YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  11:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene I won't be joining you with the swap but it's a good thing you are doing to pickup where Denise left off.

I've been looking at the aprons I got yesterday. I didn't take time to examine the aprons because there were 3 or 4 women waiting to look at them so I choice the ones I wanted and got out of their way.

The golden yellow bib apron with large red flowers turned out to be hand painted poinsettias. I won't be wearing it because I think being hand painted it is special. After pressing it I will display on the inside of the door in Yellow Rose Cottage. When the door is opened when I am out there I will be able to see it. Thought about putting it on the outside of the door but then the weather would affect it.

Another apron - red organdy with Mexican applique designs on waistband, pockets, and hem.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  1:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too went to an estate sale across the street. I found a nice little flower pot style yellow ware bowl with a green edge I can use to put flowers in for the porch. There was also a beautiful hand pieces and quilted double wedding ring quilt. It had several bad stains, which I think were blood, and one small hole. It had been stuffed away for years but I purchased it anyway. Then I spent the rest of the day working on the stains and I was almost able to completely get rid of them! They are located in one area and now you can hardly even tell. This afternoon I spent about an hour mending the hole by darning all of the pieces back together and then adding a small patchiest of batting and old fabric piece. The repair turned out better than I imagined and now the quilt is on the bed in the spare bedroom. It was worth all the effort because it's handcrafted and these oldies are hard to find.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  1:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Winnie what a wonderful find and that you were able to restore it to use!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, what a special find. Glad you were able to mend and clean it. Vintage items bring such warm to a home.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  4:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a treasure, Winnie...hand pieced and quilted, even!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  7:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sara

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  7:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you were able to repair the quilt, Winnie. Handmade quilts are such a treasure.

I have 2 that were made by Ed's grandmother. One has huge stains - we aren't sure from what - but they are large and dark brown. If they are blood, then someone lost a lot of blood. The stain is repeated through the quilt because of the way it was folded. Nothing was in it when Ed got it out of his bin, so the stain was from before. I've tried several things to get them out, but nothing has worked so far. What did you use successfully, Winnie.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 24 2019 7:27:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  9:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years I ordered a couple of blankets from LL Bean one was a gift for my good friend and I kept the other one. They were on sale, a bargin! It is red and off white much like their Christmas sweaters. Well eventually the white got some spots, kid stains, etc. So, not thinking I grabbed it when I was gathering fleece blankets and off to the wash it went. I never even thought about it until I removed everything from the dryer. My blanket was felted and much smaller but still so pretty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  03:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would try oxyclean on it Linda. If that doesn't work you can use dawn dish liquid and a bit of peroxide.
I put away my valentines. I want to get my March decor out because we are taking a long weekend go see the Ohio family and pick up JT's mom on the way back. She will be with us for 3 weeks. So I won't have a chance to do.much then.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 25 2019 03:45:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  06:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy your grandkids, and their parents too. Do they have big snow to play in??

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  07:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I thought about using peroxide and Dawn dish detergent but could find directions on peroxide use. How much of each did you use?

Linda, after reading up on the labels in the store of all the get out stain products plus the ideas from the internet, I decided to try BIZ because it seemed to have most of what other ideas contained all in one box. According to the BIZ label, I made a paste and gently rubbed it on the stains. I left that for one hour and then put the quilt in the machine on gentle, slow and warm water on the soak only cycle. I let it soak for one hour and then drained the filthy water, repeated the stain treatment process, soak again, and then wash on gentle using my own laundry detergent(the MJF recipe of fels naphtha, borax, and washing soda) followed by a 1/2 cup white vinegar rinse. The water was still dingy so I did one more cycle. Afterwards, I laid the quilt out in the grass and let it dry in the sunshine. The stains are almost gone except for the rims of each stain. But those rims are light and not real noticeable unless you are looking for them. On the bed, I have the area where the stains were at one end and another quilt laid over the foot of the bed for accent. It looks real nice, compared to what it looked like when I brought it home. But for 30 dollars and a few hours of cleaning and repairing, I have a really nice old piece that was hand stitched. To me, it was worth all the effort.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I tried Oxyclean and it didn't come out. I may try that again and then try the dawn and peroxide. The peroxide and dawn is what I heard about, Denise, but can't find the proportions recipe again. I will look again.

I'll try your BIZ suggestion, too, Winnie. I'll try anything if it will help get the stains mostly gone.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bobbie and I went to lunch at Braums and afterwards stopped by the Salvation Army. I found 3 men's 100% all wool jackets and I chose a multi-gray pattern I really liked. $5 - I thought the women jackets were hard to rip apart but men's jacket are twice as hard. This is my first and last men's jacket unless I come across a really special wool and I mean it has to be very special.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  1:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never thought of Biz. I use that in all my wash. The liquid anyway.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, when I washed my wedding dress last May, so Bay could use it...I used some homemade laundry detergent, some peroxide and some dawn. I soaked the dress in my kitchen sink for seven hours, then ran it on the gentle cycle. I was amazed.
The homemade laundry soap I made has
2 boxes of Zote,
2 Tubs of oxibleach ($ store)
1 box of washing soda (3# box)
1 box of borax, ( same size as the washing soda)
1 box of baking soda (this is what you use in your kitchen) I used a middle sized box about 6-7" tall.
and 2 containers of laundry scent crystals
I ground it all up in my food processor.
This is mixed in a kitchen trash bag, tied shut and turned over and over. Then you get two one gallon jars or a huge two gallon jar, snip off one corner of the bag and pour in your new detergent!
Since the bag is heavy You might want a helper with this part. My whole house smelled amazing.
You only use 2-3Tablespoons per laundry load. I am very impressed by this stuff. Roberts socks are white! We use well water and our whites become greyish, but not with my homemade detergent. Plus the fact that I cut the cost of our detergent bill in half by mixing it, and I am no longer frustrated because the store doesn't have the soap I was using, no longer lugging home detergent. My washer is one of those finicky front loader He machines. No problems
Now...Robert has allergies to Tide etc. But has never had any problems with this concoction.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  2:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I made that a homemade soap similar to that several years ago, Marilyn, and used it in my old washing machine. I had trouble with some of the soap clumping in the washing machine. Maybe I did something wrong? Your recipe has a lot more in it and makes almost double what mine did - mine did not have Oxi, scent crystals, or baking soda, it did have the other 3 ingredients.

Now that I have an HE machine, I cannot use it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  5:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the homemade. The zote soap is soft. The fels is a little more harsh so I stick with zote. I don't make more than one batch. I use to make a liquid version but I like the powder better. I also add a bit of biz to each load. Makes the whites nice and bright

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 25 2019 5:26:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  5:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why can't you use it in an HE machine? My machine is an HE and does just fine with it. This detergent is a lot better than the other that I made using Fels Naptha bar soap that I had to grate up with my hand grater. I think the oxi bleach product ( same as oxi clean) and the zote make this clean better.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  5:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, when I started out I made the liquid, years ago. But both my husband and I had skin rashes from it. Then I mixed up single batches of the fels naptha stuff. Finally I decided to try the Zote. I love the smell of it. The reason I made this double batch was the fact that I did not have half boxes of the borax and washing soda left to try to keep dry...and taking up space.
When I was a kid my daddy worked in the oil fields of western Texas. His overalls always got grease spots on them. We had a 55 gallon drum of soda ash in our bathroom. When we went to the laundromat to do our laundry, we always took a big scoop of soda ash. His overalls always came clean. I used to buy Shout, No More! This detergent takes grease spots away.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 25 2019 5:44:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  6:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The manual that came with my machine says I can only use detergents that say He. An He machine is new to me and I've been following directions.

If I make the soap Do you have to usee the crystals? I'd pprobably make only one batch, too. What do the scent crystals do?

Question: Why did you use your food processor to pulverize the soap mixture? Wouldn't that ruin the proccessor for food?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 25 2019 6:45:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  7:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scent crystals give the detergent a bit of scent. You can use essential oils but I did not have time for them to dry in some of the mixture. I washed my food processor good to remove the laundry soap the it got its Dawn bath. Both are soaps, as long as they are rinsed well, no problem.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  8:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay - in several craft recipes that use soaps I have seen warnings not to use a food processor or cooking pan because you couldn't use it for food again. That's why I wondered.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  11:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I saw that on a soap making video the other day, and I think it is perhaps because they are using real lye to make the soap. I have used my food processor twice to grind up the zote, etc. Both times were many months ago. I have used it for pie dough, and many other things since then. I am very careful in c!meaning up the device each and every time I use used it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  04:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The zote soap is difficult to grate by hand because it is soft. I have used the food processor for it. I have an old one that only has the blade and nothing else so I only use it for that. Just downsized my kitchen and got rid of it. I haven't made the soap in a while and forgot that I needed it for that. I guess I will find another way to grind it. I have made double batches and I store mine in one of the big 2 gallon glass jars. Looks pretty too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 26 2019 04:07:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  06:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise can you buy ZOTE in a box, flaked? That was what I bought.
Next time I may not grind it up. The flakes are small, dime sized.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic February ~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page