Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic I need ironing help! Next Topic  

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Ok ladies, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Whenever I use starch while ironing, it turns into white flakes that look horrible. I have to go back and use a lint brush on all the clothes. Is it the brand of starch, something I am doing? I could sure use some farmgirl smarts on this one.

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  5:09:30 PM  Show Profile
So Sorry Pumpkin.. I have the same problem too!!

I usually just spray with water now though..
less trouble on my end.. But no nice crisp lines..

i've resigned myself to accepting that i simply can't have everything!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like your starch is overly concentrated. Is it a mix-you-own starch? I hardly ever buy or wear clothes that need ironing (my mom would probably say that some of my clothes really DO need ironing...)so I don't have much idea here. Hopefully some of the other ladies have an idea. I know I saw a mention of starching somewhere in one of my books that is around here somewhere...I will post more when I did up that reference :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Okay - I love ironing and I use spray starch, too - sometimes I use cornstarch in water, but other times I use the lemon-scented Faultless spray starch - not the heavy stuff, just the regular. It flakes if I overspray, too - you might want to check the nozzle on the sprayer to make sure it's not a little bit plugged or anything that might cause the starch to come out in a stream instead of a spray - and I also have good luck when I shake the can before I spray. I sure hope it helps - flakes are so irritating!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarah -- also check to make sure that the bottom of your iron is clean. Starch can sometimes build up on the bottom.

I love to iron and use spray starch! Especially on pillowcases.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com OR www.annarosetta.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  06:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! Kay, what would be the best way to clean my iron?
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  06:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi, there, SarahJ! I use the Faultless iron cleaning stuff that you squeeze on an old towel then run a hot iron over it - it works really well. It comes in little tubes that are sold in packages of two if I remember right... I hope that works well for you - ironing can really be a relaxing thing (maybe it's weird, but I DO really like it...).

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  12:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried spraying and then waiting a minute before ironing? Gives the starch a chance to settle into the fabric. Otherwise, it just lays on top and you iron right away, causing the flaking. Try it and see if it's better.

I clean the bottom of my iron with a washcloth wet with vinegar.
I have ruined too many white dress shirts with red fuzzy fusible webbing leftovers on the bottom of my iron!

Polly

www.favoriteapron.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  8:11:08 PM  Show Profile
I do what polly does. I let it soak into the fabric first. Clean the bottom of my iron and don't have much trouble with flaking.

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  8:23:13 PM  Show Profile
I switched from starch to "sizing" until I couldn't find it anymore; then I went back to starch, but it came in a squirt bottle rather than a can-much better and voila...no flakes. The sizing is a little bit lighter than starch and I had less problems with the white flakes.It could be that the iron is too hot. Or that you are spraying too closely or too much. They gave some suggestions for being "flake-free" on the squirt bottle, but unfortunately I finished it a few days ago. When I go by the store to pick up more I'll check and see what it sees and pass it on.
amanda
http://www.theheadlettuce.blogspot.com

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
Mae West
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  9:36:24 PM  Show Profile
I use starch on my stuff. And after I spray it I run my hand over it to hel pget it into the fabric. Then I iron, otherwise it will flake.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  07:30:52 AM  Show Profile
I mist with water before spraying with the starch and this solved my "flake" problems. I think the water helps the fabric absorb the starch. You will laugh at this...when I was growing up (50s and 60s) my mom starched everything including our underwear. To this day at age 81 she still irons everything, sheets, pillowcases, dishtowels dads boxer shorts, you get the picture.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
wow! I can't imagine ironing everything- but I love the way ironed clothes smell and look. Maybe I need to find the time in my life to start ironing my laundry!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  10:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Ummmmmmm. I try not to iron if at all possible, except when I'm sewing!!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  2:24:35 PM  Show Profile
I love ironing. I use faultless spray sizing ..never have had it flake...and more often use scented linen water (I love Kay's stuff at www.therusticcottage.etsy.com ) for my ironing.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  4:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Try Mrs. Meyers Ironing Spray - no flakes, light fragrance, but it's not like heavy starch
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  5:02:33 PM  Show Profile
I use Faultless also. It never has never flaked for me either. I also use an iron with a teflon coating on the bottom. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  8:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Here's another idea for cleaning the bottom of your iron...
Mix a thick paste out of 2 tbsp. baking soda and a bit of water.
Dip a clean rag into the mixture and scrub the iron's sole plate until the caked-on spray starch loosens and wipes away. You may need to use some elbow grease. Wipe the sole plate clean with a second clean, wet rag. Hope it works for you.

who says Farmgirls aren't elegant
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  04:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Okay ladies, now, how about if you have just scorched a lovely old textile in your ironing exuberence! I could kick myself! Can it be saved? Please help! I could cry!
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic I need ironing help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page