Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All grown up now! (my ducks)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All grown up now! (my ducks) Next Topic  

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  09:20:04 AM  Show Profile
And they sure look pretty...hardly any pin feathers left now. Wings are big, but the ducks are still soft. They are one of the types of ducks with the softest feathers. They cannot fly. They are so sweet, and still follow me around the yard.
They know at night to go into their cage(we built a portable large cage with a door and lock on it for them to go into at night)

Anyhow thought I'd share some photos of just how pretty and big they are now.

I love my little "babies" ...even though I'm in the city this was one of the best things I have done on my property yet.It is such a treat for the whole family to be able to go out and watch our ducks..being ducks.
It is such a stress reliever for my husband too after a long day at work..he'll go out in our backyard and sit and watch the ducks.

They do not tear up my yard, and in fact I move their cage around every 2 days and spray the matter they leave behind into the grass, and the grass is definitely greener where they have been.

I do not know yet if I have a "pair"..I think that I do..as one is definitely louder than the other.But we shall see.
I expect in about another 6 months I'll find out if I have a female out of the two.

Here are the pictures:

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  09:25:48 AM  Show Profile
and an image from yesterday....this is how big they are now.

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Apr 30 2007 09:26:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile
if you are considering getting a duckling or two..I'd highly recommend it!
They are so fun!

The first 3-4 weeks I kept mine indoors in cages with removable plastic trays and the chick feeders and waterers. I fed them 1 cup of mash per duckling at least twice a day..changed their cage twice a day..and a few hours a day I gave them supervised yard time and pool time.
Since they were tiny, I had to make sure their water to swim in was not too deep and gave them about 20 minutes water time a day until they started getting bigger and got more confident in the water.

After about 4 weeks indoors they started needing their own cages, so I put them in seperate cages..and about one week after that..they were definitely large enough to start going outdoors for full time.

So my husband built them a large cage out of pressure treated lumber and wire(I didn't want a basic chicken wire but used a closer mesh to keep things out)We put a wire top on the cage and a door with a slide lock. The cage is open on the bottom to let them forage...and the cage is not too heavy for one person to be able to slide it around to different areas of the yard.

Every day I let them out at about 7:30-8 a.m. in the morning.
They have a small pool type trough(a plastic container that you can buy from Ace hardware that is used for mixing potting soil...costs about $25) I fill that up with water every day.(they do not like dirty/stale water..so changing the water daily is a must)
I also have a poultry water container in their cage every evening for them.
They go back into their cage on their own at about 8 p.m. at night.

They are fed 2 cups of mash twice a day..the rest of the time they forage on weeds and grasses.

They are very easy to keep, and very quiet.

The only time they make noisse is really when they see me coming with the food or see me in the yard and they come to greet me and follow me around they will do soft quacks and peeps.

So..in case you are wanting to add anything like this to your "city plot" or wondering if they'd make good pets..by all means I can say "YES!"
They will win your heart over for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Tina, they look really nice
They sure did grow fast, didnt they?
Do you know how to tell the difference in male and female?
The males have a couple feathers that turn up at the end of thier tail, where the females stay flat. just in case ya didnt know, but ya probably do.
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:02:08 AM  Show Profile
I have one that looks like the tail feathers may start turning up on the tail(the one duck with the bright orange beak...that one is the quiet duck and has a bright orange beak..the other duck has a pink beak) so maybe I got lucky and chose a pair..I actually hope so. As I'd like to have eggs and also would like to be able to incubate some of the fertile eggs and sell the babies.

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Tina,
They look great! Nice feather condition, you could show them if you wanted they looks so good. I am glad you are enjoying them.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  2:19:51 PM  Show Profile
they are a little spoilt..think "foo foo ducks" instead of "foo foo dogs" haha.
And yes, their feathers are just wonderful and smooth, and oh so soft.
They bathe and swim every day and love it, and will preen for quite a while.
They sure like to "look pretty"

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile
What pretty sweeties, Tina! Ahhh, to be pretty, fun, relaxing and useful--a good package!

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Tina! They are storybook-darling!!! I love your photos and the duck-story -- thank you SO much for posting them - my little one just loved seeing the pictures earlier today and was convinced that we need ducks - so.....next spring, ducks it is!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:14:47 PM  Show Profile
keep in mind that like most birds if there are two they will more than likely bond with each other instead of with their caregiver..although they will come to you when you call,and follow you around..they will be more apt to stick very close to each other and sort of act a little "stand offish" to their humans every now and then.

But the more they are handled up until age 4 weeks the better it is..they will bond with you to a degree and act like you are "mama"..but once they become full grown ..well..it's duck likes duck, and your mostly the hand that feeds them and once in a while they'll let you pet them.

(I have to start handling them again and holding them in my lap to readjust them to the fact that once in a while I will have to hold them and hopefully they will readjust to me and the fact that I won't harm them..this is needful in case they ever need a trip to the vet or if we have to travel with them somewhere)

But if you want a duck to really, really adapt to you I'd suggest only one if you want it strictly to be a very loving pet that depends 100 percent on you for companionship...then you are more apt to have one that will come sit in your lap and cuddle with you.

It is a wonderful learning experience and I think that you and your little one will enjoy it very much.
My kids sure do.

I had a pet Indian Runner duck as a kid..only one..and it would ride around on my arm..then follow us everywhere..it loved to be held.
(unfortunately it was stolen from its cage and never seen again)

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All grown up now! (my ducks) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page