Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 What Birds do you Enjoy in your Hometown?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What Birds do you Enjoy in your Hometown? Next Topic  

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4102 Posts

Posted - May 20 2023 :  09:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Anna's hummingbird is a medium-sized bird species of the family Trochilidae. It was named after Anna Masséna, Duchess of Rivoli. It is native to western coastal regions of North America. In the early 20th century, Anna's hummingbirds bred only in northern Baja California and Southern California.
Hummingbirds are so beautiful and so tiny, just so interesting!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
202 Posts

Posted - May 21 2023 :  5:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debbie, I love all our birds, we have so many and waking up in the morning to them all chirping is breathtaking. I have a few: My 1st favorite is our bald eagle. I find them so majestic and beautiful. We have a few that nest out at our Smith Rocks and you can often find them flying overhead, its about 20 minutes from us, however, once in a while, I find them over our home and neighborhood which I just love. My second and third favorites tie, our quail and finches. The quail are just so beautiful and each year they have babies and run through our neighborhood and our back yard, such little fluffballs. The finchies I especially love in the fall, as they fly in to feed off our two lavendar hills we have in our back yard, we can have 100 finches out there are once, they truly are one of my favorite little birds to watch as they flutter, play and feed. Beautiful too.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 21 2023 :  5:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Catbirds, Mockingbird, Canada Geese... Pfft, who am I kidding? I love them all, really. I also love Loons, but we don't have them here. I remember them from all my summers spent in New Hampshire and Maine with my Mom's family.

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

286 Posts

Laura
Kingsville TX
USA
286 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  12:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in South Texas we have some lovely birds that migrate through so we've recently had Baltimore Orioles at our feeders. In Kingsville we had Green Jays and Great Kiskadees that I just loved. I don't see them now that I've moved and I miss them.

Where my daughter lives, they have Bald Eagles in the park and I have been lucky enough to see them flying overhead when we are out walking. They also have Blue Jays and Pileated Woodpeckers there too.

Our neighbor across the street feeds the seagulls so we have Laughing Gulls in our front yard. Our hummingbird feeders are kept busy with hummers and woodpeckers. I do love mockingbirds too - I really enjoy their songs. I wish we had more cardinals in our feeders as I always feel blessed when I see a red bird.

What a fun topic!

Laura

Laura

Happy to be Farmgirl #7286
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1064 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1064 Posts

Posted - May 23 2023 :  10:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite bird of our house visitors is the crows. They are fun to watch...so intelligent and inquisitive! My favorite is when they watch the squirrels take a peanut from the feeder and "bury" it. Then they swoop down and pick it up out of the grass! It makes me laugh every time! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

286 Posts

Laura
Kingsville TX
USA
286 Posts

Posted - May 23 2023 :  10:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh we don't have crows here and I do love them. One of my birding friends says that our area of the Gulf Coast is one of the only areas that don't have crows. Apparently they are south and north of us but just don't live where we are. I'm curious about that so I might see what I can learn.

Laura

Laura

Happy to be Farmgirl #7286
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4102 Posts

Posted - May 23 2023 :  10:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have lots of Crows and Ravens, I love them too. Such family oriented birds. They love peanut’s cheese puffs, and of course shiny treasures!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1351 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1351 Posts

Posted - May 31 2023 :  7:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I knew what all our birds are. The ones I know are the cardinals, robins, barn swallows, killdeer, canadian geese, bald eagles, doves, turkey buzzards, hawks, hummingbirds, and woodpeckers. I don't know what the noisy black ones with orange on their wings are or the little yellow and black ones that I only see in the summer and just love! There are many more that don't stand out enough to try and describe. I'll have to look through my pictures soon and see what I have to show :)

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1351 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1351 Posts

Posted - May 31 2023 :  7:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the turkeys! How did I forget about our wild turkeys?!? Wait until I find that picture LOL!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic What Birds do you Enjoy in your Hometown? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page