Page: of 2

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2023 :  6:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and I are trying to clean up and out stuff we don't need. I moved boxes to the farmhouse when I bought it, and some of those boxes were then moved here when I sold the farmhouse. If I haven't used the stuff since 2010, I probably don't really need it. Some is family heirlooms, so I may keep that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2023 :  1:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, isn't it amazing the boxes of stuff we have? Sometimes it seems like they multiply in the night and we are left scratching our heads thinking what to do with it all. Plus, it always takes more time to sort through old stuff to make sure nothing important is missed. That means, looking through old boxes is time we could be using for something we want to do right now. Always a challenge!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

JennRap
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jennifer
Sonora CA
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2023 :  6:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just went through this when visiting my parents. My Dad decided he really needed to clean things out and get rid of a lot of stuff he moved to Idaho with and hasn't used. We decided to do a big yard sale as he had some nice larger items of value. He also wanted me to clean out my Mom's craft room as much as I could. With Momma having dementia it was a bit of a challenge as one day she agrees to sell an item and the next day she's taking it back into the house as "customers" are arriving! I'd walk out the front door with a box of yarn she told me she wanted to sell and she'd head me off and say "hey, what's in that box?" lol Then my hubby says "take it out the back door so she doesn't see you with it" and then low and behold there she was at the back door heading me off! lol In the end she ended up only keeping 1 of the boxes of craft sequins that she had agreed to sell. The rest went to new homes to be used in fun crafts and creations. There's SO MUCH that needs to be gone through and gotten rid of. She's got about 50 boxes of organized Christmas decor, 4 Christmas trees (they previously had a huge house and there was a themed tree in every room!), boxes of fall decor and TONS of craft and hobby supplies. My Mom did every craft under the sun and mastered them all! Then there's my Dad's tools, woodworking, garden, hunting, fishing, canning, freeze drying, etc...etc...etc!
Mom and Dad ended up taking in about $1,000 when it was said and done but also took 2 truckloads to the town thrift stores to donate. I try not to get too overwhelmed with it but I know it'll still be there for me to deal with until I DEAL WITH IT! lol
One step at a time and all in prayer...I can only get through it by the strength of God.

Jennifer Rapoza
California - Idaho bound in 2023! <3
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9434 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9434 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2023 :  6:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jennifer that is a huge undertaking. Bless you for taking the time to help them even while dealing with your mom having dementia. It takes so much patience and love to help her through the sorting, etc.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2023 :  09:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for you Jennifer. Such a big undertaking. There is a lot of love there. It is hard to do, but with love and patience and prayer you and your family will get through it all.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."
Sister #8572 6/9/2023

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2023 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jennifer, I understand how difficult it was to help your Dad downsize. Hubby and I went through that with his Mom, Aunt ,and my Mom , Sister and Aunt. They all were about the same age and making different living arrangements so we had to declutter in a big way. As I have aged. I can sympathize more with seeing your"stuff" leave and wanting it not to happen. It is a difficult time of life for both you and your Mom and Dad. It does sound like all all and all you had a very successful downsizing . You did a great job helping make that happen for your Dad!

As a result of helping my and hubby's families downsize, I have been really working hard the past 10 years to sort through our stuff and send it out to where it can be used or to the trash. It feels good to do that because I don't want my Girls to have to deal with what I had to do. It is a hard and sometimes painful process because we just can't keep it all for that "someday". I have also learned that my girls don't want any of our stuff , especially any decorations that I have for all the seasons. So, lately as each holiday comes around, I sort through my things and donate what is good for new young families to enjoy and just keep a few things.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2023 :  05:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Downsizing is really hard - and for me, downsizing my fabric and quilting stuff is the hardest. I've read several times where getting rid of your stash and just buying fabric for one pproject at a time is so much better. BUT - I love the different fabrics I have and love making scrappy quilts, so I NEED all the different fabrics. Don't I? LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2023 :  4:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I totally understand your love of having your fabric stash for your favorite sewing projects. Here is a thought that might help you. Making all those scrappy quilts and little fun projects like bowl covers to not burn your hands on a microwaved dish, table runners, aprons, and all the other creative things you like to do need fabric patterns and colors to choose from. I guess you could, if you don't already do this, organize fabric scraps by color and keep them separate in containers of various sizes. Then you can stack the containers of fabric in a place where they won't be cluttering up other furniture etc. It might help bring able to see colors and fabrics without having to sort through a big pile of them??? I would also say that as long as you love to sit down and just create, leave the fabric still in your room but organize them to give the appearance of space without that sense of the room being a junk pile?? If your sewing space is already organized to your liking, then just enjoy your special sewing room and have fun creating!! I have a friend who loves to quilt and recently invested in her own big quilting machine. Her motto is "she who dies with the most fabric, WINS"!!! LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2023 :  8:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! Right now my fabrics are mostly by colors - with some by theme (music, farmgirl/country, kitchen, childrens, stripes, cats, raggedy ann). So far this is working and I HAVE been reducing my stash. I am thinking of trying to get a few friends to join me and have a sale at my house in the fall to try and sell many of my items for Christmas. I have a lot of items left from the sale to support my granddaughter's mission trip, but can make a few more items to add to them. I know that right now I do not have the MOST, but I may be in running for one of the top 10! LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2023 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, that sounds like a great idea! Maybe you will have some cooler weather by early October and people will want to be out and about on Saturday morning yard sales.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2023 :  2:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The weather is a lot nicer here in Michigan and when we were in Indiana. Texas is just burning up and we are happy to be in the upper midwest.

I have been crocheting and ripping out a scarf and 2 cowls the past few days. I have mmade 3 - 1 scarf and 2 cowls - from new patterns, and when finished, I didn't like the way they laid around my neck at all, so I ripped them out and am ready to try another. Does anyone else do that? I've found what seem like great patterns on the Internet, but when they are worked up, thhey don't look the same as the picture and are not commfortable to wear around my neck, so ripped out they get. The ones posting the patterns must have them pinned on in certain ways, because they definitely don't look the same. GRRRR!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2023 :  6:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My DH and I have been on the road to Indiana and Michigan for 2 weeks now, visiting Ed's cousins and attending 2 family reunions with them and a mini HS reunion with Ed's class. We have only had to stay at a B&B for one night, and the rest of the time were visiting with a friend of Ed's and his cousins and sister along the way. In Indiana Ed's friend lived just 15 minutes from a MJF farmgirl and we met-up for a picture to meet in person. Here is a picture of me (on the right) with Hannah Frankowski (GinnyBelle) in front of her garden.

Ed and I have gone to several antique and thrift shops and it is a good thing we came in our truck, because now the bed of the truck, though fairly full when we started out, is completely FULL! I participate in craft sales sometimes and at an antique shop in Indiana I found a super 4-sided rotating square wire display rack with many many hooks that the owner was selling for $20. Will be very handy for displaying the items I make. I couldn't pass it up because it shouldn't blow over and will help keep things organized in my craft room, too, if I can find some room for it. LOL! We also found a great rocking car for our new grandson that is hand-carved out of solid oak (it weighs at least 30 pounds) and some other items at a "bin" store (have any of you ever been to one? they are great, if you can find things that you need). I got a new curling iron for $10 and new electric hair rollers $8 (both of which I needed). The curling iron was $50 on Amazon and the curlers ranged from $40-60 on Amazon).

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9434 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9434 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2023 :  05:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice you gals could meet up. Did you wave as you passed Ohio? Lol

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2023 :  07:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Of course we did! We weren’t very close but still waved. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3503 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3503 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2023 :  11:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Linda, you and Ed sound like you are having a blast up there! And what treasures you have gathered to bring back too!! It all sounds like fun and glad to hear you have been having such a good time. Just an old fashioned summer vacation! Sounds perfect!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic July 2023 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page