TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  8:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you painted a perfect picture of Autumn with your words.
I have loved autumn since I was a kid. My birthday falls in October, the day after my mother's birthday. My daddy's birthday was 20 days later.
Autumn is the longest season. By that I mean if you decorate you don't need to change for three months.
I think I enjoyed it as a teacher because I took a room full of six year olds, and with God's help taught them to sound out words, read, write their thoughts on paper, add and subtract, care about their classmates,etc. All before Thanksgiving.
Autumn is that time of year when the earth prepares itself for rest. The leaves fall from the trees as the sap goes down. The leaves blow in the wind...as if nature is cleaning house. We decorate, clean and like you said bring out the quilts and covers. We change the clothes in the closet.I always love to move the thin cool old shirts my hubby loves for summer wear to the back and hang his soft cozy flannel shirts in front. I have several flannel dresses and love to wear them.
Autumn is that time of year when I think of cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas...so I begin to add cans of pumpkin and cranberry sauce, extra sugar, chocolate chips and new spices among other things to the shopping cart each week.
I love to see how the businesses decorate with corn stalks, pumpkins, etc. I plan my cooler weather projects, gather supplies for each nto a plastic tub with a lid so it will all be together.
Autumn is when the pecans fall from the trees. I love to get up early, take my rolley device as well as the original pecan picker upper, a couple of buckets, my coffee, and my sweater or coat depending on how crisp the morning is and go to the pecan tree. There I become like a child on an Easter egg hunt, so excited about each and every nut I find. It is such a good time to talk to God, to watch the sky, to listen to the animals as they eat the hay my son gave them. Later, after a few days, I sit outside at the table and shell some of the pecans, the sun is warm but the breeze is cool. The perfect afternoon.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 24 2019 9:04:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  04:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I wish Autumn was the longest season here. For us it is winter. Even though they are each considered 3 months long it depends on where we live. I would say up north the summers seem shortest and the wintertime longest because it takes so long for them to warm up.
It's great not needing the a.c. or fans in Autumn. It gives us a bit of reprieve on the heating and cooling. Autumn does bring around the chore of getting wood cut and stacked for the winter. But I love the first time we light the wood stove and that cozy feeling.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 25 2019 04:31:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  05:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the smell of wood smoke in autumn. I told my husband we need a second wood stove in our living room. It would keep this end of the house warm. So now I must choose to buy $200 more propane or a wood stove... I might just buy the propane this winter and put a propane heater in the living room. Besides it would be less messy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  07:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fall has been my favorite since I was a child! We had a screened in Back Porch, Fall was the best time for sleeping overnight on it! I was an outside kid! My Granny would have to get the flyswatter after me to make me come indoors!I love all the things y'all mentioned. So I wont type them again! Having MS. I feel the best in Fall. My only child ,Holly was born in October!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 25 2019 07:20:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Fall because it is the end of the hot weather. Summer here lasts about five months, May thru September. October is such a blessing, usually warm but not hot sometimes up to Thanksgiving. Rain usually starts late in October, but sometimes not until December in dry years. Three or four months of winter then comes glorious Spring! Our seasons don't exactly follow the calendar and they aren't always the same; some years are wet and some are dry. The in-between seasons of Fall andSpring are my very favorite.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  4:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What day in October was Holly born?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  6:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I had an October baby too! October is my favorite month.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  11:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fall is my favorite season too. We have enjoyed several days with highs in the low 70s and nights in the 50s. That sure makes it easy to think autumn! Marilyn, your description of fall is wonderful! Our trees haven't turned yet but we have a plant called goldenrod that blooms at the beginning of the season. I love to take out my fall fabrics to see what I want to make this year. Love to make bread too. I love it that all of us prairie far girls love fall too!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  8:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, you have such a way with your writing! It's so descriptive, I can hear, taste and smell everything that you describe.
With fall beginning and summer coming to a close, I do feel like it's similar to a new year. One is winding down and a new season begins. Harvesting is over, people have their pantries full with their canning, freezers are filling, you start getting ready for cooler days. Kids go back to school and get into that routine. Summer travel is over and things seem to slow down.
With our farming, the crops are harvested, fall work begins, fields are being burned and watered back before the water gets shut off for the season. That is one of my favorite days of the year...when the water is shut off for irrigating!!! It's time for celebrating everywhere...apples, hay mazes, pumpkins...time to enjoy the fruits of the harvest!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2019 :  06:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie,
You are so right about Winnie's writing. It makes me so ready for fall. Love the way she describes it all so perfectly! I am putting out my fall decor today when I get back home this afternoon. I have it all out, just need to tidy a bit first.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2019 :  10:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am humbled by the compliments on my fall description. Thank-you. Fall is meaningful to me and something I have loved since a child, which makes it easy to describe. It comes from my heart. Each year, I look forward to all the changes that happen and I never tire of seeing apple trees with limbs pulled to the ground full of apples, and pumpkins lying in fields waiting to be picked for pies and jack-o-lanterns. And the colored leaves...............to me there is nothing more inspiring than a canopy of colored leaves. And being raised near the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, the mountain sides become stunning with a carpet of reds, yellow, and orange. Those vistas on the Parkway are opportunities to get to see Mother Nature at some of her most artistic work of the year! And yes, Debbie, it is energizing to know that the work of summer is done and that we are once again free to join in the local celebrations of apple picking, corn mazes, pumpkin carving, pie baking and delighting in the arrival of cooler days and nights. The first morning where you need a flannel shirt on is something I anxiously await!!

Denise, post us a few shots of some of your fall decorating!! I am preparing for this Saturday to do most of it, but I have already done a few small things in the LogCabin space. Currently, APPLES are everywhere around here!! I know none of you are surprised to hear that!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2019 :  1:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the beautiful scenery in Virginia in the Autumn. I always loved it when we were there. Probably why I loved Virginia so much. I do miss it but who knows we could end up there someday Do you ever think about going back Winnie?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2019 :  06:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to go back to Virginia, but my hubby has no interest. As an extrovert, he has many good friends here in Gainesville and is well connected after teaching at the local college for 35 yrs. and serving as a Commissioner on the City Council for 6 years. Warren is in his 70s and he and I both know we don't have enough years left to cultivate an extensive group of friends again. He would be so bored and restless living in a new place without all of his weekly activities that he does with the friends here.

Virginia might be a good retirement landing place as the weather is milder than what you have in New Jersey. If I went back, I would want to live somewhere in the mountains or closer to SW Va. where it is not as crowded. There are Amish on the land over the mountains and there is still a good deal of small town living which appeals to me.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2019 :  09:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
That is certainly understandable. I think I would want to be in the west or northwest as the objective in moving for me would be to be nearer Ohio and my daughter and her family there. Though Ohio itself is not out of the realm of possibilities. Though they definitely have weather that is not near as mild as here or Virginia.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  05:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have everything out yet but here is one of my little fall setups. Sorry about the glare from the window.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  06:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise the table is perfect for your fall décor. Is that a crow in the background? Love crows for fall deco - not so much in my yard. Pretty plaid tablecloth. Gotta say I love plaids especially in fall colors.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  10:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Sara, that is a crow.
I have a couple of crows or maybe they are ravens that I keep out year round.
I love decorating for fall. When I get my hutch done up I will post a picture.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  12:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise do I see some head board on your wall? I love that stuff.
Winnie, why not plan a shopping trip to the Amish land you described. You could buy Amish things as well as a vacation home. You would not need a big house or lots of land, but you would have lovely temperatures, a summer escape.
I don't know how old you are but since I turned seventy I have had to slow down a bit. In fact, the last couple of years have been pretty unproductive. But for the past few months I feel great! I can work all the day long, as long as I remember to take a rest break when my back hurts, 15 minutes or so! Both my husband and I have no desire for travel...the comfort of home is pretty nice.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  1:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My son was born in October - 16th.
Crows are a sure sign of fall in decorating.
I don't know if it is the weather or what, but my hip only hurts lately when I am in BED! I change positions about 4 times before I fall asleep, then I am okay until I wake up. That's one way to get me out of bed, I guess. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  1:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, mine hurt when I go to bed also. Maybe they are telling us we work them too much! I usually put a pillow between my knees. That sometimes helps. Three advil helps me get to sleep faster. That way I forget the pain.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  04:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
My daughter's birthday is the 19th and grandson's and nephew's is the 22nd. We have so many birthday between now and Christmas and we have 5 in February. January helps me have time to prepare for them. Lol. January and March are the only months I don't have any dates to remember.

I have been hearing crows everywhere and yesterday I heard the geese flying over honking their way down here for awhile before they head further south. Guess the northern states are getting chilly for them already. They will hang around here till October and then we will see lots of them flying south.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  04:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Geese always know, don't they! I think northern New Hampshire is already in the 40s for morning temps. We are 71° this morning. I'm happy with that. Our afternoon temps run about 20° warmer than the morning temps.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  2:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, was just reading the weather thread and I get tired just by reading what all you do. What a job!

I just have to keep track of my hens. We have been letting them free range a lot this summer. They have all been molting at different times for some reason and the egg production is down a bit. Or they are laying them in the woods. Not sure. We do get some in the nest boxes but I don't know if they all go in to lay or not.
The baby turkey is still here. One of them anyway. Don't know where the other one went.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  5:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My egg production is way down. Something must have taken the mean young BULLY rooster. Thank goodness...my hens were so afraid of him. He did not want them to come out of their pen and chased them back in if he saw them out.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been getting my decorations out a bit each day. It seems like I have been busy with 10, 000 other things happening so I have been delayed a bit. But it is slowly happening and I am enjoying it while being glued to the weather channel watching Hurricane Dorian. Looks like we get rain showers today from the outer bands but have been spared the horror of this storm's power.

Denise, I love your little fall gathering by the window! Very welcoming and fun to set the stage for the upcoming weeks.

I can't believe that once the storm moves up the coast past Florida, it will be highs of 96 ALL WEEKEND!!!!!!! UGH!!! Come Fall Come!!! PLeeze!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Any Autumn lovers? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page