Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 March Learning Together: Spring Cleaning!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Learning Together: Spring Cleaning! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2020 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured the since we spent February cleaning out clutter and reorganizing important areas of our homes, March seemed to move right into Spring Cleaning! After some interesting reading on the subject, I felt like it would be fun to hear about what our Farmgirl friends do.

Going all the way back to Colonial America in the 17th and 18th Centuries, Spring cleaning was an important ritual each year. Because homes were warmed by fireplaces and cooking happened over huge open fireplaces, there was a lot of soot that collected on all surfaces. Inside, walls were washed down, mattresses were hauled outside, refreshed with new bedding materials and left to dry in the sun. Sun can have a very disinfecting property and I can only imagine the lice and other critters who were ensconced in those old beds and linens!! Quilts, all bed linens, curtains and other fabric items were also washed and placed to dry in the sun. Carpets were draped over a fence or hung out and then hit with a rug beater to get rid of sand and dirt.

Walls in homes were also subject to wax from burning candles, more soot and grime. It was a huge effort to clean up after a long cold season with the house closed up. I read that in colonial days, vinegar and/or preserved urine was used to clean floors along with cornhusk or broomcorn mops and finished with scrubbing on one's hands and knees. I also read that fireplace ashes and rancid animal fat was added to make the whitewash paint solution to use on all walls and ceilings after original scrubbing. Can you imagine how hard Spring cleaning was back in the days of late 18th Century??? Imagine how many people it would take to clean up a castle or a palace with all those rooms!!

At the same time as the house was getting refreshed, men were doing the same in their barns. Animals were turned out to pastures, stalls were all cleaned out and the barns were whitewashed which was also a disinfectant source as well as a cleaning source. Every surface got a good going over each Spring. I am wondering if barns are still cleaned out every year? Anyone know if they do get cleaned out and whitewashed each year?

I remember my Mom helping my Grandmother clean up each year when we visited. Grandma had a wood stove to cook on in the kitchen, and the house was heated by a large oil stove heater in the main living room. Of course we have Pine still today along with other cleaners that made the work go faster and easier that back in the day when such cleaners were not available. I remember the farmhouse smelling like the outhouse did because Grandma washed the seats down daily with Pine-Sol solution in the summers when we were all there.

In a magazine I found this poem that was published by a husband in 1853.

" The melancholy days have come, the saddest of the year, Of cleaning piant, and scrubbing floors, and scouring far and near". Since this annual ritual involved the entire family, women would gather together to plan the days of hard work by helping one another, help bring meals to each other and help with the childcare. In little towns, this Spring cleaning ritual was an event that brought neighbors together in common cause. I can imagine many a grandma and grandpa had the children all to themselves to enjoy and supporting the community with an easier set of tasks while the younger people did the hard physical parts.

Wow, are we LUCKY today in our own lives!!!!!!! We have so many cleaning supplies at our disposal, equipment that keeps messes at a minimum, and doesn't require nearly as much work. We can just vacuum, dust, let the washing machine take care of all linens, and even hire help if deemed too much for us as we age.

I seem to have a routine where I keep up with cleaning as I go. The old spring cleaning days have been replaced with great equipment that allows us to clean as we go during the year so that we are not faced with such a daunting task all at once! Thankfully, Spring cleaning isn't a necessary ritual for me anymore.

How about you? Do you actually set aside a number of days each Spring and clean out the entire house like they used to do? If so, what does your plan look like and do you have help or just do it all yourself? If you have any tips that have really helped you do Spring cleaning, please share them here with everyone else.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2020 :  5:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was quite eye opening about how they used to do Spring cleaning. Glad we have appliances to help get things done now.

I don't do a big whole house clean but do go through each room and rid it of things I no longer need or want. The nicer weather makes me want to spend less time inside. The only big thing I do is cleaning the porch which means washing down the front of the house wall under the porch roof and scrubbing the floor there.
I do get all the quilts washed and dried and put away. I bring out the lighter ones for summer.
Mostly, Spring consists of getting those home improvements done that we just can't do during the colder months.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2020 :  11:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Still TRYing to get farmhouse packed all up and emptied. I think everything is multiplying!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2020 :  1:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That seems to always happen!
Is the new low e in Tyler or Terrell?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  06:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
When we were in the military, I always looked forward to moving as it was a good reason to clean and clear things out. I always looked forward to starting in a new place fresh and clean. Of course I usually had to clean first but it was nice. Now I have to look forward to when we leave here. So I purge is the word for me these days! I hope you get a chance to take a breather.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  06:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spring clean, but not like my Grandma did. She would do as Winnie has stated, set aside a number of days and than everything was done from top to bottom. Because I have to spend so much time inside during the winter, that is when my "spring cleaning" happens. I pick an area, wash walls, clean out cabinets, take curtains down and wash etc. By spring it is mostly done and I can do the Windows, power wash the deck and I am good to go. I can cancentrate on all my favorite outside activities and enjoy the warmth, green grass and sunshine.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  06:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my current Country Rustic magazine that just came, they had an article on Spring cleaning and listed some of the old timey ways. I found them fascinating!

1. Dry crumbled newspaper or tissue paper work very well on cleaning mirrors.
2. One part vinegar and one part water is an age old glass cleaner
3. Rub a small bar of soap on a squeaky door jam
4. Sweet Annie repels moths

There are so many old time traditions that still hold true today, but one thing for sure is that women have been Spring cleaning forever. While we have different approaches to how and when we get it done, the age long tradition continues. When I think about it, Spring cleaning is a sort of gratifying way to participate in a ritual that has happened for generations. And oh how we women have worked to make it easier and faster!! WE have so many new products and devices to help us that I , for one, cannot imagine how hard my grandmother had to work every year. For that, I am grateful,! But, I too find a big sense of satisfaction when my home gets spiffed up and the colors change with the arrival of bright colors, windows opened fresh air, and lighter and easier vibe moves in until we ache for Fall and cozy changes. AND, APPLES AND APPLE PIE FESTIVAL AT MJF. In September!!! Oops, I am showing my obsession again!! LOL!!!

LInda, I hope your lovely Farmhouse will soon be packed up so that the next family can move it and make it their dream farm! It is incredible how much we can amass over the years! I know it has always surprised me immensely at my own home. And it is true that those boxes just seem to multiply and we feel like there must be little Brownies or Spikes who are up to mischief while we sleep at night!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  1:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our gas furnace motor just burned out. They came to fix it and had to order a new motor. It was a Friday, of course, so had to wait until Tuesday for the motor to be delivered. Then they put in the motor. But our ducts are dirty and they scheduled that cleaning for Monday. After that, I will begin to clean and polish. Our spring cleaning usually comes in late April or May because we can have cold weather until then and can't open the windows.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lye soap and HOT water. That was my grandma's cleaning solution, also her clothes washing solution, and her dish washing also.
A bar or soap worked on squeaky doors, as well as it made drawers slide more easily..whether they were kitchen drawers, dresser or chest of drawers...drawers!
I don't know when dryers for clothes were invented, but even today the smell of sheets dried out side on a clothes line is heavenly!
We do not have a single curtain in our house...we live in the country. My mother, on the other hand, always had white starched and ironed organdy curtains in the kitchen and bath room.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  2:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't strange how the things we think are nice. Hanging out laundry, dishes by hand, things of that sort my mom and aunts considered a lot of work. Of course they had a much larger family than I do so maybe that's why. But they didn't have the option of dishwashers, dryers etc. My mom never had a dryer until she was in her 70's and then there was just her and dad so she couldn't justify using it very often.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  4:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother, after my daddy died only used the dish washer when we kids came home for holidays. The rest of the time she ate, washed her dish, glass of cup and utinsels, dried and put them away. Bay said that they may never use their dish washer because they eat out, bring take out home, or she is so wiped out after her 14 hour day, all she wants to do is sleep. Surely some day they will cook, make a mess and be glad to have the silent washer for the dishes and pots and pans.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  5:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- my Dad did the same thing; the only time we used the dishwasher was Thanksgiving and other large family gatherings.
I love my dishwasher! I waited a long time for it and really appreciate that it gets dishes cleaner with less water than hand washing.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  6:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right. Mine is broken. Sadly it died after only five years. A Maytag at that! The only reason I have not replaced it...When my son installed it he had to remove a layer of sub floor and drop the dish washer down into the lowered space. Our old farmhouse has pine floors. The first course of lumber goes one direction a d the top coarse goes a different way. My son said they did that to make the floors strong.He cut out and removed the top layer. It will mean redoing the base cabinets in order to put in a new dish washer. As old as I am I'm not sure I want to live in a remodel mess. Oh...I forgot to tell you why the base cabinets are shorter than usual...The whole family who built this house was about 5'4" and the dad might have been 5 '6" So he built the cabinets to fit his family. ..not me!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2020 :  11:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have trouble getting enough dishes for a load. It takes me three days with just the two of us and I don't like let them sit that long. Plus, I don't run it if it's not full but then have to wash by hand any pot I might need. So for me it's easier to do them up by hand.
We finally finished the kitchen flooring and put the stove and refrigerator in place. Gave me a bit more room and now my Hoosier, which I use for my baking supplies can go into the kitchen again. My kitchen is small with very little counter top so I moved my microwave into the pantry and put it on a cart in there. I had to go through the stuff in the pantry and get rid of lots in order to make room. A win, win. Now I have a clean pantry. I really don't use the microwave but when dad was here my old one died and he insisted I replace it.
I down sized a lot in the pantry when my daughter was here helping me. I know I can always downsize more.
She helps out at our local thrift so lots of times she will take it and if she doesn't want it she will take down there. They have a really nice store and things move quickly there.
I have often though it would be nice to open the wall more between the kitchen and pantry and actually make it one big room. But it is a lot of work and JT doesn't really have the time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 08 2020 11:14:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2020 :  1:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do use our dishwasher, but it does take at least 2 days to fill up. When the previous one broke and it could not be fixed, there were a few weeks between when it broke and the new one arrived and was installed. Honestly, two people don't make such a mess that it takes a lot of time to just wash everything. Plus, I don't put my cookware, knives, or some other older things in the dishwasher, so I still have a little drainer full of things after dinner.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  7:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we got our house 56 years ago we found out that because it was built on a slab and the drain was not fast enough, we could not have a dish washer because the sink drain would drain in there. Best thing that ever happened. My husband and I do dishes together and have lots to talk about while getting the job done faster.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  8:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, your husband is a keeper...of course after all these years you know that!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2020 :  4:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So yesterday I was not happy with the set up of the drawers in my kitchen so I took everything out and washed out the drawers, and utensil trays. Rearranged a bit and downsized things we no longer need or use. Feels good to get things down to be more manageable. I am enjoying being in the kitchen more but it always feels like there is more I could let go of so we will see how it goes. I may do another purge before summer. I will be moving on as I think I want this to be a consistent thing that I do. It just takes time to let things go. But when we move I do not want to be packing all of this so let it go I must. I think my dining room is next. There are way too many knick-knacks in there.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 13 2020 4:50:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  06:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else still working on this? For me it seems to be an ongoing thing. The more I downsize, the more I find I can let go of and take out of here. I still have some things that are hard for me to make a decision on so they are still here till I am ready to let go. Lately I have just been going through rooms and picking up things to put in the box for donations. Getting ready to go through my warm weather clothes and see what I have that I want to keep. Also as I put away the cool weather clothes and I am deciding to donate things I did not wear this year.
Anyone else doing this on a daily or more regular basis.
I remember clearing and decluttering my craft room a while back and Winnie and I were emailing. She was keeping me on track and encouraging me every step of the way until I finished. I feel like this thread is a good place for that for everyone now.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  06:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still need to get rid of a bunch of stuff. When my son came and got his trash trailer...well that made my job more difficult. If I fill up contractor bags to go to the dump I must leave them out in the weather or in the house. I will have to ask him again to park it in our driveway rather than the pasture for two weeks of so. After the soreness from yesterday's ball is goes away.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  2:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I think it's an ongoing project. It almost has to be...things come into our homes on an almost daily basis, so things have to go out at sometime, too....or we would run out of room! And our tastes and needs change. I think it's good to keep things to a manageable level.
I will do the same thing...I can look at a bookcase one day and wonder...when was the last time I read those? Or, am I ever going to read those? Maybe I should pass them along to someone who would enjoy them and free up a shelf? Or...what was I thinking when I bought this blouse? Or...I have worn this shirt out...time to get a replacement.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  06:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Denise, I find myself always thinking about clutter as I go about each day. So, you are not alone in your daily awareness and decision making. This process of “lightening the home accumulations” seems to be a conversation that women, of our age group, discuss frequently. I don’t think we are alone at all with this issue. One aspect of our community here that I find so helpful is that everyone has some experience with the problem and have tried ways to ease the pressure. Together we get to share and it helps to not feel alone or overwhelmed. Every suggestion or support makes it easier to make our own plans and decisions. At least, that is how it works for me. Many of us are wanting to downsize now that our families are grown and that downsizing may include actually moving to a new place which always involves facing lots of boxed up items in closets, garages, and basements. I know from my own experience, that I feel like a big burden keeps getting lighter as I face the decluttering of 40 years of marriage. NO easy task., but a real and tangible positive change.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  07:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I have said those same things. I have so many books, many with beautiful photos. Some just to read...but there came a time when God said that if I wanted to read a book...why not read His book, the Bible. So the others still take up space on a shelf.
Some folks enjoy reading romance like one of my former neighbors.
Some folks enjoy reading mysteries, like my DIL.
Some enjoy historical fiction.
Some enjoy cookbooks, gardening books, etc. That is what I enjoy when I have time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  08:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of books, too. At the new house I am trying to reduce excess clutter and will try to sell at garage sale when this Coronavirus is settled down. I have also just thought about calling the local library to see if they would be able to use them for additional stacks. That way multiple people could read them. Also some senior rehab places have libraries - that might even be a better place to call.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Linda. That nursing home or retirement home idea is great. Back when the transition from VCR tapes to CDs began the kids and I gathered up a bunch of videos and took them to a nursing home in town.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were movies for me not kids stuff.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Learning Together: Spring Cleaning! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page