girl_friday
worker bee

15 Posts

Dory
Troy Idaho
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  3:14:06 PM  Show Profile
Where my family lived in Alaska the apartment buildings faced onto a large parking lot which we called the court. In an effort to get to know my neighbors I decided to host a "court" party. I sent my kids out to deliver invitations to a bar-b-q. Everyone was to meet in the middle of the court with their grills at the appointed time and date. They had to grill something and bring a side dish or dessert with enough to share. I planned an activity for the small kids to occupy them after we ate. The party became such a success that we all decided to make it a monthly ritual during the summer months.

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  10:54:43 AM  Show Profile
I heard about a wonderful outing that my friend's church does. They have outings to nearby restaurants, in which they post which restaurant they will go to, and then you sign up on a list. They seat you at random, so that you will get to know people that you haven't met in the church before. What a great idea for building community.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile
We do block parties here in our small town (about 3,500 population) and sure is fun. We had our first one on our block last fall and had about 1/2 the folks turn out. It was fun and we all got to know people we hadn't met yet. We actually did an area that covers 2 whole blocks all the way around.( about 22 houses) we are planning another one sometime soon...should be fun. We did homemade rootbeer, barbqued hot dogs and everyone brought salads and desserts to share. NO one was assigned anything..just invited to come and bring what they wanted. The 4 of us gals who planned it got the hot dogs, buns condiments and chips and the gal who donated her yard for the party made the rootbeer. It was a fun evening!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic "court" party   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page