Page: of 7

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 29 2019 :  07:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear about your dog, Lucky. We do love our furry family members. Hugs to your family who misses her.

Ed brought Cepoo (not sure how to spell her name, she was given to Ed by a doctor he worked with) to my property Monday. We introduced her to my cat, Calli. So far no cat fights to determine dominance yet. They are staying apart. Cepoo has been more friendly since she's been here, letting us pet her more than when she was at Ed's house. I guess she likes it here. BTW: CePoo means little shoe or something like that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - May 29 2019 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
So sorry about Lucky. Our pets are such a big part of our lives. I don't know that we realize how much until they are gone.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - May 29 2019 :  12:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry to hear about your sweet dog Marilyn,
Sending prayers to you !

Love you all!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 29 2019 :  8:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda, Denise and Darlene. It is sad to lose a family member with four legs.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  09:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have had two births- both bull calves - at Ed's property in the last week. To Blondie, his small longhorn cow, a black bull; and to Aggie, Ed's very first loline/Aberdeen cow, a beige bull. Both calves are very healthy, Here are pictures.

Ed is at his property today, and can hopefully load 9 of his cattle, because he is selling all but 3 of his herd. We have had people interested in some of them before, but have't been able to get them loaded. Ed has them all corralled now, so should be able to load them. Many have never been in a trailer.

Ed is keeping Aggie, her calf, and a Zebu steer named Nova. He doesn't want Aggie to have any more calves - she has a problem with her udders (they are always engorged, and especially so when she is pregnant) and there are only 2 small enough for a baby calf to nurse on, but they always seem to find one of them. We travel so much and the longhorn heifer and bull keep jumping the fences.

On another note, my laptop died. I am on my old one, and it heats up super fast so am limited to usage time. I hope I can save all the pictures and patterns on it.

NOTE: Ed's herd is all loline/Aberdeen (mini black Angus type) and small/mini longhorn, with a little zebu in their heritage.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 30 2019 09:23:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda your babies are precious. Gotta love a longhorn.

It's been too busy around here. Yesterday the handyman who did my raised beds leveled two of them. My yard slopes to the east on that side of the house and with all the months of rain the beds were starting to tilt. He shored them up and they are once again level.

I've been canning broths and drying mushrooms so I haven't touched my wool project in days. Maybe this afternoon I'll get back to it.

Tomorrow Betty and I are going to 3 estate sales and lunch. Bobbie has a day off but doesn't know if she wants to go with us or work in her yard. Hope to find something useful or vintage.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  10:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, maybe Ed should think about raising Mexican correnti cattle. My son started with long horns but after Blue Nose...He switched. They have small babies and so birthing is not an issue. The bull calves are sold or perhaps he will keep one now and then. Most bull calves are fixed and then they are Roping Steers. Usually some cowboy is waiting for new roping stock...sometimes he hauls them to the sale.But since he has been in this for twenty plus years the calf crop grows each year. Last fall they sold a bunch and recently they hauled more away. I think they have been culling the herds. One here belongs to our neighbor. Wade takes care of them all in exchange for using the neighbors place which is a good bit larger than ours.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed wants to raise Pygmy Goats, but depending on our housing decisions, we may not be raising any animals.

Okay - tell me if Ed and I are being stupid or silly -
Right now, we have 2 properties - I have 12.671 acres and a house and guest/craft house, and Ed has 10 acres a small house and a HUGE garage. We have been talking about building a house on Ed's property and selling mine, selling Ed's and keeping mine, or buying a house in town so we are closer to medical care. We found a house we like in town that is a larger house, but 0.62 acres - so no farm animals. LOL! Someone Ed knows is selling their house to downsize and we looked at it the other day. It is 3,037 sq ft, 3 bedrooms and 3 bath, all hardwood or tile floors, lots of updating, a beautiful wood deck with shaded pergola and outdoor grill, and a family room on the back that would be a perfect quilting/craft room for all my sewing machines and fabric. Oh, also a 3-car garage and a separate guesthouse that COULD be rented out. We love the house and the view from the back deck is a large pond in back of a newer homeowner area. IF we get this we would sell both of our current houses/properties. Since we travel a lot, we would be consolidated and have only one house to keep up with; we wouldn't have to keep up with what seems like constant honey-do repairs to my vintage house and Ed's house that needs major repairs.

So - What do you all think? Is this too much house for us? BTW - I currently sew in the dining room because I feel isolated in the separate little house.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  6:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, so sorry that Lucky has crossed the rainbow bridge. Comfort to you and loved ones.
Those new baby bulls are adorable. Glad they are healthy!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  7:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bonnie.

May is for flowers and this has been such a beautiful wild flower May. Thank you to our Master Gardner (we know him as God!)!

Today, about three pm, I was beginning to gather my crafty supplies to put them away and sweep up the mess I had made, when the lights flickered. Well after about ten times, this nerve wracking episode finally just stopped! ( nerve wracking because the a.c. Would stop..then try to come back...and the dinger on the cook stove kept ringing over and over!!!) Then abruptly everything was silent. No electricity at all.I tried to call the REA...my cell phone would not do it. Of course the land line does not work. So I texted Hadlee who had just come home...no help. Then I tried my neighbor who did not answer. But she quickly called me and said she would try to call the REA. They told her it was a major outage because a tree had fallen into the power lines and lots of people did not have power. Then suddenly it came back on. No more problems. Thank you God!
Hadlee's grandma is on oxygen. So that is always a concern when we have an outage.
We have had our share but I've never experienced the type we had today, ever before.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  9:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, does your son have a Battery back up or generator so that the grandmother can keep her oxygen going?

We had nothing like that here. I’m glad it came on quickly for you.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  9:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about a battery back up. I asked Hadlee today if her mom ever got a generator and she said no. See two years ago Julie's boss loaned her his generator to get through the three days and nights of no power. So I thought Julie would buy one...her mom has plenty of money, but she has not.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  10:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like Hadley needs to talk her mom into getting a generator now because of all the bad weather lately.
I am glad your power got back on Marilyn!
Linda on my opinion about your houses the one in town sounds the best and is big too. As much as you two travel it seems it would be too hard to keep animals while you are gone, wouldn’t it be best to sell the two houses and put it into savings for later when you retire? And also have a room in the house for crafting and sewing and just nice to be closer to your hubby, safer and loving, less maintenance too.
Well have a wonderful evening.
Love you all!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  04:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda how wonderful to have so many choices. The house in town with quest house sounds interesting. I guess it's because I have often thought having a B&B would be fun.

At five I was woke by a chick-a-dee singing it's little heart out on my front porch. I tried to go back to sleep but he just wouldn't shut up so I got up. Must say he would make a great alarm clock if only I could shut him off.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  1:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I need your help.

Betty and I went to estate sales today and I found a plastic laundry basket full of new spools of thread and misc sewing supplies for $3. When I got home I discovered a wee battery operated sewing machine still in it's box. No brand name just "Two in One Sewing Machine". I want to know how much it cost. It has 2 bobbin, extra needle, and needle threader.

A plastic sewing box with more thread, buttons, needles, pins, and hook n eyes.

I also bought 4 pairs of different sizes of sharp scissors for a quarter each.

Also electric scissors but no cord.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  3:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Sara, you hit a big home run!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  3:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, there is one on eBay for $16.99. It is in a golden yellow box. Then they want over $7 to ship it to someone.

Surprise to me...it is not a child's toy machine.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn. One of the women holding the estate sale said we missed all the sewing machines. I wonder what they were. I don't need a machine because I have a difficult time using one but I hope at least one of them went to a FarmGirl at heart. Surely I'll be able to sew a straight line on the little sewing machine. Something so fun and silly should have a name don't you think. Any ideas? Anyone?

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  9:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You found a great deal, Sara. Lucky you.

If you need a larger one, just let me know. I am sure one of mine would work for you.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  9:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
we are still considering that house, however the house next door is a previous rental and is a mess, and the one next to that one is also a rental. We aren't sure they would be the best neighbors. GRRR! Well, if this one doesn't work out we will find another - or stay here.

Ed sold 9 of his 12 cows and they are now all at their new home. Got rid of the longhorns - 2 of them were fence jumpers, so that is good. He's still got Aggie and her bull calf and Nova the Zebu Steer.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2019 :  05:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I have rent houses on both sides of me and it's the pits. One house is kept up because the owner sees to it but the other always has a trashy yard and it blows into my sideyard with raised beds. If they finish a coke or can of beer outside they drop it on the ground and there it stays. I don't understand that way of living.

Linda thanks for the offer but unless you have one that sews at a snail's pace it's not for me. A couple of years ago I borrowed Betty's sewing machine to make an egg gathering apron and because of my hand to eye coordination I couldn't sew a straight line. I see what I think is straight but when I finish its all wonky.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2019 :  08:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! This past week I have been. Irked in trying to finish up and keep up! Ever since our return, it has been non stop go and I have been frantically working to get back on track. Things are looking up finally!

LInda, your baby calves are adorable. To me, all baby animals are so cute!, A s to the house situation, I have to agee with Sara. We have had rentals where we lived over the past decade and the renters never care for the property. Plus many are young and come home all hours of the night with their radios blaring or laughing and talking outside for long periods. Buying with two renters on either side would be a problem for me. The house next door was a rental for about 10 years and when it sold two years ago, we were astonished at how cheap it went for. The renters had trashed the inside and the outside . The value of your property will be effected by the location of renters who poorly manage the house and lot. Something to really think about. Our house is currently valued for a lot less than we imagined. Three years ago when we considered looking for a smaller house and had ours appraised, we were astonished at the lower value.As a result, we have stayed and are doing maintenance and upgrades and staying. Renters can be a huge liability to you. While you get the house cheap, it won’t resell well because of the location. If I were in your shoes, I would select between your two properties and then sell the other and put money into any necessary renovations to make it just like you want it. If however, city living is more appealing, I suggest you look for another house where the neighborhood is more stable .

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  5:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, have you come to any decisions about your housing situation?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  7:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the renters issue Winnie. My son has gutted out and rebuilt some of those for good people. They sell for cheap but they are costly to remake! One I remember I believe they paid $15,000 for the bones of the house in a good neighbogrhood...Then spent over $60,000 on the remodel.
In our college town, all freshmen live on campus in dorms. Meanwhile their parents are on the look out for a house to buy for their precious daughter our son. They buy a nice big brick home in a nice neighborhood and suddenly the people next door realize they have been invaded by kids. Four or more pay to live there. It is a win win for the kids parents because they aren't paying for the dorm or an apartment and when the kid graduates and leaves the parents can sell the house...hopefully! Rents in town are through the roof! You notice I said Hopefully in the last sentence...they can make $700 or more per kid, although it seems the city is watching more as of late. Some unscrupulous property owners will put a dozen kids in a 1,600 sq. Ft. House.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  8:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have pretty much decided that we don't want to live with the rent houses as neighbors. I appreciate your inputs, too. We have seen too many houses ruined by renters. We haven't decided yet on staying in the county or moving into town. We keep looking at possible properties in town - we aren't young and being a bit closer to medical care is important. We are picky, though, and are looking for certain necessities and some conveniences that are important to us. Fortunately, we usually agree on most of these. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic May is for flowers 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page