Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Beginning of the "ber" months~September 2020
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Beginning of the "ber" months~September 2020 Next Topic
Page: of 4

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  03:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
That is sad he is taking down all of the trees. Sometimes trees need to come down due to disease or infestation but not necessary to take down clean, healthy ones. JT and our neighbor only clear the dead ones out on our property so the new ones can grow. We use the wood from the old ones. I know my brother in law was like that with trees. He never wanted a place with trees around. I don't know why. They give us clean air and shade. I have also seen ones be taken down due to the roots interfering with septic systems. I guess everyone has reasons why they do what they do to their property.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  07:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we moved here in 1992 there were so many beautiful oak trees and also 4 pecans. One old pecan died and fell on our house. One mimosa...sadly died after being wind damaged too many times, then we lost two very old oak trees. We still have 6 huge old oak trees around the yard. I have planted a burr oak, two pecans,& a golden rain tree. God has planted a bunch of oaks and a bunch of pecans, plus sycamore and elms. Then there are my 16 crepe myrtles. I checked one summer about twenty years ago...and the temperature in the pasture was 20° warmer than the temperatures in the yard, under those beautiful shade trees. Around the chicken pens are lots of plum trees and young oaks. The trees that are growing, very close to the house in spite of me and my nippers, which have cut them down over and over, we're planted by birds.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  08:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have good news about the neighbor and trees on the lot. They only ended up trimming the big oaks, except one very close to the house, and took down the pine trees in the front yard. We actually met them yesterday and they are really nice people from Pennsylvania. Their reasoning for taking down so many trees was that the house had many that were very close and or leaning over the roof. They feared that our big storms or hurricanes would topple them onto their home. So, the trees ended up being spared more than the tree worker told hubby his understanding of what had to go. Whew!!! I could quibble that not all the pretty pines had to go, but at least the oaks were spared and the backyard trees just got a "haircut"! Just another reminder that things don't always end up as bad as them seem at the time, for which I am grateful and humbled.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  10:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad they only did what was needful Winnie.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  10:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are only two trees in my yard that were not planted by birds, The Modesto ash and orange. Pecan, fig white mulberry, Grecian bay laurel, cherry plum, silk, sycamore, camphor, cork oak, scrub oak, and valley oaks were all planted by birds. Thank you birds!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2020 :  08:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can't believe we already coming to the end of September! Soon there will be pumpkins and corn mazes and all sort of Autumn goodies around!
Our Amish market already has their corn maze ready. Pumpkin goodies are making their way into the stores. Our local Wal-mart has already run out of popcorn balls. Apples are still plentiful and those are my favorite snack along with popped corn. Love cool Autumn evenings in front of the fire with a good book and a bowl of fluffy white popcorn and an apple or cup of hot cider.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 28 2020 09:27:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  08:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw this on Debbie's fb today. Thought it was very appropriate for farm girls.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  09:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love that, Denise! It also goes for quilting and fabric collecting. LOL!

Love the cooler morning weather we've had for a couple days. I wish it would stay, but they are saying we will be back in the 90s in a couple days. UGH!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that poster, Denise!!! We are supposed to get a cool front passing through tonight and the rest of the week is going to be dry and only low 80s with some night temps at 60. A few days of that will be so welcome because the past weekend has been hot and humid and rain showers every day. Just another repeat of Summer after 3 nice days last week. Down here in Florida, we get teased to death with a few nice days to suddenly be driven out by the return of summer heat and humidity!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  3:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to have more than two days of sun. It's pouring rain here all day today.

Linda,
That definitely goes for fabric and quilting. Should probably say hobbies instead of crafters.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Beginning of the "ber" months~September 2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page