's charge would be right up my alley!

You've named some towns. I guess I'll hit the bookstore this evening and get a map. Where are some nice places to stay---within the city or outside? I don't have to have immaculate (or $$$$), just cozy. Also, silly question, but I guess will need passports? My man has his, but mine expired in the autumn.

We're pretty darn hot and humid around here that time of year, also. I don't love it, but it's doable ;)

Thanks again for all your information, and please, if you can help further, I'd sure appreciate it!!! My outlook is a lot better now :)

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  3:26:32 PM  Show Profile
I'll look into accomodations and good towns- as to the passport, well.. if you are driving in, and it's this year, you don't need a passport just two pieces of id like a birth certificate and a driver's license. However, once 2008 rolls around you will need a passport.

Glad I could help! emma_birdwhistle (Elizabeth) might have some good info too, she lives not too far from T.O.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  4:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, but Toronto is a beautiful city (and clean! I just love Canada :-) The city itself offers so much to do, or not do, as you see fit. Walking through the various neighborhoods, stopping in at all the little shops and eateries is a lovely way to spend a day! (I'm heading up at the end of July for a little weekend getaway/concert event.) I'll try and put together some specific ideas for you as well when I get a little more time. I say go for it, especially if you've never gone!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  05:36:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Laluna! Canada is beautiful and is way too overlooked as a travel destination. I grew up about two hours from the Canadian border and took many trips to Quebec City. I loved it!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  06:00:50 AM  Show Profile
I do indeed live a scant 1.5 hours outside of Toronto now - but I actually grew up in the city itself, so you'd think I'd have some advice. However, now that I'm a very happy country girl, I just want to tell you about all the pretty little towns that can be found outside the Toronto area! Well, I'll try to give you some useful advice.
There are some nice little areas to explore around the city, as laluna mentioned. I guess it depends somewhat on what your interests are. Being a natural/organic-minded sort of person myself, I love visiting the "Carrot Common" area on Danforth Ave., home of a great big natural-foods store called The Big Carrot (www.carrotcommon.com and www.thebigcarrot.ca). I also like to visit Grassroots Environmental Products (www.grassrootsstore.com) just a few steps away.
If you're at all into sewing, Mokuba Ribbons & Trim at 575 Queen St. West is rather an exciting place to go and swoon over their shelves and shelves and shelves of beautiful ribbons and trims and braids of every description (I've got Mokuba on the mind because I just got an order from them in the mail - they're my source for the cotton tape used in the packaging of my CD). Queen St. West is also an interesting area to explore in itself, with lots of really unique little shops.
When I was living in Toronto, I always said yes to a trip to the St. Lawrence Market (www.stlawrencemarket.com). Aside from the market itself - which is a great big building full of vendors of every description - the area of Front St. where it is located is home to some really great shops. I think I just like the look of that area too, for some reason! It's got some nice older buildings, which always makes me happy.
If you're at all interested in historic buildings, I feel I must mention Casa Loma (www.casaloma.org), "Canada's Famous Castle", which was built as a private mansion in the early 1900's and is now a really interesting place to visit. If you're into that sort of thing, I'd also recommend Black Creek Pioneer Village (www.blackcreek.ca), a living history village that was - and still is - one of my very favorite places to go when I felt a need to step back in time. It's such a peaceful, old-fashioned place amid the hustle and bustle of the city.
Now, if you're interested in spending some time at the beach on Lake Ontario, the "Beaches" area of the city - while extremely busy and bustling on any given day - is a really fun place to spend some summer time (you might find information at http://beachestoronto.com/tour/). There are some nice parks, a boardwalk along the beach, and lots of places to get an ice cream cone and fun little shops to browse through (I keep mentioning shops - my mother and I have recently come to the conclusion that cities are simply places to shop ).
And I second the recommendations of the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario - provided that the art gallery has finished up their recent renovations, as last time I visited they only had one room open. Usually it's much more exciting than that! The CN Tower migh also be fun, but I haven't been there since I was about 6 years old, so I'm no authority.
Now, after all that, if you feel you need a little time in a small town, or along a country road... (I'm starting to sound like some sort of tourist brochure):
Prince Edward County (www.pec.on.ca) is a really, really lovely area about 2 hours east of Toronto. It's technically an island, but you wouldn't know it because you just drive across a tiny bridge over a narrow canal and there you are (of course, they couldn't call it an island, because that would be rather confusing with the real Prince Edward Island). Anyway, "The County", as it's called locally, is full of lovely little towns - Bloomfield, Wellington, Cherry Valley, to name a few. It's becoming rather well known for the amount of wineries that are springing up in the area, but if that doesn't interest you (it doesn't really interest me so much ...don't tell!), there's so much more to see and do. I won't go on and on in this increasingly lengthy post, but if you do decide to make the Prince Edward County area a part of your trip, I would gladly give you a more detailed list of things that shouldn't be missed there!
Finally, I must mention my own area of Northumberland County. There are many nice places to visit here, including the town of Port Hope (www.porthope.ca) which is just over an hour away from Toronto and is said to have the best-preserved historic main street in Ontario. It's a really nice place to walk/drive around if you enjoy looking at lovely old buildings. I attend church there at St. Mark's Anglican, built in 1822. And if you're the sort who likes charming little towns and the backroads between them (my passion!), a trip up to Warkworth (www.warkworth.ca) might be in order. Again, if it looks like you might want to include this area in your trip, let me know and I'll gladly tell you more!
Well, I think this is the longest post I've ever written. I hope it helps somewhat with your vacation plans! I wish I could offer more advice regarding accomodations and the like, but having lived in the city and therefore never having visited, I feel absolutely uninformed on the subject. I do know that Northumberland and Prince Edward counties have a wealth of bed-and-breakfasts available - as does Niagara-on-the-Lake...which is absolutely beautiful too, by the way. I don't know how you're going to decide where to go!

- Elizabeth Ann

P.S. If you want to go even farther afield, the ByWard Market in Ottawa (www.byward-market.com) is such a fun place to explore! I'd better stop coming up with ideas now...

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  12:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! What great information! You all are making me want to go visit my cousin and Aunt up in Toronto and surrounding area!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Zahara
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Buffalo New York
USA
26 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  12:33:34 PM  Show Profile
If you want a city, Toronto is the place.
It has everything a big city would have with out the dirt.
it is clean, quite safe. the buses on the main downtown are on an electric trolly - the air in the city is breathable.
True I have only been there a couple of times, but I actually enjoyed myself.
The only negative is the traffic coming in and out of the city two hours away. Because of the Lakes, there is only a few ways to get in from the USA.
in contrast you could NOT get me to go to NYC for a vacation, for any reason, not even a show, you know I bet Toronto would have that.
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  2:18:31 PM  Show Profile
A friend just reminded me that the Toronto Islands are also a great place to visit. You take a ferry over, and it's a great place to walk, bike or picnic from what I recall (it's been a while!). Here's a website I found with information: http://torontoisland.org/

- Elizabeth Ann

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vacation. DH says Toronto, but why? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page