Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 August ~2019 Dog Days of Summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic August ~2019 Dog Days of Summer Next Topic
Page: of 5

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  4:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I'm a little late starting this thread. Have a bit going on. Preparing for a visit from my bil, Dave. The one that use to live with us. He comes down ocassionally from NY to help JT with work.

I guess I have started my fall cleaning early. I have all but two rooms finished and the upstairs hall. We are repainting Jbear's old room and the hallway. I've been tweaking my decor and downsizing A LOT on many areas of our home.

Of course we had the scare with my sil. But she is headed home now. So all is better there.

We will squeeze in a trip this month for one of my Ohio girlie birthdays. Violet will be 3 already! Always look forward to seeing them.

What do you all have planned for August?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 04 2019 4:28:21 PM

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son turned 55 yesterday. He was in Missouri, wandering around, and still is. My dil and her mom and Had started their return home journey early this morning. My son took Bay and Triston for a long weekend get away. Triston was finally released from med hold on Tuesday, got to the bus to be taken to Waco...but the driver was a no show. Long story short...Wade and Bay drove all the way to San Antonio to get him. They had made a four hour one way, trip on Sunday to a visitation. He was tired but wanted to help Triston put some good memories in his head...after six weeks of AF, five in med hold. I guess they will be home tomorrow too, unless they find another place to see. Meanwhile we are so hot here. Wade and Bay worked really hard filling water troughs and putting out lots of hay and supplement tubs before they left. My husband has had to refill some of those huge new troughs for thirsty animals. I've continued my barn chores. I started the whole 30 eating plan on Friday and so far I'm ok. Funny, other than cheese, cream in my coffee, and milk now and then it resembles the way I eat anyway. Of course sugar! I do love a chocolate candy, but not now! Hopefully I can complete the 30 days and continue on.Bread has not been an issue since I really can't have it anyway. Tonight we start the dog wormer once again. This is round five for me and found four for my hubby. I do feel better. I have more stamina. It could be many things...just trying to eat better and control my pain are the main things, I guess.
I sure hope all of us make it to Autumn! God bless each of you and your loved ones too! I love you!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  10:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn! We will just be roasted a little more. Everyone will get home fine and heal well.
God is watching over you all!

Love you all
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
August is the such a long and hot month! By the time August gets here, I am really tired of Summer and anxious to move on to Fall. With persistent heat and humidity, it is no fun doing anything outside. Plus the mosquitoes and no see-ems will chew you up if you don’t put on bug spray! Lately, I have been thinking about how good it will be when we can open the windows for that cooler air, even if for just a few hours before the heat returns. And I look forward to making heartier dishes like chili, chicken and dumplings, and pot roast. Yum!

Marilyn, I sure hope your new feel better plans will bring you to September feeling much better!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  4:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just went outside! Looks like 3 Moonflower will open completely after dark. I had 7 last night. I fell asleep forgot to get my picture!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 06 2019 4:30:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  5:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is beautiful!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  7:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Co nie, your moon flower has heart shaped leaves! Cool!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  7:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love the moon flowers. Very pretty Connie.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  05:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your moon flower photo is gorgeous! I love learning about such interesting flowers because they can be missed if we don't know about them. I love Morning Glory because they close up shop at night only to be one of the first greeters of each morning.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  07:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Connie!

I love morning glories too! Such a sweet sight in the early morning on the porch.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mother always let us plant morning glories by the porch. Then she would put string up for them to climb on. They would climb the strings and soon we had a shady porch with those pretty flowers.
When we arrived at grandma's house in June, she would get out her moss rose seed. Then we would plant them in two rock planters, one on either side of the path to the front door.She had a swept yard, no grass.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  1:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allergy tests showed only a very small reaction to dust mites, Bermuda grass, and one mold. After two days of skin testing with 61 done on day one and 33 done on day two, nothing of consequence showed up. The allergist said I have what is called Vasomotor Rhinitis, or non allergic rhinitis, which is triggered by things like changes in the weather, humidity, certain scents , and things of that nature. The good news is that it is just annoying on the days I have it (today is all clear, for example), and it won't lead to anything serious like bad asthma attacks. For several years, I have been wondering if the weather has been the cause for me because no matter where I go, or what time of year it is, I always react to changes in the weather. Drop in humidity? I have symptoms, big front coming? symptomatic, hurricane coming and going? yep, symptomatic. I kept telling my husband that certain old places with AC always caused a problem as well as every weather change. He thought I was crazy!! LOL!! When the pollen is very high, it isn't the pollens causing the sneezing I get, but just the density of them in the air at a specific time. So, I now have a new nose spray to use when I have symptoms and then add the benedryl as needed. The benedryl works great but makes me sleepy so I am hoping the nose spray, which is an antihistamine spray, will keep me clear in the day. Both of my girls have significant allergies and asthma and I am grateful to not have real allergies like they do because they have had issues their whole lives with symptoms and awful outbreaks of asthma with certain things like a bad cold. I am finally glad to know what has been bugging me the last 15 years!

I have been working on putting up my apple tree this afternoon. I love it full of apple themed things from Farmgirls, and things I have made over the years too. It was rainy this afternoon and my photo came out dark but I will post one soon to share.
With a wonderful Apple Cider scented candle burning, it almost feels like an early fall day?? except , It. Is. Not. Hot and steamy? YES! Cool and low Humidity? NOT by a long shot!! LOL!! But I remain hopeful!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  2:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie it is hot and like you I am thinking about Fall. I'm not decorating yet but today I did finish the wool applique apple table mat for our Apple Festival in Sept. I'll get around to ironing it when I set up my vintage wooden ironing board to iron a stack of aprons.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  2:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I bet you were glad to have all of those tests behind you. I'm glad that it wasn't anything serious, although annoying.
Connie, what a beautiful moonflower! I'm going to try and plant some next year.
I am SO ready for fall! It has been near 100 for the past week. Cooler temps and a chance of rain are coming tomorrow...hooray! I shouldn't say that too loud as my husband is trying to get some fields seeded this week.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  2:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I meant to ask you what med hold is??

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  5:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I think med hold is where they put recruits who get sick, or have something show up during a physical exam, or are depressed. I know he was not sick of depressed, so I guess they found something on a physical exam. He did say some of the kids were depressed...but in med hold the instructors were not constantly screaming at the recruits, unless they did something wrong.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  6:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks y'all
Marilyn, I love those heart shaped leaves too.
Debbie, my aunt started the Moonflower from seed in March. Not hard to grow!
Winnie, love your cozy Apple display!!!I'm ready for Fall!!! Lily June got mommy's new glasses! Lol! She starts school next week.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 08 2019 6:13:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  7:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lily June such a sweetie!
Her growing up years just went entirely too fast!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  9:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lily June! It is hard to believe you are such a big girl. I remember when you were a tiny little baby. Your grandmother was so excited. What grade will you be in this year?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  11:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So cute!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2019 :  07:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the other day I clean up the floor of our pump house where Terry's mom kept all canning stuff. We need to replace the door on it. It's not good. but I picked up old cardboard boxes and swept up the dirt and broken glass. Now you probably wondering why I'm telling you this. Because about a month and a half ago, my hubby went out there to get a jar of pears and felt something brush his neck when he come out the door, It was a HUGE snake curling back up the side of the building. When I say Huge that's what I mean. Terry said it was about 6 or 7 feet. I wished I got a picture of it. Needless to say it took me this long to get the courage to back out there. Believe I banged with a lid loud hoping I didn't see it. But I didn't see any. We have creek behind our house, so Terry thinks it came from there. It gives me chills.
But I got it clean and am going to put all the canning stuff out there. And replace that door.
Eeeeekkkkkkkkkkkks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2019 :  11:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, you are so BRAVE to tackle that pump house after what hubby discovered a short while ago!!!

Connie, Lily June is just adorable with her Mama's glasses on. Hard to believe she starts Pre-V K this year!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Aug 10 2019 11:10:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2019 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, you are brave! Not a day goes by that I don't look for snakes when I go to the chicken pens. Yesterday a long, long chicken snake was entangled in the bird netting. He was probably looking for water, but he is dead. Earlier in the week a copperhead was caught in the Banty pen's netting. Those two momma hens have been out trying to herd their six or seven little ones and keep them out of trouble. I have no idea how many total they have hatched out but it is a bunch.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2019 :  3:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I have the allergy thing today. I know what is causing it. Hay! Last night my son and his friend worked quite late raking and baling hay. Then about two o'clock this afternoon I saw the tractor with the rake come by the house, so haying is in full swing. They should finish this evening ...but meantime the dust, the fertilizer dust, and the cut grass smell has me sneezing a bit. Last week the neighbor did the same thing.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2019 :  5:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee!! that gave me goosebumps!! I don't like snakes!!!
Marilyn and Winnie, the time has flown by. Lily June will be in Pre K 4 year olds. I have had her 2 to 3 days a week since she was 3 months old. I still will get to keep her 2 days a week! and when Mommy goes out of town for work!

My sinus have been the worst this year than any in my whole life. Its so humid and I sleep under the ceiling fan and wake up sneezing! Getting older is not for Sissy's as Betty Davis said!! LOL!!
Jessie(Denise's baby) shared this on face book," Christian Ladies who love Vintage." I just loved it!!
Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2019 :  5:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, I had to quit reading your post for a second...haha! Totally freaked me out! I could just imagine what that had to have felt like for your husband...yuck, yuck, yuck! I am covered in goosebumps right now...
There is NO WAY I would have gone back out there!!! You are a brave woman!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic August ~2019 Dog Days of Summer Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page