nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1335 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1335 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2022 :  08:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted this on the main forum but I'm not sure if everyone is on there or not so I'm posting here also. I want to put together some more Christmas goodie bags this year. Last year they all went to the crisis center. This year I'd like to do that and also some to the nursing home in town. In those bags I put some colorsteet nails and I'm having a party to earn some discounted/free ones. I know things are crazy right now if you can't help I 100 % understand - I've been there many of times. If you'd able to help and would like to here's the link to the party: https://www.colorstreet.com/GlendaMetz/nailbar/3647505

The other reason I'm posting is - I need ideas. I thought about some fingerless mittens and coasters. Can you think of anything that will be useful for those in the nursing home? Or some quick to make decorations just to bring some cheer? My grandpa was so upset when he was in the nursing home for a couple weeks (to recover from surgery) that nothing would have cheered him up. Nathan's grandpa was only in the nursing home for a couple days before he was unresponsive and then a couple more before he passed away. So I don't have any ideas from my experiences.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

791 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2022 :  08:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather that sounds like a great idea! I must have missed that last year. I will check out the link, and I think the fingerless gloves is a good idea because their hands are usually cold. A friend teaching me to knit and crochet has a pattern for those, so I will try to start working on that.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Wanda Sue
Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4076 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4076 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2022 :  09:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to help as we’ll Heather, I will check out the web site too and try to crochet some fingerless gloves.I will try to come up with ideas too!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1335 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1335 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2022 :  1:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I greatly appreciate the enthusiasm! I didn't mean for you to make things for me. You're more than welcome to or you can do it for a place that's local to you. If you want to place an order for the colorstreet nails that will help me get more cheaper. I don't have a lot of friends that are into them but my mom is the consultant - she's wonderful enough to set up the party and tell some of her regular customers about it and some of them will order through me. It's a tier thing that the more orders you have the more credit you get. I love the nails so I don't mind telling others about them but I don't expect anyone to order if they don't want to. I was wondering about ideas - especially things that use yarn or fabric because I have that on hand and right now there's so much going through my brain I can't come up with anything except the fingerless mittens and coasters. Last year the adult bags (as it's almost all women at the crisis center) were sewn from Christmas fabric and in them was a coaster, hot chocolate or tea, a colorstreet nail set, a dishcloth, an ornament, and a dairy recipe pamphlet. I'm not sure that's fitting for the nursing home.
Here's an example - the bear is an ornament and the little snowman and lace is a bit of the bag:

I have to do this on a budget and a busy schedule so I like to make it simple, but at the same time special enough the receiver knows someone is thinking of them.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4076 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4076 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2022 :  4:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Heather I think the nursing home the folks seem to always be cold we could lap blankets, quick and easy. I would love to help you with the bags for the nursing home as I know what they would like really I do. So let me know. And sweetie I do not mind mailing you anything and giving you money to buy the little thing older folks like.
I will be in touch with you, I really want to help.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2022 :  6:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my mother was in the nursing home she asked me to get certain things for her.
She asked for a punkin, like the little kids often carry to collect their trick or treat candies. $1.00. She also asked for some candies to put in it. Not for her, but for her visitors.
She also asked for dill pickles. Every two weeks or so.
I made her a rag doll. Because I gave the doll yellow hair and braided it...she named her Heidi.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

286 Posts

Laura
Kingsville TX
USA
286 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2022 :  4:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather,

What a great idea! I don't "do" my nails but I'd love to buy some that you could include with your goodies. Your mom could just give you the sets I order to you to include with the ones you earn. Let me know what you think about that.

Laura

Laura

Happy to be Farmgirl #7286
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1335 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1335 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2022 :  7:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura - that's a great idea! Thank you!!!

I'll gladly take help - I just didn't want anyone to feel like they had to if they don't want to. I was also thinking while I was milking - what do you think about a wildflower project like this, only instead of it being for Christmas we could put together little packages for farmgirls facing difficult times. We could do all kinds of things like crocheted/knitted dishcloths, ATC's, painted rocks, cards, etc. I feel like it's a bit too much for me to be in charge of so if everyone feels that way I completely understand. If anyone would be interested in "hosting" we could all send stuff to that person to have on hand. Just some thoughts....

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2022 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your ideas for the gift bags, Heather. I've been trying to think of some ideas that would be quick to put together and useful. I was also thinking of dishcloth/facecloth, maybe a tube of hand lotion or a bar of soap, some warm socks? I'll keep thinking.
I would love to help you out! I have some patterns for fingerless gloves that I could start working on...also some coaster and dishcloth patterns.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1335 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1335 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2022 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything you like to make is fine by me LOL! Just make sure that you're enjoying it and don't let it become a stress.

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2022 :  1:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of you have gardens? With big tomatoes?
One year, Baylee was a baby, AND I HAD SO MANY ripe tomatoes, so I took a 9" X 13" pan and i
Sliced tomatoes until it was full. I covered it, got everyone and the tomatoes in the car and drove to the nursing home. Mother was excited to hold her little great grand daughter. While I made the rounds to each and every table asking if they would Ike some tasty home grown tomatoes. No one said no. In fact many were begging for seconds, before I had gotten to every table. So you know that the next week...we did it again! And yes my own mother got
her tomatoes also.
You know that elderly people are so much like little children. In fact I called my mother, My Four Year Old Mother! (She was 80) There was nothing wrong with her mind, but her body was getting old.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1335 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1335 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2022 :  7:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a garden, but it's not doing the best right now. I have some green tomatoes but no red ones yet - hopefully soon. I never thought of taking produce to the nursing home! Thanks for the idea Marilyn.

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

286 Posts

Laura
Kingsville TX
USA
286 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2022 :  7:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather,

Do I still have time to order? I was away at orientation with my son and then immediately left for a trip where we didn't have internet access. I'm just getting settled here again and can finally get things accomplished :)

Please let me know,

Laura

Laura

Happy to be Farmgirl #7286
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1335 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1335 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2022 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely! I'm pretty sure the party is open for 60 days unless I reach $1000 in sales (which is not going to happen) so it should be open until the beginning of September. I'm not 100% sure on the closing date but I know it's still open.

~Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Christmas plans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page