Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireworks, fireflies & fun-July 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireworks, fireflies & fun-July 2019 Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  12:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having grown up in the pan handle and western Texas where there was little humidity and very few trees, coming here was a shock. There are trees in abundance and SO much humidity. I once tried turning the a.c. Off and opening windows, periodically during the spring and autumn. Problem is it takes several hours for the a.c. to remove most of the humidity from the air. Because it made the air conditioning system work so hard, I gave that up! Now when the temps get to the mid 80s the a.c. gets turned on, and it stays on until cold weather arrives. My husband is so allergic to rag weed, it helps him to be inside.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  1:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, it doesn't. My paw-paw made it for my mom's garden years ago.She kept it.
We fenced in a area when Lily June was 1 so I would not have to chase her to the woods. I thought the gate would make it look better.we dont need now she is 4.I wanted to keep that side up.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 07 2019 1:04:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I could not live without ac at this point in my life! We didn't have AC untill I was 12 years old.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  1:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I re-did my shelf for the summer. My Granny had a lot of this window pane jars, she canned a lot in them.On the bottom it has a cursive B. Wonder if its a Ball. It's the only one she had left.
Probably no one brought her jars back. Like me when I use to make Jam.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  1:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nothing says Summer like Lemonade! Promised Lily June some for tomorrow. She said," the good kind,Ganny!I made some last time from Real Lemon bottle juice. She noticed!! Lol!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 07 2019 1:30:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love your shelf, Connie, and everything you do with it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  6:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda! I change
it about every 3 months.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  8:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, years ago a lady in an antique store told me that Coffee came in those jars originally. One side is plain where the label was stuck on.
I love your shelf, and your gate.
When we used to go to Canton First Monday Trade days there was a booth that made the best lemonade! It was prepared fresh for you! I lemon,but in half and squeezed, lots of sugar, lots of ice a bit of water, then another cup on top so it would not spill as they shook it to dissolve the sugar. Yummy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  9:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn your recipe sounds good.
I love your shelf Connie.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  06:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a cute shelf, Connie! I never heard of these types of old jars like the one you have. Always learning something new here in our HenHouse!

NOthing beats fresh lemonade made with real lemon juice. It takes more effort and time, but the taste is superior to any powder mix, I think. I also love limeade made the same way. Another good aspect of making these juices is that you can easily control the sugar or other sweetener to be what you want it to be. So often packaged lemonade mix is overly sweet to my taste buds.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  07:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TThanks Marilyn, it does have a square smooth area on one side! Wonder if Maybe Ball made the jar for the coffee company. It has that cursive B on the Bottom. My Granny recycled anything that could be out of necessity. I use it for a flower vase. I'll have to research that more.
Thanks Winnie, I don't do the powdered lemonade mixes anymore just Wasted money! Nobody drinks it!
Connir

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 08 2019 07:27:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  08:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie,
Your shelf is such a cute way to display those things. Love the polka dot Pyrex, is it?

Today is rainy as was yesterday. More stormy yesterday so we just spent the afternoon reading. I haven't taken a whole block of time like that in a very long while.

This afternoon is looking good for the same after I get some things on my to do list marked off. The peaches have really ripened on us so I cut a lot of them up and froze them. Will put some in a pie and bread and eat the rest. There will be loads more when the free stone come on. I plan to freeze some more in pies and things. Will taste good this winter.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 08 2019 08:56:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  11:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, it's Fire King. Made by Anchor Hocking.I have a small collection. Began in the 1940s. Some for give aways in flour bags and gas stations. That's how my Granny got hers. Heat index of 103 today.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 08 2019 12:20:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  5:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I surely do hope you were inside. We began our day with sunshine. I left home at 8:15 to go visit a friend. She is the one who can't drive any more ...but falls a lot. We had a nice visit, just not !omg enough! I had to come home and fix lunch. Just before I left, her hubby called to say he might be late for lunch. He is retired but supervising the re do of a highway. He said they had opened a large hole and could not leave until it was filled in...and it was raining straight down!
I got home, fixed lunch, looked at the radar and I wondered aloud to myself if the rain would ever get to us. It was moving north. Well before my hubby left to go back to work it had begun to sprinkle. Then the bottom fell out and we had wind, rain, thunder and lightening...from 12:30 until 3:30pm. We got two inches of God's blessing rain. I am so thankful! I took a nap!
Lightening scares me to pieces. It was four o'clock when I was finally brave enough to drive to get the mail.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 08 2019 5:50:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  5:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I have my mom's and grandma's Fire King dishes. Mom's had the wheat design on it. Grandma's was the goldish colored stuff.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  6:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, i stay inside!!
. I have trouble breathing when I her hot!
Denise, what treasures you have! I love the wheat pattern!!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 08 2019 6:43:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  7:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You be careful Marilyn! Are you in the line of the Hurricane coming in.
Take care!
Connie I have never seen a ball jar like that! That is neat!

Freestone peaches are sooo good, I love the smell of them when they are ripe. You can't smell them in the stores anymore.

Have a good day everyone.
love you all!
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  8:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking about fruit...we have thrown two large cantaloupes in the trash recently. The first one came from Arizona. They were so sweet right by the seeds, but bitter everywhere else. Watch out!
I bought peaches, you are so right they were cold and unripe...no smell. After three days I tried peeling them for dessert. They were not very good at all.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great niece collects pyrex. She has such an awesome collection. She began her collection as a child going with her mom and grandma to flea markets and antique stores. Now she is almost 23, got married last December, and she is still buying and selling. She has a booth at an antique mall.
I don't know if my mother had any Pyrex or not. If so it was destroyed in the fire, afterwards we just had to have the essentials.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  10:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We got no rain, Marilyn. Not a drop. Might have cooled it off a bit.

We got peaches at Ham Orchards and they were great!! Sweet and yummy.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  05:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HUMID here too. I have one Longaberger basket. They are awesome.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  11:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Linda this is our year I guess. Several times I have checked the radar and found no rain clouds near us at all...Then within thirty minutes we are in a storm! Where do they come from??? The air is so unstable they just materialize because others are nearby. I'm very thankful for the rain.
Today, I did my barn chores before eleven as I listened to the big jets fly over. I think they are military because they are so loud.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 09 2019 11:26:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  12:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn you mentioning military planes took me back to 9/11. Within a week a woman friend of mine from Howe we went to the Texas Tourist's building on the TX-Ok border. In an opened field they had placed a white cross for each of the victims. We walked through the crosses and it was then it became so real to me.

After the crosses we went to the Point on Lake Texoma for lunch. It was next to the Denison Dam. We were seated next to the windows and during lunch a military jet flew low - same height as the windows and then flew over the dam. It was followed by another jet and we knew they were protecting the dam.

It was a once in a lifetime experience for me. I was so far from what had happened but in that moment I was a part of it. From that day until now I know our military is standing guard and I owe a lot of my peace of mind to our men & women in uniform.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  07:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No rain here!Dark Clouds build up every afternoon! But no rain!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  08:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, we are in some flight pattern, because at certain times of the year the commercial planes destined for DFW sound quite slow, low and noisy...but military jets sound very different. We also have Black Hawk helicopters come near. Usually it is only three of them. We are only about 4 miles of less from the air port. I usually hear their loud whoop, whoop, whoop long before they are visible. I have not heard any of the large troop carriers with the double blades this year.
During the Vietnam era, they trained the helicopter pilots at Mineral Wells. They flew to Stephenville several times each week...probably 25 or 30 all in a row, right over our house. We were about 1/2 mile from the airport then.Those choppers were those tiny ones that looked like a bubble of a clear ball where the pilots sat.
When we were living at Chalk Mountain, we were often delighted to see the B52 bombers, three of them...training in the late afternoon. They are quite loud too, so we had time to go outside to wave at them...because they flew so low! It was so neat because they were following along the outter edge of the hills or mountains in that area so their path was not straight.
I am thankful, too, that they keep us safe and I know when I hear them, they are training.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 10 2019 08:34:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireworks, fireflies & fun-July 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page