levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9431 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9431 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2024 :  1:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ow come the sweet and sour flavor of pickles is called bread and butter? Turns out there’s an interesting story behind it.

According to Katie Baker, the tale begins in Streator, Illinois, with Omar and Cora Fanning, a couple who turned adversity into opportunity. The Fannings, known for raising cucumbers, found themselves in a tough spot one season. Whether the weather was bad, or the economy was tough, I don’t know, but apparently they had a lot of undersized cucumbers. In a stroke of resourcefulness, Mr. Fanning decided to utilize those small cucumbers, previously considered waste, to create a side business.

The Fannings' pickles were not just a hit; they became a phenomenon. Mrs. Fanning was able to barter these pickles with her local grocer for essentials like bread and butter – a practice that gave this unique pickle its name. Marketed as both "old-fashioned" and the "latest thing," their popularity surged from the Midwest to the South, where they remain a beloved staple.

The significance of bread and butter pickles goes beyond their unique taste. As Joe Baker from Greeneville, Tennessee, recalls, during times when preservation was key, anything sweetened and preserved was a treat. Bread and butter pickles, with their delightful mix of sweetness and tang, became a coveted addition to meals, especially for those who could only afford cheaper cuts of meat.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6054 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6054 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2024 :  1:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise that was interesting! I didn’t know that!

Thank you!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2024 :  3:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, this story is fascinating!! Thanks for sharing!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2024 :  4:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting story. Thank you Denise. I have made a lot of bread and butter pickles in my lifetime. I always they were named that because you could put them in sandwiches.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9431 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9431 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2024 :  4:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
I have too but never really thought about why they were named that.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1015 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1015 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2024 :  7:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned something new today. Question though…I’ve never made nor eaten bread and butter pickles…are they preserved together? If so, how are two different flavors? :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2024 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen -- it's cucumbers sliced and pickled in a slightly sweetened spiced vinegar solution. If you have even gotten cucumbers in your hamburger they probably were bread and butter pickles.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9431 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9431 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2024 :  04:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not if you gotten them from fast foods places though, they all use dill. Bread and butter pickles would be too pricey for them ti put on sandwiches.
The cucumbers are all the sames it's just the spices and sugar like Judith said.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1015 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1015 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2024 :  8:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, girls!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4704 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4704 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  05:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love bread and butter pickles!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  09:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to make my Mom's bread and butter pickles all the time and send my bother and sister a big jar. Like all canned veggies, they aren't hard to do but they do take time to prep everything and then clean up the kitchen.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9431 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9431 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  09:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to make them a lot too Winnie. Haven't done any canning since moving here though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this canning season, I shall do bread and butter pickles again. Haven't made them in a while. Last summer I did hot garlic dills.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."
Sister #8572 6/9/2023

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9431 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9431 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2024 :  06:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dempsey Essick is from Davidson County, NC. This painting is one of his earliest works, from the 1980's. The handwoven rag rug featured in this painting was made bya well-known local woman named Sallie Parnell. Parnell, affectionately called ‘Aunt Sallie,' touched thousands of lives, not only with her rugs but with her sweet smile, perseverance, and hard work ethic. She spent hours upon hours at her loom, weaving diligently, and stopping to welcome anyone who came to her back door. It was said that Aunt Sallie had never met a stranger.

Born in 1887, she lived all 107 years of her life in a two-story farmhouse in Davidson County, NC. The loom on which she worked was built around the time that George Washington was inaugurated. Sallie's mother, Josephine, is credited with teaching her to use the loom, as the shuttle flew countless times through the warp during those training sessions.

In 1914, the same year that WWI began, Sallie married George Parnell, a farmer. Together they farmed and raised 5 children, three sons and two daughters. The income from Sallie's rugs helped them survive through many trials, including the Great Depression. One day in 1945, Sallie and George received a telegram that their son Douglas had been wounded in Germany, while serving in WWII. Just one week later, another telegram arrived. It informed them that their son Terry, who was also in military service, had been killed in the Philippines. Within a year's time, Sallie's husband George would also pass.

Throughout it all, Sallie kept weaving on her loom and welcoming customers as dear friends, right there at her back door. The artist, Dempsey Essick, was fortunate to know Aunt Sallie well. He admired her quick wit and laughter. He once asked her about her secret to having such a long life. "Eating sweets," she said, with a twinkle in her eye.

Over the years, Aunt Sallie was glad to have her daughter Carolyn living next door. Carolyn helped look after her mom and told Essick that it was an ongoing contest to figure out where Aunt Sallie hid her chocolates and the candy people brought to her when they came to visit.

Aunt Sallie died in her old farmhouse in 1995. But her handwoven rugs continue to bring joy to those who are blessed enough to own one. And we can enjoy that beauty too, through Essick's skillful painting, "Aunt Sallie's Loom."

(Art: "Aunt Sallie's Loom," by Dempsey Essick)

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 16 2024 06:23:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1263 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1263 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2024 :  08:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Denise you find the most interesting things. Always nice to learn something new.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6054 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6054 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2024 :  09:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise! That was really interesting!
Thank you
I enjoyed that!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2024 :  10:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A long life; well lived.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2024 :  3:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful story about a simple and creative woman during some of the hardest years of our 20th Century. Thanks for sharing, Denise!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4704 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4704 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2024 :  12:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is a wonderful story about Sallie's rugs, Denise. Thank you.

I brought back 2 woven table runners from Vietnam, and both were made on very different looms and with different materials.
* One is made with reed-like grasses that are split, dried, dyed, and then woven. The 2 women we met sit with their loom on the floor to make this mat. They make larger ones and people use them as a mattress when they sleep on the floor. It takes the 2 of them working together 1 hour to make a placemat size mat, and they sell the placemat size for 100,000 VND (about $4). The tablerunner was 300,000 VND ($10). Seems so little for the time it takes to make them, and yet this is how they support their families.

* The other tablerunner I bought was made by a 75 year old woman and her oldest daughter; they are members of one of the tribes in the northern hills of Vietnam. It was woven on a much larger loom with cotton or silk "yarns". In this picture, only half the tablerunner is shown. The entire runner is over 6 feet long and I'm trying to decide whether to cut it off and make it into 2 runners or keep it this length and let it hang over the ends of the table. Again, this was only 500,000 VND ($20).

I have videos of the women weaving items on both of these looms, but I cannot upload videos here. If you are on Facebook and go to my page, Ed has uploadded pictures and videos every day of our trip and you can go there to see them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6054 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6054 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2024 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are beautiful weavings!

Nice

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9431 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9431 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2024 :  12:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are gorgeous Linda!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4704 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4704 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2024 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Almost everything I got as souvenirs is related to fabrics of one kind or another - table runners (2), 3 bags/purses, 2 t-shirts, 4 hats/caps, 2 meters of quilting fabric, batiq fabric, cotton blend fabric, sample of exquisite Dao tribe embroidery, embroidered hair ties for my cat sitting girls, handmade ornaments, and a stuffed rhino and cute hand-embroidered 2-piece pajamas/shorts outfit for our new grandson. I seem to have stuck to a theme. LOL!

I also got me a straw "coolie" hat - it was great for keeping the sun off my face, but not as handy to have to travel with on 3 planes. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 19 2024 1:09:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Interesting... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page