Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 April 2020~ Welcoming Spring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic April 2020~ Welcoming Spring Next Topic
Page: of 4

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  08:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I would not stress about it. Pray for the lady and the quick sale of her home.;
I'm sure it will sell...everyone loves the idea of living on a lake or having a lake get away.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  08:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will never forget when my son and his crew were hired to fix a home on Lake Granbury. The home had belonged to the owners parents and the owner and his fam8ly only came from Dallas on holiday weekends.
As they began the job, they quickly realized it was going to be a much bigger and more expensive job than thought. I stopped by one day after my doctors visit in Ft. Worth. I was shocked and found my son and told him that was the exact lot that I wanted to buy some 40 years earlier...when I was teaching there. I could never convince my hubby to move. Now, well 8 years ago the homes on lots around the house they remodeled were selling for around a million dollars. The lots are small...but there are no more. The lake filled with water in the spring of 1970. It caused the county to grow very quickly from around 4000 people to over 50,000 in about 20 years. I do not know what the county population is now.
But seeing that lot sure brought back my longing to live on the water.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 29 2020 08:35:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  12:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great story, Marilyn. I also have a similar but different story.
When my mother and father were moving out to the suburbs from Chicago, my mother wanted one of the large older homes in the downtown area, right across from where the high school is now. My father would have nothing to do with it, so they ended up building in the newer neighborhood area about 6 miles away. Those older homes are now very vintage homes are now worth over $1 million and they were worth that much when I was in high school. I wish she had won that disagreement. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  5:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They are still showing it, but my realtor said that when it is marked as a contingency, not as many people will want to look at it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  9:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you are in your twenties as we were at that time, family is still very well important to you. I was a long way from my mom and dad, but he could not leave the town where he was born, where his mom and grand mother lived. I told him 30 miles was not that far. Anyway the first year I taught 1969-1970, my principal offered me the lot he had purchased in deCordova Bend Estates for $5,000. He had purchased it so he could use the golf course. He also said to me that when the lake filled up, which it did in April, that the town would really grow. So since my husband was a carpenter he was willing to put up $50,000 to help him start building homes there. But my husband, said no! Fast forward 17 years...my principal had retired ten years earlier, I had changed schools but returned to Granbury for one year. One afternoon there was a knock on my classroom door, and when I opened it there he stood with the school nurse. He gave me a big hug, I asked about the old cars he restored and once again he said, " Could I interest you in a nice lake lot? It will only cost you $5,000. But I told him once more that my husband would never live in a town, nor a gated community. Besides I knew he could sell the lot for big $$$$$$.
He was the nicest gentleman. Every pay day he knocked on every classroom door, shook hands with the teacher and complimented you on the good job you were doing. Then each spring he came around, the morning after the board meeting, and once again be shook my hand and said congratulations, the board voted to rehire you last night. They are impressed. Keep up the good work.
They don't make people like him today!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  9:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
History/ genealogy has been a fun adventure for me.
As I have done research, more and more I have learned that God has directed my life. More and more I have been humbled.
Two years ago, long after my principal had moved on to heaven...I discovered that his first teaching job was in northeastern Knox County, Texas. That is the county where we
lived when I was born. Although I was born in the hospital at Seymour, we lived in Knox County. My principal married a young lady who lived in the same part of Knox County where his job was. She was an awesome cook! I think you only get one opportunity to be truly blessed in your job with a real gem as a boss. He was mine. I've had lots of bosses, but none as good as that one.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2020 :  06:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are having such lovely days here, I am getting a lot of yard work done. Mowed the grass for the first time yesterday. Mowing is one of my favorite things to do. I find t very relaxing. Today I am planting my cool season vegetables. We will still have nighttime temps in the 30's, but the days are getting up into the mid 60's so they should do well. I am enjoying my morning coffee looking out into the calving pens, it is always so much fun watching the new baby calves frolic and play while mom is eating breakfast.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2020 :  11:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy May Day Everyone! Happy Beginning of Jubilee!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - May 01 2020 :  01:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy May Day! I can almost smell those sweet peas!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 01 2020 :  04:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful basket of sweetness.
Where oh where did April go.
I do hope everyone has a beautiful May.
Enjoy and God bless you and those you love.!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 01 2020 04:12:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - May 01 2020 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you were young did you ever make a fancy paper envelope, fill it with found flowers, and hang it on the front door knob for your mother on May Day?

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 01 2020 :  12:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Judith, that sounds like fun. We never did anything special for May Day.
In Texas now days, the 5th of May is Cinco De Mayo Day. Hispanic folks go all out, lots of yummy foods!
We have Mother's Day and we celebrate Triston's birthday. Then of course Memorial Day. Beginning with May we have 5 summer birthdays!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - May 01 2020 :  4:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have spring brandings going on here. My husband just went to help at one on Saturday. It really made me nostalgic for when we would have brandings when I was younger, before I was married. They weren't just work parties but social events. We would have friends and family helping and good food....and if my brother and his friends had their way, usually some fun mischief! Nothing cuter than a baby calf....

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 03 2020 :  5:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like fun Debbie.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - May 03 2020 :  7:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie we have spring branding going on as well. It is always a good chance to visit and yes the food is always excellant. I have been a part of brandings all my life and have always loved them. The best part now is I have an easy job either filling the vaccine guns or giving shots.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were my favorite jobs, Julie. MUCH better than pushing calves up a chute!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic April 2020~ Welcoming Spring Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page