julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  12:11:01 AM  Show Profile
Greetings everyone. Thank you all for your kind words and incredible encouragement. I definitely would like to figure out how to post a photograph of my farm gowns for anyone interested to view. I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing that. Anyone with any savvy regarding including some kind of attachment would be welcomed! In the meantime, I will try to explain them. The long sleeve dresses are my favorite. I think because I prefer cooler weather. I've made sundresses for the fair since its summer time, but I don't like thin strap dresses at all. So my sun dresses have the entire shoulder covered, but I'm including a sash/tie that one could use to cinch up the shoulder if a thinner strap is more desirable. The bodice of the dress is plain, with a slight scoop to the neck-line only to allow the dress to slip easily over the head. The waist-line is not quite empire, which would fall just below the breast-line. Instead, the waist-line falls pretty much in between the base of the breast line and the belly button. (belly-beep-beep is what my kids call it!) The skirt comes in 2 styles; an A-line and a gathered skirt. I've made both samples in the sundress. I prefer the A-line because it gives the body a really nice line. The gathered skirt is nice too, but if you are concerned about any extra pounds around the middle and hips, this kind of skirt does nothing to mute that. The fact that it gathers higher on the body is a plus! I will say that the gathered skirt is a much better skirt for gathering apples, cucumbers, potatoes, etc when in a pinch in the garden. The A line works but is a little harder to maneuever. This is important only if you forget your aprons! All the skirts are l.o.n.g..probably way too long for most people and I'm happy to hem anything for anyone at the fair.. I'll have all my stuff with me, including a treadle sewing machine! I like my dresses to be ankle length. I've described them as being a little Amish-like, for lack of a better description. They are simple, plain yet elegant and practical. I will also mention that every seam is enclosed using a French seam technique. I don't have a serger so its the best way to make neat seams. One could basically wear the dress inside out and it wouldn't matter. I've been working on that stitch for over a year and I've finally got it down. All my little girls' dresses are done the same way with matching bloomers. I use only cotton, or linen fabrics and I use a lot of black, grey, greens, tans, etc.. earthy colors. One of my sundresses that will be at the fair is a pale yellow bodice with a pink-yellow-white tiny tiny plaid pattern skirt. It is just adorable..light and sunny for sure! I've also made a few white dresses. One of them is fully lined in white cotton with the outer dress being a white eyelet fabric. It turned out really sweet. I'm playing with the pattern to make a dress with a built-in apron. Those will be ready for the Fall. I'll be bringing some fabric along with me at the fair so if people are interested in ordering something, they can fashion a dress right then and there selecting whichever fabric they fancy. I do have another dress that is only in the Fall line so far that has 4 buttons up the front and a rounded collar. I really like this dress too since I'm still nursing with my daughter, it makes it much easier than the scop-neck style. The dresses are designed to work in, play in, feel beautiful in and to sleep in! Last but not least, I have a praire dress with petticoat. Standard style here. I'll have 2 on display at the fair. One is the first dress I ever made 7 years ago....its still in one piece although really worn and the fabric is totally sun-faded. I wear it constantly.. The other is a new version with a black linen petticoat that I absolutely love! The sizes of the women's dresses are S/M, (8 - 10), M/L (10-14), L/XL (14 - 18). They are meant to be loose fitting!
Many of the little girls dresses are made from patterns from the 60's that my mother-in-law generously gave me. I adore them! I have 2T, 3T, and 4T available at the fair each with a different style. I'll have smaller sizes ready for the Fall and I have this amazing pattern for fleece dresses that are just tooooooo cute! For little ones I like to use fleece or flannel..nice and warm and soft! I'll also have on display a bonnet I made for my daughter. It is black linen with a silk lining.. It is beautiful..very amish and a wonderful sun bonnet.
Prices: the women's dresses are $65 for the sundresses and $85 for the every day dresses including the praire dress, which buttons up the entire front of the dress. The petticoat is $45. I will not have any of the work pants I sew ready.. I have only one pair made and may bring them to display. They are $45. The little girls' dresses are $15 and $25 (2 totally different styles. The latter is fully lined and buttons up the back...way tooooo cute!) the bloomers are $10.. Sun Bonnets are $15.. the fall fleece outfits.. I haven't figured out yet.. will let you know!

Thanks again for your interest and encouragement..with particular respect to my writing style as well. I'm so happy to hear that some of you were transported to Mary Jane's farm with me. I'll consider writing something one of these days. I ought to write about my fairy garden and my sacred garden. Both are enchanting, which is something very key to who I am and how I operate.
Last but not least, for those of you coming to the fair, I'm only planning on being there Saturday.. I have my little kids and my husband to consider and having me away for an entire day will be a first! But I'll have some other thing for sale too that I've made.. cards, lavender dryer bags, lavender wands and fairy pouches etc.. I am having so much fun putting things together, but I'm also scared to death! I'm putting myself WAY OUT there.. you have no idea how much your encouragement has meant! Thank you thank you..
Blessings, Julia

being simple to simply be

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  03:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Your dresses sound wonderful!

And maybe a little under priced? Esp. for the kidswear? Have you figured out what you're making on these p/hour you spend? Don't short-change your work or yourself.

That said: I'd love to see the kidswear. I knit, but don't sew and your dresses sound like something my daughter would ADORE!

Best of luck at the fair!
Go to Top of Page

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  03:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
Julia - is this a pattern you made up, or one that I could find? I don't fit into your sizes - I'm overweight and need a size 2X. I bought a Simplicity Pattern #4551 - which is a historical pattern of a prairie style dress. It does go up to my size, so I plan on making it soon. You can look in the back of the pattern catalogs and see costumes and such, and invariably, they have some historical garments.
To others of you out there who may want to make some aprons, I found 2 great Butterick patterns - #6567 and #B4087 -- Both have a pattern for a bib apron and also the short aprons that just go around your waist. I am looking for some vintage calico to make them out of.
http://www.lakadaisies.com/Page_1x.html
Also this link is to a place that makes patterns of redwork embroidery. Very nice stuff.
Robin

Let the beauty we love be what we do. -- Rumi--
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  05:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Julia-- I'm so excited for you! This is going to be fun and hopefully the start of a new endeavor for you! Lucky you to get to visit the farm and participate in the Farm Fair! Your dresses sound lovely and I like the sound of the litte girls eyelet one. I just bought some blue eyelet with a very cool embroidered border to make this "big " girl a sundress!

When I was nursing, I altered a pattern that doesn't sound too diffferent from one of your styles . I called it a "prarie jumper" but instead of making a seam at the shoulder I made it tie or button,
so you could easily nurse. The other option was to make the front "bib" detach at the waist with buttons, snaps or velcro . I nursed for 14 months and it was hard to find nursing clothes back then that didn't make you look like a contortionist or a flasher!
On that note I will wish you well and wait to hear you check back in after the fair!

Robin-- Thanks for the embroidery site; they are really interesting and detailed designs for redwork. The sources for them was interesting to read as well! Thanks for the link and welcome to MJF where there is ALWAYS something fun to talk about!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  06:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
Hi! I just found another interesting thing. The John C. Campbell Folk School. It is in Brasstown, North Carolina. http://www.folkschool.com/
Here is a very partial class listing I copied from the list: basketry, blacksmithing, broom making, chair seats, cooking, crochet, dance, dyeing, enameling, gardening, geneology, glass, kaleidoscopes, knitting, lace, leather, metalwork, music, nature studies, needlework, photography, quilting, rugs, sewing, soapmaking, spinning, storytelling, weaving, woodcarving, writing. WHEW! And the actual list is QUITE LONGER than that! Classes are either by the day or by the week. The school is located on 300 acres of beautiful North Carolina mountain land. I've never been there, but stumbled on this site. And it sure looks interesting. Their phone number is 1-800-365-5724, call 8-5 Eastern Standard Time Monday - Friday. They will send you a free catalog -just go to their website and request one.
Robin

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  11:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Julia, Your dresses sound wonderful and comfortable. However, I don't fit in any of the sizes either as I'm a 2X. Maybe at some point you could expand into plus sizes (no pun intended)? I'll just have to find a pattern until you do!

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile
You are really sweet to say that my prices are a little light.. I've struggled with this a lot..For the time and effort to makes these dresses, I'm basically making about $2 - $3 dollars an hour. I know, its ridiculous and makes me feel sorrowful when I consider that I can go to any department store, buy something cheaply made for pennies; not to mention thinking about the poor 12 year old who probably sewed the garment in the first place! So, I'm feeling settled about the prices for a few reasons; first and most importantly, I can not put a price on the experience I'm about to have! I really reconciled with not going because my inventory is so small. The very fact that I'm going is amazing! I'm also looking for some basic feedback from the general public. If all the garments sell, then I know that they were very reasonably priced and people appreciated them. We'll see. I have so much to learn from this process. Making these dresses was a labor of love to be certain. I have not had this kind of energy and sense of purpose for such a long while. It is a great boost to my ego to be putting myself 'out there,' even though I'm beginning to get serious butterflies in my tummy! Thanks again.. I'll take some pictures and try to figure out ow to make attachments. Many smiles, Julia

And maybe a little under priced? Esp. for the kidswear? Have you figured out what you're making on these p/hour you spend? Don't short-change your work or yourself.

That said: I'd love to see the kidswear. I knit, but don't sew and your dresses sound like something my daughter would ADORE!

Best of luck at the fair!
[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! The patterns I use for my adult dresses are not made up! I'm fairly new to sewing so I'm not talented enough to create my own patterns, yet! I'm using a simplicity pattern for the praire dresses but it isn't the one you mentioned. It is, drats I forgot the number..(kid distractions!) its 77XX something.. sorry. I'll check again. The other dress is a pattern called Everyday dresses that I bought at a local quilting store. I have altered that pattern slightly: changed the waist line by making it higher on the bodice.. Created a sundress etc.. The little girls patterns are all from the 60's.. Wish me luck!! many smiles to you! Julia

quote]Originally posted by Robinwolf

Julia - is this a pattern you made up, or one that I could find? I don't fit into your sizes - I'm overweight and need a size 2X. I bought a Simplicity Pattern #4551 - which is a historical pattern of a prairie style dress. It does go up to my size, so I plan on making it soon. You can look in the back of the pattern catalogs and see costumes and such, and invariably, they have some historical garments.
To others of you out there who may want to make some aprons, I found 2 great Butterick patterns - #6567 and #B4087 -- Both have a pattern for a bib apron and also the short aprons that just go around your waist. I am looking for some vintage calico to make them out of.
http://www.lakadaisies.com/Page_1x.html
Also this link is to a place that makes patterns of redwork embroidery. Very nice stuff.
Robin

[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:11:31 AM  Show Profile
YES of course I plan to make plus sizes..especially if people actually like them Its one thing to describe them, its another to actually touch them, see them, and try them on! I hope people enjoy them as much as I do! There's this fabulous consignment store in Seattle called Two Big Blondes and its entirely plus sizes. I have 2 very close girlfriends who worship this place! If you ever make it to Seattle, I highly recommend it. They have gorgeous garments that aren't incredibly pricey! have a happy day!
Julia

quote:
Originally posted by therusticcottage

Julia, Your dresses sound wonderful and comfortable. However, I don't fit in any of the sizes either as I'm a 2X. Maybe at some point you could expand into plus sizes (no pun intended)? I'll just have to find a pattern until you do!

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  06:06:53 AM  Show Profile
Robin - I have been to the John C. Campbell Folk Art School. It is very unique. They have wonderful gardens there. Their slogan, if I remember correctly is "We Sing Behind the Plow". I love that. And what a neat gallery gift shop they have!

Julia - I am interested in getting one of your dresses. I cannot email personally from this site (my computer tells me no-no), so perhaps you could email me?

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 02 2005 06:10:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic farm gowns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page