Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together: November-a quiet month
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: November-a quiet month Next Topic
Page: of 3

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been wracking my brain for the past couple of days about what seemed like a good learning topic. November is always known for Thanksgiving, Veterans Day, important sports games of the fall season, and the final wrap up gardens and agricultural fields.

What November has evolved to in my life is the "quiet month". September and October are full of the energy of Fall's arrival. There are apples to pick, fall festivals, leaf peeping, pumpkin carving, house decorating, and Halloween fun. These two months always fly by so quickly because I think we pack as much as we can into them. It is as though we have been finally released from the Dog Days of August and we are so excited to be a part of the seasonal changes. What is not to love about an apple pie using your U-Pick apples? Or visiting a pumpkin patch to pick out the perfect one for your porch Jack-o-Lantern? We all have memories and traditions that we have been enjoying for decades and Fall is full of many years of wonderful memories.

I think that Fall is one of those seasons where we are able to be outside more and do new things. There is that sense of rejuvenation and positivity for changes. It seems to me that the biggest part of the fall energy is spent in September and October. Depending on where you live, November brings in more cold weather, possible early snows, freezes at night, and much shorter days. As a result, we find ourselves looking to be beside a cozy fire enjoying a favorite warm drink, happy to snuggle on the couch and read interesting books, and take a breather from the very busy days and weeks of early Fall.

November also starts off in churches as the month to honor and pray for those we have lost. It is in that quietude, that I find November slower and contemplative. The blaze of fall is waning, Winer is drawing closer, and the very busy Christmas season will be taking off come Thanksgiving. In these early weeks and days of November, I love to just slow down, take time to think, walk in the cooler parts of the days, and think about all the things I am grateful for. For me, once my mind clears past the initial excitement of Fall, I am able to better consider important parts of me like gratitude, friendships, family ties, hopes and dreams, and personal goals and struggles.

For these reasons, I find that November can be one of the most beautiful of the fall season. Each year, it is a chance to purposely slow down, and spend time on those simple things that enrich our every days.

What about you? Is November a quiet month? A super busy month? I know several people who are very energized by the approach of Christmas and this month is full of projects and decorating in preparation. What does this last month of Fall bring to you? I would love to hear all of your thoughts and ideas.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  5:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
November is very rainy in our neck of the woods. I am usually working on Christmas gifts and birthday gifts as we have three in December before we get to Christmas. I like to do a lot reading during this month. I usually start Christmas decor after Thanksgiving but the tree doesn't go up until the 2nd. It's just a family tradition.
I love spending time outside even though it is cold and wet. Just something about November that makes me reflect more. Maybe just because we tend to think more on things for which we are grateful.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  5:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I think that you said it perfectly! That is how I feel about November. I woke up this morning after being so excited to set my clock BACK an hour (after dragging all afternoon yesterday), feeling rested and ready to start my day! I woke up to the full moon shining in my window and I thought, Halloween is behind us and now it's November. I felt really peaceful. We are in a quiet mode at home, the fall work is done and it's getting cold outside. I'm ready to do cozy things in the house and just be for awhile....at least until after Thanksgiving!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  9:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
November is usually the beginning of cold weather here. The smell of smoke in the air; the good smoke smell from fireplaces, not wildfires. I get the urge to cook and bake a lot. I also do the garden clean-up now that it's cooler and more enjoyable to be outside. Pecans start falling and the sycamore leaves start turning color. Yesterday my cane and I took a long slow hike up in the hills and enjoyed seeing all the tracks of critters that had gone ahead of me on the trail -- deer, raccoon, skunk, and two sizes of cats. There is usually some thought of getting ready for the holidays but this year is a little different; it will just be the two of us for Thanksgiving and Christmas so no planning necessary. It is a peaceful month. I always want to hibernate between December and March.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love what you wrote, Winnie. It is a somewhat lazy month. I love the cooler weather and fall colors of November. My grandtwins have a birthday in the middle of the month and will be 14 - WOW! Time sure flies fast.

I love seeing snow on the ground, but we usually don't get much of it here. I do not miss shovelng the snow, though. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 02 2020 10:46:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  3:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well ladies you know I love autumn! The day after the first frost all of the leaves from our 7 oak trees, 5 pecan trees, the golden rain tree, the Chinaberry tree, the cottonwood and the 16 crepe myrtles,, and the burr oak...they all turn loose and fall like rain! Last year I was out in the driveway when it happened. Amazing! We had some leaf fall during October but they did not cover the ground...then we had 6 inches. It is fun to walk in deep leaves.
I love the MOON OF RED GRASSES. I love to see the grey brown skeletons of the trees.
I love when we have a wood fire. Making chili, stew, and soups...yum.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  4:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like a frost and a good wind is what it takes to make the leaves really fall. If we don't get one or the other they just kind of dribble down for a month or so.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  5:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When our son and his family were coming home from the snowy north, we actually had an afternoon of 31° temps and an overnight temp of 30°. Any other time our plants and tree leaves would have been gone.......I'm just guessing but we had enjoyed several days of temps in the mid 80's. I watched the fences and the drips and drops of rain...but it did not freeze!
God gave us a wonderful gift!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  05:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had some strong rain and winds come through from that last hurricane and it sure took many of our leaves with it. We had already had a frost before it came through. Have a hard time remembering it is November. The time seems to fly by nowadays.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well I made it to town to vote. My husband drove me. I did not get out of the car. I took a bad fall in the kitchen yesterday. I'm not broken but bruised and painful.
Hopefully the day will be peaceful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  1:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Marilyn! That is not good! How are you feeling today?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  8:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, please take it easy and heal. So sorry you fell.
November is preparation month for me. The harvest is mostly over and the winter weather arrives. But it is when I can sew for Christmas or decorate or send Thanksgiving cards. Preparation for the holidays. It will be different this year with no family present for Christmas, but there is much to be thankful for.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  09:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
November does have a way of getting big and sudden changes of weather between extremes of warm and nasty cold/wet. In that respect, it is anything but quiet if you are shoveling snow or salting walkways from a sudden ice storm. We are still in hurricane season and the hurricane now in Central America will exit into the Gulf this weekend and possibly head towards south Florida. We are watching again for another potential deadly storm possibly hitting somewhere here in out state. This current hurricane season has been one of the most active seasons on record. Poor Louisiana has been hit three times!

Marilyn, I am sorry you had a bad fall in the kitchen this week. Ouch!! Take care and get better soon.

Bonnie, I think many of us will be doing some of the main things you spoke about. Card sending and preparations for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- Rest and heal. I hope you feel better soon.
I can't remember a worse hurricane season. It seems like there is one right after another.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  10:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear you fell, Marilyn. Take care of yourself.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  1:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, sorry about your fall. Take care and take ie easy so you can heal.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2020 :  8:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your concern and well wishes. I'm getting better. I love you all!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1221 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1221 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2020 :  06:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry you fell Marilyn. November is the month to claim my house back after a busy harvest season. I am giving it a thorough cleaning to prepare for Christmas decorating after Thanksgiving. I have started some gift sewing and am enjoying my morning coffee in front of the fireplace. It is the month to slow down out hectic pace and take a deep breath.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2020 :  12:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie you deserve to relax by the fire. Enjoy yourself.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2020 :  12:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So glad you get to rest a while, Julie.

And, Marilyn - you take it easy and rest, too!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2020 :  1:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Linda this getting old is not for sissies for sure.
Saturday morning I thought I would and could move the red tubs that I had planted bulbs, flowers, mornings, etc in during spring and summer. They are too heavy to lift so I tilted them, spun them until I sort of got them to a new home...no more than six feet from their old home...but it was too soon after the fall. Now the m paying for that too! But i found an otc product that works pretty good for the pain. Advil with acetaminophen...actually it has more of the acetaminophen than advil. You can only take 2 every 8 hours, but it helps...until I ran out and ask my husband to get me a larger bottle... He can not follow instructions. So for two days I had to rely on other stuff. Now, he got the right stuff and by tomorrow hopefully I will feel like a human being again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2020 :  1:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Marilyn you take care lady!
No more hurting yourself!

All you ladies please take care?
Love you all!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2020 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene you are the one who needs prayers! Have they told you when they will begin?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  05:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is a prime example of a quiet November day. I am going out later and take some pictures to add to my fall photos. I walked down to the end of our lane and even though it is overcast there is such beauty all around. The leaves are swirling and tumbling over one another to get to the ground. We rarely rake our leaves because we have so many trees around. I will try and share some of those pictures here later today. It is a quiet day. We are finishing up some things in the house and then I can get some good deep cleaning done. I am not sure what is going to happen this year for the Thanksgiving but we hope to see some family. Enjoy this beautiful day everyone!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 11 2020 05:42:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  10:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is near the end of our lane looking toward the side of the house.

One of our red maples. This would be brighter red if the sun was shining today but I was taking these just as it started to mist.

This was actually much brighter yellow/orange than the picture shows.

I was trying to get a good shot of the blanket of leaves around. I love seeing a thick blanket of leaves all around the trees. These are mostly our flowering cherry trees. My photo shooting skills are very rusty as I haven't been taking my camera with me lately.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 11 2020 10:15:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  11:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, these are lovely fall shots of pretty leaves! Thank-you for sharing!!

Down here we are waiting for Tropical Storm ETA to move across the state late tomorrow into early Friday. It is terribly hot and humid today with cloudy skies and intermittent sprinkles. It is so humid that it literally just drips out of the sky right now. I sure hope there are no bad rain and winds when the storm passes over because losing power would be awful. It is too humid to open the windows right now. We shall see what happens. The weather forecast says next week will be drier and cooler. I sure hope that is true because the past 6 days have been miserably hot and humid.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: November-a quiet month Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page