Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 August Learning:School Days & School Ways
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic August Learning:School Days & School Ways Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For many states, public schools begin a new year in August. August 12 is our start date here in Gainesville, Fla. In my youth, school always started the day after Labor Day, but today, public schools vary from state to state depending on local decisions.

In researching this topic, I learned a great deal that was new to me. In America, the first public school was the Boston Latin School which opened in 1635. It was , however, was not free and required a tuition to be paid by every student. Using public taxes to fund schooling did not evolve until the mid 19th Century. In the South, children were schooled in their homes by family or paid tutors. It was not until after the Civil War in the Era of Reconstruction that public schools became available.

Working towards of the goal of public education for all, Horace Mann, 1796-1859 ,and a known Lawyer, Politician, and Educator, pushed for education to be available to all children. He believed that education would help children rise out of poverty and become good citizens. Mann, an orthodox Calvinist, would preach what he called "The Gospel of Education" all through the northern and southern states. In 1837, he was elected in the Massachusetts Board of Education to do major education reform for America.

Many states and families thought schools should focus on the virtues of family, religion, and community instead of reading, writing, and math. Horace Mann was in favor of schools teaching both academics as well as basic civil duties in the community.

Horace Mann's work and reforms carried forward the efforts to provide schools for all children tuition free. By 1900, 31 states made school mandatory for all children ages 8-14. By 1918, all of the states required students to complete elementary schools and public schools were all tuition free.

In the 1930s, John Dewey became a founder of what was called progressive education that focused on schools helping every child reach their full potential.

Starting n 1954, with the Brown vs Supreme Court Ruling, segregation of all schools began but was not completed until about 1970 following the 1964 Civil Rights Act passed by President Lyndon Johnson.

Today, public schools struggle with ever decreasing Federal and State funding. United States ranks 14th out of 40 developed nations globally in performance and excellence of public education. It is a testimony to the huge need the US needs to focus on public education to make our nation competitive in the global economy of the future. Since the early days of our country, education was viewed as important. But over the course of our nation's history, there have been many disagreements on how to accomplish the task.

For me, a new school year was always exciting. I thrived on the learning of new subjects, meeting new teachers, and making new friends. While we all complained of homework, the school year rhythm was good for me and it helped me to strive when subjects were tough, and expand where subjects were easier. As I look back, I had many excellent teachers. I owe them a great deal of gratitude for their patience, encouragement, and good sense of humor with me and everyone else in the class. Teachers are part of the fabric of growing up and I feel we owe them respect and support financially to do what they have a passion to do. Many a child has been inspired by a teacher!

What are your memories of school days? What do you think now of public education? Did you have a special teacher who changed you in some way?

Do you find a new school year still brings out that excitement?

Here is a little school from my recent trip to Canada. it was built in 1907 and functioned as a public school for this small rural area about an hour NE of Ottawa. Today it is an art center for the community. It reminds me of many one room red schools in the United States too.

Celebrating the kick-off of a New School Year 2019!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  3:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, loved all the information about school. Loved the picture of that school in Canada! Sad that America ranks that low.Nowdays, Sports trumps education in many,many schools! Arts and music have to funded by private sources.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 04 2019 3:19:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  3:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From age five, when I began my schooling as a first grader...until age 74, I was involved in school.
I've taught in public and private schools. I even taught my grand kids at home, until they started public school. I helped Hadlee the year she completed high school (grades 10, 11, and 12) through a home school program.
Public school failed Hadlee but was great for Baylee. I'm glad to report that Had is an A student in college.
Common Core just about ruined public school... ( Do not get me started!!!) just as George Bush did with his No Pass, No Play! I admire moms and dads who choose to home school their kids, then order curriculum and do school right.
For years I have believed you could teach ... In half a day ...what public school spends all day working on. Think about it! Eliminate morning and afternoon recess, as well as lunch period and that 45 minute planning time that teachers have...and that is two and a half hours.
Right in the middle of my teaching career, I skipped school for one year to run a 100 seat restaurant and eight fishing cabins, for friends. I missed the smell of crayons! I missed them so much that on the days I shopped for groceries ( that the big trucks did not deliver) or odds and ends for the restaurant, I would seek out the crayon boxes, open and inhale!
There is a young woman I have seen interviewing college students in Ohio. Those young people are the product of common core and are so vacant in their brains. It is so sad!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  6:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, while I was teaching first graders to read, write sentences, add and subtract...we always begged for books...and we're usually told There were no funds for books. But the football team always had what they needed...plus what they wanted.
I was on lots of committees during my career and I always said "if they don't learn to read, etc. In first grade, how on earth can they play football?"
Of course we have all heard of the coaches going to faculty to ask them to change grades, so some kid or kids could play ball!

I once taught with an older retired army guy. He told us that after his military career ended, he was hired by a pro team (unnamed). His job was to drive around those inner city neighborhoods looking for really good, athletes. Usually basketball players. They would invite the best ones to try out for the team. Then his next job was to shepherd his recruit(s) through the airports, into the hotels and try to keep them out of trouble. The recruits often could not read or write.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  8:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Growing up, our school year always started the day after Labor Day, too. And our last day of school was in the middle of June. In Texas, in the past 20+ years school always starts earlier - once on August 9th! And also most school districts let the children out before Memorial Day.

I remember always looking forward to the first day of a new school year; I also looked forward to the last day of a school year, because that usually meant a fun summer. LOL!

I loved English and Math, and disliked science and history.

I know that now many teachers - possibly most - have to buy a lot of their own classroom supplies. The school supply lists that parents have to buy include individual wrapped snacks (for Kindergarten, at least), Kleenex, and many other things that are for use during the school year by the students. I purchased supplies for my twin grandsons one year and it cost $80+ per child; that is a lot for some low income families.

It does seem that sports teams always get the supplies they need. It is sad that sports is the highest priority in many schools, and other groups needing funds suffer because sports gets more than their share.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1273 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2019 :  1:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In California our school year also used to end the middle of June and start again after Labor Day; now it ends in May and starts in August. I haven't seen that it has been an improvement. We never used to take anything back to school except our lunches and now the kids have long lists of stuff to bring that the schools previously supplied. Yet the taxes keep going up; where is the money going?

I loved, reading, science, and history. Hated math. I haven't yet found a practical use for algebra in my life. I think schools should put more time into teaching practical things like balancing a checkbook and figuring out how much paint to buy to paint a wall. I also believe there is too much emphasis placed on sports.

In between my years working in libraries I spent a couple of years working in a continuation school. Those were the kids that fell between the cracks in the regular high school. The majority were very intelligent; they just marched to the beat of a different drummer and it was an enjoyable job to find the particular beat that sparked their interest to learn.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Judith.
My grandchildren are learning to use an iPad in kindergarten. They each purchase a set of earphones which is good for not catching things but the third grader had to have a chrome book and the parents pay for it. I don't know if she got to keep it but she was only allowed certain things on it for school. But I'm thinking if they had to pay for it she should be able to use it all through school.

I enjoyed my school days. Things that were taught focused much differently than what is taught now. They have removed much of the history from our textbooks and that is sad.

Here too they start in August and end in May.
I home schooled my children and we always started the day after Labor day and ended in June. It was cooler here so they weren't miserable during the hot months of Summer.
We chose to home school for various reasons. The biggest being that they could get one on one teaching and also we chose to encourage them to interact with all ages, not just their peers. I encourage everyone to make their own choices on what is best for their own children.

I loved school. We had some amazing teachers.

I always looked forward to all the newness of each school year!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 08 2019 06:23:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  2:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am fascinated to read how similar our school experiences were back several decades ago, and how different the school system is today. The one thread that several of you mentioned was the special teachers and school experiences . Teaching is a calling, I believe, just like the ministry. Not just anybody can do the job of teaching. I take my hat off to the many teachers who have stayed with the profession and helped meet the call of educating our children for the future of this. Nation.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  6:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The school system is very different today. And the children are different. When I was substituting I found that some parents didn't care about their children's grades. Many times when a teacher called the parents because their child was failing the parents could not make time to come in and talk to the teacher. And these were the children who needed their parents involvement.

I remember my 3rd grade, 5th grade, and music teachers most. They were all teachers who really cared about their students.

Judith - You said you hated math and "haven't yet found a practical use for algebra in your life". I love math and I use it every day. I may not write an algebraic equation every day, but when resizing a quilt block the math used is similar to an equation. Your MJF name - stitchinwitch - leads me to believe you sew? I use math all the time when cutting fabric for quilt blocks and measuring quilt backings and also when measuring and cutting other items for fabric items or arts & crafts projects. Other daily uses for math:
- Cooks in the kitchen when measuring ingredients for cooking and to make a recipe feed more or less people.
- Farmers when laying out a plan for planting their crops.
- Police officers use math when measuring skid marks after an accident.
- Pharmacists use math when filling prescriptions.
- Bakers use math when baking and cutting cakes and pies.
And you said you wished they taught kids how to balance a checkbook and figure out how much paint was needed to paint a wall. Both of these life skills require a knowledge of math, and possibly a little algebra to figure out the paint.

As I said before, my favorite subjects were math and English. My last job was a technical editor of courseware - this really used what I learned in English. How many of you remember diagramming sentences in English class? I loved diagramming - made adverbs, verbs, prepositions, and other parts of speech more understandable. I wish they taught diagramming now, it would help a lot of kids understand the parts of a sentence. I took an editing class at the Jr. College near here and the teacher brought up diagramming sentences as a way to help an editor determine a way to split up a sentence that was super long. Only she, myself and one other student, out of 24 in the class, had diagrammed sentences before. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 07 2019 6:22:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1273 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1273 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2019 :  09:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Math was my least favorite subject in school; I preferred reading, social studies and science. I use math all the time now in all those areas you said and more. I have taught several of my friends how to resize quilt blocks. When I was in college one of the upper division classes --Basic concepts of math--was one of the most enjoyable classes I took. We worked in different base systems and multiplied and divided in ways different from learned in elementary school. I wish I could remember some of them now. I still have no use for algebra :-( .What I meant about the checkbook and paint comment was I wish they would spend more time in school teaching practical things -- survival skills for life; better preparation for adult years. I worked in a continuation school for a couple of years; I taught those kids how to make bread, drivers education, and a few other practical things addition to the regular stuff.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First year algebra is a nightmare for lots of students. It was for me...I remember crying over it and my daddy telling me the answer.I stopped crying, looked up at him and said how did you get the answer? My teacher told us we had to show our work. My genius daddy just looked at the problem and told me the answer! So I have decided that algebra one is taught to try to get stupid kids to think outside the box! Algebra two was a breeze. It was easy peazy!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  07:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the seventh grade I had one teacher for all subjects, Mrs. Smith. If we had time at the close of any subject she would give us a string of numbers that were added, substracted, divided, and multiplied. I loved it and even if I didn't always raise my hand first I always knew the answer. For years I was able to quickly do math in my head and that ability came in handy. I'm slower now but I still find myself doing it in my head rather than looking for a pen & paper.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love math and loved solving algebraic equations in school. I also liked plain and solid geometry. LOL.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  9:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my son was maybe 25, he had moved back home with us. I had just bought my sweet little pepper. She was a miniature Schnauzer. After her first trip to the vet, she would always begin to cry and try her best to hide so she did not have to go inside. Someone told me that she could tell where we were because of the Orange juice smell from the large day care next door.
Anyway, one evening after school I drove to town, picked her up and off we went. As I looked at my bill, which I thought was a bit steep, my son asked what they did. So I read off each thing as well as the dollars and cents each item cost. There were 8 things they had done. When I finished the list my son said, " so they charged you ___$ and ___¢. ". I was shocked because he was correct. Then I asked, "how did you do that???" I told him he has a calculator brain. I can add in my head...but not eight numbers each a different dollars and cents amount. No way!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  03:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love math and rarely put pen to paper to figure anything out. I especially love doing long divison in my head for some reason. Guess I'm weird that way. I've always loved it. I use it when grocery shopping, maybe that's why it takes me so long to get it done.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 19 2019 03:57:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  04:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My DIL used to always check my mental math, with the calculator on her phone! I learned to laugh about it. The kids did not want her to help with their homework. She is an excellent writer. But she wanted to critique every paper they wrote, after the eldest got to high school. She and her calculator also got better at math.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  06:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't usually need paper and pencil for math. I guess I use it enough to keep it fresh in my head. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  11:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here Linda!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  06:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The University of Florida dn Santa FE College started fall classes yesterday. The first UF football game is this Saturday. Yep, another school fall term has officially started for all students! Let the learning begin!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  03:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet it's difficult when the schools start in August there. I remember, of course it was years ago and I was in 7th grade, we used the outer small buildings for classes there in Tampa and it was very warm. But maybe it is worse in June and that is why the school year there is from August to May. Funny though, it runs the same in Ohio. Here they are starting September 9th. Usually the 3rd but they had to delay here a week for some reason. It was in the paper,but I've forgotten the reason. I always loved the start of the new school year, everything was fresh and new.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 22 2019 03:12:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  10:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The teachers in Texas started a week or so ago. The kids started Wednesday! In our town, with the college, it is a night mare. I believe upperclassmen move in this weekend. Last weekend it was soph & jr time. The week of two prior to that was Duck Camp which Freshmen must attend.It lasts several days, they also moved in.
So next week our towns population officially grows by lots and lots of young people. I've heard 10,000. Anyway traffic is horrid, due to those entitled young men in their pickup trucks raised so high off the ground, you can't tell if there is a person driving or not!
I won't be going to town much!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  10:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lady who cuts my hair told me that the district her grandkids attend has gone to a four day week! They are just thirty miles north of S'ville. They will start at 8am and go until 4:15pm, monday-thursday. They have Fridays free!!! Yea!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  11:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I heard that a few districts were doing that here in Texas. So what do the working parents do on that day the kids are home each week?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  11:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, no, Marilyn. I guess that would be bad. Because there is a college do you have a lot of neat concerts and other events that you could attend? A lot of college towns are great for seniors because of that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  11:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fine arts has plays, or at least they used to. I don't know of anything they do directed at senior citizens.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not necessarily directed at seniors, but you can always go to the performances for something to do.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic August Learning:School Days & School Ways Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page