Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 December Sharing Topic: Journaling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic December Sharing Topic: Journaling Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  1:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been musing over and over in my mind about a topic for this month. This month will be my last entry as I have been doing it for the past two years and I am letting this go. It has been getting harder and harder for me to find a topic that I think would be interesting for everyone.

The obvious topics for December could be anything related to Christmas. However, this past year has been very different with the global pandemic escalating again. Many of us have already had a small and limited Thanksgiving and Christmas might have to follow. Instead of a Christmas topic, I decided to talk about journaling. Have any of you found journaling this year helpful and a good learning experience?

There are so many ways people love to journal and the topics range from a personal diary log, a travel log, a special interest log, and a host of other interests. This past summer, I purchased a Garden Journal and started in the month of July. I will finish it up at the end of June 2021. What a wonderful surprise I discovered each month. I am not really a gardener because my Hubby does all the landscaping and flower planting. The journal already had a place to log in 4 phases of the moon and temperatures. Having completed the Weather and Tree badges in June and July, I decided to expand my journal to include topics that I could follow: weather, trees, the flowers, Butterflies, Bees, Birds, and anything that was especially different or interesting. My notes also include any changes in flora or fauna on my street as well as out City Park where I go to exercise most days.

This has turned into so much fun and I am filling up the pages of each month with all sorts of tidbits. I had no idea how interesting and fulfilling this journaling experience would be. I also added stickers and colored markers to each page and made note of any holidays and what happened on those days. It was also an easy way to note the hurricane activity that actually passed through our area of the state.

Another unexpected plus has been making myself look more closely at the detail of my environment. For example, Florida has many different Oak trees and many of them have acorns. The acorns are vastly different from each other in color and shape. This journaling experience has made me stoop down, pick them up and then come home and identify which Oak tree they actually come from. I have lived in Florida since 1973, and it took this journal to find out which acorn belonged to which tree. I am surprised myself how interesting this has all been!

Going back to reading what I have written has also been fun. After a year, this booklet will give me little snap shots of life here in Gainesville, Florida for the year of July 2020- June 2021. I might just have started a new hobby that I will continue next July again.

My booklet was designed by my artist friend, Heather Sleightholm, and I love all of her artwork and photos she has included on each page. The art enhancements add to the fun I have filling up the pages with notes.

This year when we have been home here most of the time, I have found doing a garden journal has been something I never saw myself doing. Like I mentioned, I am not really a gardener. But journals are personal so we get to make all the rules about what we write about, Right? We get to make it what we want because there are no rules that have to be done. Such Fun!!

Do you like to journal? What sorts of topics are your favorite to write about? If you have never tried working on a journal, maybe this Christmas is the time to give yourself a gift of some sort of booklet to get started. Remember, you can make it fancy, simple, colorful, full of art you create and many other fun ideas.

Please share any thoughts you have about this topic and what you have learned from a journaling experience.

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Dec 03 2020 1:11:15 PM

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  5:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't journal - one reason is because I find it hard to keep up. Even with staying at home during the pandemic, and moving into a new house, I am keeping so busy that sometimes the day seems to have only a few hours. Another reason is that I don't think I could come up with a topic every day that people would be interested in reading about. I really don't know how bloggers can keep up with it every day. I found it hard to even keep up a diary, and it was boring even for me to read. LOL!

I envy people who can journal. I have a diary of my mother's and she could write in an interesting way. I have enjoyed reading it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 03 2020 5:19:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1273 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1273 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  5:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't journal either. Way back when I was 15 I got a diary for Christmas. I never had anything interesting to write about so I turned it into a R rated journal of imaginary activities. My mother read it and I was in really serious trouble until I could finally convince her that I didn't do all those things I wrote about. It was quite traumatic for both of us. That really finished any desire I had to do any more writing. My sisters both keep journals. I wish I could but I just can't bring myself to do it. Besides, I don't have anything interesting to write about........... :-\

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Judith - maybe you and I need to get in trouble together, or at least do something interesting, so we have something to write about. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 03 2020 5:39:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6076 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6076 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I don’t journal either , mostly because having to sit still that long to do it.
I think it’s a great idea because it’s history for people to read years from now.
I just don’t.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  8:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not journal now, although at times in the past I have.
There are so many other things I need to do.
Right now everything seems so disorganized, my tablet quit! My hubby bought me a new one for Christmas...but I am using it now.
I have not had the email set up until tonight!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1221 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1221 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  04:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess we journal but in a different way. Our bank gives out calendar that is similar to a steno notebook every year. Everyday we record the weather and a brief sentence about the day. It is interesting to look back at them.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Dec 04 2020 04:45:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  07:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love the look of your journal, the artwork and how it's laid out. I am impressed by how the pages are FILLED!
I don't have a good track record with journaling or keeping a diary. When I was younger, I was always afraid someone would find it and I didn't feel like I could really be honest with my writing. Needless to say, they were pretty boring! I have done prayer journals and I really loved doing them but then I would miss a day, and then a few more days...and it's hard to go back. I have always loved looking at journaling ideas and how people embellish the pages but I didn't know if I could be that creative. I think you just have to do it for yourself and not worry about it!
I guess you could look at what a 2020 journal would look like 2 ways. You could look back later and see all that you went through and how you got through to the other side. Or you could look back and relive it all over again.
This has got me to thinking about doing something like this next year. It might be a good idea for a Christmas present!

Judith...the post about your diary has still got me laughing!!! Oh my gosh...SO Funny! I can just imagine having to talk your way out of that one! I know what it would have been like in my family....yikes!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  07:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started a gratitude journal in June and I have been consistent almost everyday. It only has space to this 3 things I am grateful for and I believe it has helped my attitude in a lot of ways. I do think it was a good idea for me especially this year. It is good to look back and see how it has changed in just 6 months.
I have kept journals like diaries but never really kept up with them. This is short and easy and I don't have to think of what happened in my day or come up with things to write about.

I have my grandmother's journal that she kept for some years. Actually, my birth is recorded in it and that was a very special thing to find in there. I was 6 yrs old when she died so the journal has helped me get to know her as an adult. Times were hard for her but she did not complain. She was in her 40's when my grandfather died. My dad was 12 but she does not talk about it much. Only to record the date of their wedding anniversary and how many years it would have been.

I think journals are interesting for children and grandchildren to read and see parts of their parents or grandparents they would not normally have seen. We see their emotions and struggles and maybe some of ourselves in them too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find all of your responses resonate with me too. I never wrote in a diary because I just wasn't motivated to keep it up. This garden journal is different because you don't have to write every day. I only make an entry when I have something that happens or that I see. Over the course of the month, enough weather, seasonal and other events related to a garden or, in my case, my yard and neighborhood, happen and then I have something to make a note about. This journal is not really meant to be personal but rather observational and a way to talk about any plans you make or things you see that relate to your yard. I like this distinction because I do think it is hard to talk about personal stuff sometimes.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  6:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have taught nature journaling classes and those are fun. Nature always has something new to either write or draw. I also was part of a journal project for the year 2000. 50 artists were chosen from all media and mine was cloth and drawn with my sewing machine. We journaled once a week for a year and then they were displayed several places. The journals are now part of the Minnesota History Center. Can't believe it's been 20 years already. Journaling doesn't have to be done every day. Journaling helps you record events, feelings and thoughts so later you can go back and remember them. It's a great help when you're older. lol

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  7:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, I bet that was a fun project! Will they stay part of the museum forever or will you eventually get yours back?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  7:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get it back. The journal is in the permanent Historical society collection.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2020 :  12:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, that is cool!!! You are forever immortalized! hahaha

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2020 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, I love your story about the journal project. What an honor to have it as a contribution to the Historical Society!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2020 :  1:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, love this and love your journal. I do on and off. I did a gratitude journal similar to Denise and my Aunt gave us girls that went on the Ireland Trip in 2011 a Journal to keep the 10 days we were there. Since it was winter I enjoyed sitting by the fire in the hotel lobbies and writing in it at night. Since I don't drink, I skipped the after Dinner drink at the Pubs and walked back to the hotels and wrote. I loved everyone's comments.
Winnie, this year I am going to try a Garden Journal, I have one that Marilyn made for me in a swap.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2020 :  10:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I think you will enjoy doing a garden journal and Lily June can help you with it too. My current garden journal doesn't need attention every day but it captures the highlights of every month and some details about the existing weather and environment which is crucial to plant life.

I will be noting some details tomorrow on the Winter Solstice and on Wednesday night the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn so close together that it looks like a star. It has been named the "Bethlehem or Christmas Star" and only appears every 800 years. Just think 800 years ago was December 1220. North America had not been discovered by the English or the Spanish yet, Europe was still in the Middle Ages, but cities were thriving in Europe and beautiful Churches were being built in the Romanesque style. Wow, so many changes since 1220 AD.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic December Sharing Topic: Journaling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page