Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 August Learning:School Days & School Ways
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic August Learning:School Days & School Ways Next Topic
Page: of 2

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  12:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know my life could change, but at this time I have an overflowing plate of stuff to do. I don't go out after dark,because the on coming headlights bother my eyes.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  2:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little grandboys have been going to a "summer school" for the past 2 weeks and loving it. The past few years it had been offered for new kindergarteners. They were able to ride the bus and have a short school day, just the kinders. They had the school to themselves and could learn where everything was and get used to the school routine without all of the other students there. Much less chaos and they felt more confident when they started. This year they opened it up for all of the K-5. They've been having math and reading in the morning and art and science in the afternoon. Yesterday they had a walking field trip and got caught in the rainstorm but it looked like they had a great time anyway, judging by the smiles on their faces!
When my son started first grade (he is 34 now) I made sure that he got 1 of the 2 teachers that taught phonics. He and my daughter both got to have this teacher. They came out of her classroom able to sound out any word that they came across. Now they teach "sight" reading....I won't even get started on how FRUSTRATING this is! They have no idea WHY the word says what it is...it just "is". No sense at all! My DIL took the 2 older boys to a tutor an hour away every week this summer to learn phonics basics and get caught up. I feel bad for the kids who continue to struggle with reading this way. It has to be frustrating for them...it's no wonder so many childeren can't read and give up!
I am also sad that kids aren't being taught cursive writing anymore! The joke is that we will be able to use it as a secret handwriting code one of these days! My little boys are trying to teach themselves. I found some really good cursive writing books for children off of Amazon for them.
I used to get excited when the stores would put out the school supply lists for the new year! I especially loved getting a brand new box of crayons!! I was so happy the year we were required to get the box of 24 because I would finally have a peach crayon to use for "a skin color". The other day I was getting groceries and I splurged on myself and bought a new box for the house and got the box of 96! I have been coloring with my little granddaughter when she is here and there are SO many pretty colors to choose from! haha
I also loved sewing my back to school clothes and would start in the summer. It was one way I had to make fall get here sooner! I think it was my senior year and the day before school started I decided that I could not find a single thing to wear the next day! So, I made myself a new pair of pants that day and off I went! Back then, I could get away with being in the sewing room all day. I didn't have to fix dinner for the family or take care of anyone back then. Fun memories!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  7:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, my own mother taught me to spell by breaking words into syllables. I was in second grade. She called the spelling list out for me to practice. He said cookie, but I spelled it cockie! She got that worried look on her face. Then she began our spelling journey. When I became a teacher the subject I always asked the parents to help their kids with was Spelling. They may not understand the math or reading but most adults can spell.
My husband can not spell or type!
I have taught many children to read using phonics. Like you I do not understand what went wrong with public schools!?!??!!
While subbing at two small country schools I had the opportunity to compare how the little ones were taught. My son's alma mater where I taught for seven years still taught the old fashioned phonics. The other school, no. No teachers text book nothing.
Finally the last couple of years the superintendent realized why the fifth graders were struggling so much. No one had ever taught them phonics!!!
Now I do not care how many books a 7 year old kid tells you he has read...if you ask him to read one of those books to you...95% can't do it.
Here I Texas they have AR Reading. The kid reads the book then takes a test on the computer. Four of five questions. You would be surprised how many can not pass an AR test. Sadly a program that was intended to supplement the actual teaching of reading, has become the reading program.
It makes me sick!!! Our kids are so dumb...because their teachers are not smart enough to figure this out.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 22 2019 7:38:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  04:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's called dumbing down Marilyn.
Thankfully all of my grandchildren are avid readers. Infact, one of them gives consternation to her parents because she reads so much. My daughter takes full advantage of their local library and to get her to do other things she has to earn tokens to spend any time in front of the television orcomputer. They can earn them by doing extra chores not on the regular chore chart and by reading. Which of course they have no problem.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 23 2019 04:27:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic August Learning:School Days & School Ways Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page