Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9426 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9426 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2024 :  02:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy June!

We are starting to have some summertime temperatures. Some of you may feel like you are already in the throes of summer temps but here in the Midwest it is staying in the mid to high 70s with lots of days of rain. We had a stormy April and rainy May so hopefully the rains will taper off a bit in June. Though this coming week looks to be more of the same with rain and storms.
I hope all of you are enjoying some nicer weather. I will say when the sun does shine it is beautiful.
Enjoy whatever June brings your way. We are starting our week with the grandkids this afternoon. Praying it goes well. It is much different being close by grandparents than it is having a faraway relationship with them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 01 2024 03:01:05 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3501 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3501 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2024 :  10:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a happy June to everyone! We have already been in summer mode for two weeks now and it won't change back anymore either. The National Hurricane Season opened on June 1 and a bigger season is predicted this year. Of course we never know with these storms, but just knowing that it is hurricane season feels a bit like an Albatross around my neck until it is over on November 30. The past few years florida has been hit with some fierce hurricanes that resulted in a lot of damage to the affected areas.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1224 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1224 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2024 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see on TV all the destruction the hurricanes and tornadoes bring. I can't imagine how you all live with it. I would be a quivering mess if I had to live there without a good storm cellar like my grandma had in Oklahoma. All we worry about here is an occasional earthquake and wildfires.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4701 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4701 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2024 :  7:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tuesday was the worst storm I've ever been in, and we had some huge thunderboomers and heavy rain storms in Illiois when I was growing up. I thought they were bad, but nothing compared to Tuesday. I was scared when that wind started up in a split second and kept blowing for what seemed like it would never sstop. I was afraid to move from the hallway amd yet also wondered if the hallway would be enough protection.

I've been in some earthquakes in San Jose, CA, too. One time I was in a symphony rehearsal on stage playng the Sorcerer's Apprentice. During the heavy kettle drum part of the music the stage started rolling under us. That was weird.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 02 2024 7:08:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1224 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1224 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2024 :  8:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once I was in the kitchen in the middle of fixing dinner and the kids were acting up so I hollered "You kids stop that!". At that instant we had a door rattling earthquake and my husband came in and said "See what happens when you don't listen to your mother." Big eyes all around; they tiptoed around me for a couple of days then it was back to normal.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6053 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6053 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2024 :  8:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I can see where that would make them toe the line!

Linda that would be hair raising ,I am sure glad you’re ok!

I dislike those earthquakes! I have been through several big ones! They are scary! My last one was last December it was big and came from a different direction than others had!. Unnerving!
Have a good evening.
Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9426 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9426 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  07:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not like tornado warnings but we sure get alot of watches and warnings here. I never thought I'd move somewhere that had them. Hurricanes I dislike but you have a wee bit more warning for those than tornadoes. I do not like storms of any sort but can handle a nice rain shower.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  08:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith that is too funny!

Out spring was so hot! 80's with thunderstorms. June so far has been on the cooler side at night but the AC has been on in the afternoons with temps in the 70's and 80's. I decided to skip planting lettuce this year since it will probably bolt. Tomatoes going in soon.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9426 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9426 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  10:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Judirh that is too funny. I don't like earthquakes either. We had a couple when we lived in NJ.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1224 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1224 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  11:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except for a day or two we had a delightful May. Mostly 70s and 80s with just a couple of 90s. One nice rainy day, probably the last one until October. Every year I try , unsuccessfully, to make it to June before I turn on the a/c. I made it so far but tomorrow will be 103 so it will have to get turned on. I'm so glad we had a nice long spring this year.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1263 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1263 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  1:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy June everyone, this has been a different year for us too. Very rainy. We got just a side show of what Linda got. I live about 90 miles east of her. Raining every afternoon now for this week.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4701 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4701 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  7:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The rain has been terrible for another day - today! We got another 2" yesterday and 3"+ inches today. A car stalled in the heavy water in our street in front of our neighbor's house this evening The drain in front of our house was trying it's best but the water in the street was over 6" deep. And the alley was the same, and that drain was also trying hard to empty the alley. There was just so much water, that they could not keep up because the rain was coming down so fast and hard. It finally stopped and both lanes emptied.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1224 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1224 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  9:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking good thoughts for you. Let's hope the rain stays away for a while and gives everything a chance to dry out.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2024 :  4:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I'm still drying out from all the rain and thunderstoms. Oh, and yes, those winds where so scary. Hope your doing better today.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."
Sister #8572 6/9/2023

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9426 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9426 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2024 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie did you have any damage where you are?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6053 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6053 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2024 :  5:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Judith that is funny!
I needed that laugh today!

Take care everyone and be safe!
Love you all!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3501 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3501 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2024 :  08:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like every region has some sort of fierce weather events for that area. Nobody gets a pass these days on constant good weather. If it isn't storms, it is drought or deep freezes and snow. Weather just seems more intense and potentially violent in its ability to devastate where it hits. We certainly see that here with hurricanes now in Florida along the coasts and inland as well.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 07 2024 08:35:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9426 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9426 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2024 :  05:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are having some chilly spring morning here still. I could turn on the heat to take the chill off but I'm won't. The sun is shining and it will warm up soon enough. I think we are in the low to mid 70s today. Possibly high 80s by Sunday. For now I will enjoy the beautiful weather!!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4701 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4701 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2024 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Our damages are around $50k! About what I guessed. We get home late Thursday, then into recovery and repairs mode.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4701 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4701 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2024 :  09:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Found out Saturday what they’ve done with my former 1902 farmhouse. Definitely not 1902 changes. You can check it out at The1916events.com

Also - they didn’t check their history very well, because the house was built in 1902, not 1916. It first hit the tax roles in 1916, and everyone in town knows that. It could have had a historical marker, but not the way it is now.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 10 2024 09:44:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1224 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1224 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2024 :  12:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of hugs Linda. Too bad you can't take a cruise and come home to it all fixed up.

They did the same to my father's house after we sold it. Ripped it apart and remodeled until it was identifiable. Heartbreaking.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3501 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3501 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2024 :  1:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I am sorry to hear the big cost of the repairs needed. We had a neighbor who had a hugs oak tree that split open and the damage of the falling limbs to their house and yard was huge. The owner said she guessed the clean-up, roof repairs and new roof will end up around the K50 price tag too. What a disappointment that the new owners of your old farmhouse made changes that do not match its history and charm. I know it was a huge disappointment to find it looking like it does now. Some people just don't have any love of old heritages and want what is new and trendy today. It is very sad to lose these old markers lost to modern designs and their stores lost forever.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic June 2024 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page