Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  10:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a total newbie to sewing. I had a Kemore for years that was always eating up the fabric, so finally I saved up and got a new machine. I looked lots of them over, then bought a Viking. Now that I've done that, the store that carries the Viking machines, accessories, etc. dropped the Viking line (thanks so much).
Not only that, I'm a little intimidated by that fancy machine. So, I'm thinking of buying a beginner-friendly Brother machine. It's easy, simple and I know it won't last years and years like a more well-built machine but will last until I feel comfortable in my sewing.
"Sew", I hope to be sewing soon!

Caron
Mama Hen

"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation."

Farmgirl Sister #254

ruralfarmgirl
Sisterhood Coodinator

277 Posts

René
Prosser WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy Caron, I love the simple ones. I have my grandma's old Singer. It has a straight stitch and that is all. I use it the most. I do have an old Kenmore that has zig zag and I go to it when I need too. But, for me the simpler the better.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

Circumstances made us friends, MaryJanes has made us sisters....

www.maryjanesfarm.org/RFBlog/
www.farmgirlsfarm.blogspot.com
www.ruralfarmgirl.blogspot.com
www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  11:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Rene! I also have my grandmothers' little Singer from the 1950's. When I feel more confident on a machine, I'll start using that machine. And someday I will get back to that fancy machine I bought but am scared to use (unless I just decide to sell it). In the meantime I'm looking at my just-ordered (a few minutes ago) Brother as a "training" machine. That way I won't worry about "What if I break this machine?" LOL!
And thanks for responding! I seem to be the only Heart of Texas Farmgirl here now!

Caron

"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation."

Farmgirl Sister #254

Edited by - Caron on Sep 12 2009 11:31:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Brooke
Houston Texas
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to be getting my husband's grandmother's sewing machine and I am going to start learning how to sew. I have so many ideas zipping around in my head. I have to try ...I know if I put my mind to it, I can do it! I think his mom said it's from the 50's or 60's and there's also a brand new one we just found out about as well as another one, so I am curious to see them and get one! Yay! Maybe when I get mine here soon, we can start a project together here?

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sewing machines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page