treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1221 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1221 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2021 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think you are right Debbie. Eliminating chicken pox should eventually eliminate shingles. My mother-in-law got it on her face and the poor dear was in so much pain, she couldn’t even wear her glasses.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2021 :  11:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had the hard measles, 3-day measles, mumps, and chicken pox as a kid. When my brothers and then I had the mumps, the doctor told my mother that she wouldn't get them since the boys had them before I did and she didn't get them. Well, she DID get them and I had to stay home from school a few days after I was over them to be nurse to my mother. And she got them when her 50 year HS reunion happpened, and she had planned to go. Two of her best friends from high school drove over 100 miles to come and see her, mumps and all. They had both had the mumps, so said they wouldn't get them.

After college one of my cousin's daughters got the mumps vaccine, and started running a fever. Her mother was a nurse and couldn't get the fever down, so they took her to the hospital, got her fever under control, and the hospital sent her home. It spiked again and she went back to the hospital They had to put her on a ventilator and she passed away from her reaction. They said she had been exposed to the mumps before she got the virus and that's why her reaction happened.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2021 :  1:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a tragic story, Linda. Our son had the pox, age three. He had a measles vaccine at about 18 months. I was diligent in exposing him to others with the mumps. He never got them! So I asked the doctor what to do. He was about 9 or so. Doc said, be sure to have him visit with anyone who has the mumps! But if his 10th birthday is approaching and still no mumps, bring him in and get the vaccine.
So he got the vaccine. The doc said it was best to give it to boys at age 10...if you wait you could end up with a sterile child.
Then at 16, he had to have a measles vaccine...at school...every kid who was 16/17 had to have it because the original one was not sufficient. I do not remember paying for it. I just remember opening the office door and finding him and several other teens standing there. The nurse had just stuck one of the kids. I had lots of questions.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2021 :  5:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too funny Marilyn! As a child I had hard measles, German measles, and chicken pox but never got mumps. My mother had me visit every kid in the neighborhood who had the mumps. Every year. I just refused to get it. I waited until I was 35 to get mumps and then all my kids and the cat got it too. I was sicker than a dog and still had to take care of everybody.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  08:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh, Judith! That sounds awful! I had no idea that animals could get the mumps!
We aren't sure if my husband has had the chicken pox. I know he wouldn't want to get them now. I will ask the pharmacist if he would suggest the chicken pox vaccine or the shingles vaccine for him.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  08:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the chicken pox when I was a kid and that was it. Except for appendicitis.
My oldest daughter got them but the daughter that had the MMR reaction didn't. The two girls shared a bed so I thought sure she'd get them. Not until she was 20. Our friend's son got them,at 18, from some children he was babysitting, his sister got them and his little brother. My son got them from the little brother and then my dd got them. Son had a light case and she had a bad case. She was working at the time and her boss kept calling everyday to see when she could work. I kept telling her the dr. said not until they were dry. She had them on her head and her hair was super long. We did oatmeal baths and a tea rinse on her head to relief the itching. My son was having his birthday party and the three they got them from were coming. Everyone was walking around with dried scabs. Lol. My daughter had used makeup to hide hers and one remarked how her face had cleared so fast. She told him "they don't call it Cover girl for nothing". Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 11 2021 08:37:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  12:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie -- At first I thought the cat had been stung by a bee, but when I called the vet he said cats can catch mumps from humans. I hadn't thought it was possible, either.

Off all the childhood diseases I disliked chicken pox the most. The horrible itching! Calamine lotion was the only thing to put on it, other than baking soda baths. I was going to put on some Calamine and was shaking the bottle. The lid hadn't been screwed on and I got a big mouthful of it when the lid flew off. I was 13 and missed the first dance I had been invited to but I made up for that in later years. Never ever bought Calamine again, or Kaopectate, either, which Mom always made us drink when we had the stomach flu.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  12:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the Mumps three times and the last time was on Easter. It ruined me from getting to go Easter egg hunting, I was so upset! I had to stay at my Granny’s while my sister got to go. I was not a happy camper!
My youngest Angelina got chicken pox the day after school let out, poor sweetie had the in her throat and mouth and everywhere.
That was not a good way to start the sDummer vacation

Interesting memories.
Take care everyone!

Love you all!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2021 :  7:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had all that stuff when I was a kid and then got shingles when I was 24.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fun in February~2021 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page