Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 May 17th~ Happy National Pack Rat Day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic May 17th~ Happy National Pack Rat Day Next Topic  

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9427 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9427 Posts

Posted - May 17 2024 :  08:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NATIONAL PACK RAT DAY | MAY 17
Each year on May 17th, National Pack Rat Day encourages us to take a look at ourselves and see if we have "Pack Rat" tendencies within us. A Pack Rat holds on to, collects or hoards often unneeded items.

#NationalPackRatDay
According to Meriam Webster, the phrase pack rat dates back to 1885 and references a wood rat known for hoarding food and random objects. Today, the phrase is loosely used to describe people who do the same.

Many people even describe themselves as pack rats because they keep things they may need in the future, such as tools, boxes, and clothing. Have you ever cleaned out a closest and critically examined every item, tossing and donating things so that you had a clean space? Then days or weeks later discovered you needed one specific item you donated or tossed. It may be a document or container, but it never fails to happen. In the age of recycling, reusing, and repurposing, pack rats consider every item before they toss and donate.

The observance is an opportunity for the pack rat in all of us to examine our collecting tendencies. Do we really need t-shirts from 1975? When was the last time you used that L wrench that came with the pre-fabricated entertainment center you no longer own? Of course, the moment you sort through those toys and donate them, your only child will announce you're going to be grandparents. You didn't hold on to those pack rat tendencies long enough.

HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL PACK RAT DAY
Take a look around and maybe start cleaning out unwanted and unneeded items

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - May 17 2024 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely a pack rat. However I have been trying to reform, mostly so my kids won't have so much to get rid of. Yesterday I took a big pile of fabric to the quilt guild free table and didn't come home with near as much as I took :-)
When DH (the king of packrats) was gone on his 2 month hunting trip last year grandson Nick and I filled three trailers for the dump. Progress.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4703 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4703 Posts

Posted - May 17 2024 :  3:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's definitely me! Reform is on my mind, however usually gets forgotten. I have been taking quilting fabric and patterns from my stash to our guild meetings because there usually seems to be other Pack Rats who need what I am getting rid of. LOL! Some of these donations may qualify for the Recycle Merit Badge; I am looking into that!

I am also offering unused craft supplies to schools or VBS locations for the summer. My grandson is too young for what I have and I can ALWAYS get more when he is a little older.

Good for you on the 3 trailers of stuff. What did DH think when he got back? Or has he not missed any of it yet? LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - May 17 2024 :  5:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was not terribly happy about it but who needs three rusty old Coleman stoves that haven't worked since 1990 etc. I did send him photos of things I was dumping, like 2 old boom boxes, and the stuff in the old shed with the collapsed roof that was all rusty and otherwise ruined. Anyway, it was done and nothing he could do about it. I can see the garage floor now and walk across the patio without tripping. I can hardly wait until he goes hunting this year; I made a big dent in it but more needs to go. I did buy one of those sheds from Lowes but it hasn't been put together yet. If I could do it myself I would.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4703 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4703 Posts

Posted - May 17 2024 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Way to go, lady!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3502 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3502 Posts

Posted - May 22 2024 :  10:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Mom was a pack rat but all that stuff usually ended up being useful and needy at some time. I did not personally grow up with a lot of stuff as we had a big family, and everyone's personal stuff was less than today. As a result, I routinely move along things that benefit local thrift stores . Plus, I don't have a lot of storage at my house so between these two points, I hold on to less than other people can because they actually have a room or space to spread out and keep things longer. My feeling is that if you have things that you just want to keep, then you should.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic May 17th~ Happy National Pack Rat Day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page