Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on~ 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic
Page: of 23

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  08:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did your quilts do, Judith?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  8:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The show is this coming weekend. I don't expect any ribbons this time, only entering one small one in the judging and five llittle ones for exhibit, mostly ones from guild challenges and classes. I'm slowing down on my quilting big quilts as the house and closets are full, but I have been enjoying making the mini ones.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  8:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm like you, Judith, the closets and cabinet where my quilts are is full and I only have 2 beds, but I still am making more quilts. I have had 5 quilted in the past 2 months. I'm sending her about 2 a month = these are tops I've had done and want to get them quilted so I have them done. I may donate a quilt once in a while and it is nice if I have a few to choose from when I decide to donate. I will pay her to quilt Richard's quilt and it will be from me and Ed, too, with Richard doing the work and me supplying the fabrics, batting and stitching. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Sep 10 2019 8:57:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  9:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, a couple of years ago I gave my son a quilt I pieced when he was quite young, it included some of the scraps from some dresses I wore back then. My mother had quilted it for me. It is huge. Julie was delighted because it made a spread for their King sized bed. I also gave Baylee, Hadlee, Triston and Julie each a quilt from my collection. Baylee got the double wedding ring that my mother pieced and quilted. I believe Hadlee got one that My husband's step fathers mother had pieced and the ladies at the Methodist church at Gordon quilted it. I believe I still have two more quilts that those ladies hand quilted.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 10 2019 9:39:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  11:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We only have one bed. We have enough quilts to survive a nuclear winter. I still have about a half a dozen big tops to quilt; for the first time in my life I am considering sending them out to be quilted. Heaving large quilts around on my domestic machine wears me out anymore. That's probably one reason I've switched to mini quilts, but making the minis doesn't use up stash very fast. I was having fun giving them away at the annual family get togethers but since Dad passed last year there will be no more get togethers. I've donated over 20 to charity and I guess they will get more someday if my kids and grandkids don't want them. But making them does keep me off the streets and out of trouble :-)

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  09:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have given my grandsons each 3 quilts I have made them. I know they have been and will continue to be used - probably until the stitching falls apart in some places. Being boys, the quilts need washing pretty regularly when they are using them. I gave my son and DIL one for their bed and another lap quilt for each of them. I have donated several for non-profit auctions. I tried to donate one to a local agency here in town and they said they had one donated once and could not sell tickets for it so they didn't want it. I tried.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, you could ask your local police, sheriff and firemen if they might have a need in winter months. I know we used to collect stuffed animals which were kept in the ambulances to give to children when needed. CASA always had need of covers for kids.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  2:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guild collects quilts for the chemo center, convalescent homes, children's home and unwed pregnancy center. Since these places all have transient populations the need seems to be ongoing. You might see if there are such places near you. My kids and grandkids will all get quilts again this year.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  4:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I love quilts. No matter how old or tattered...that just means they were used and washed many times.
I think your kids and grand kids will love your gifts. I know I would. Some day when their friends comment on the beautiful quilts in their collections...They will smile, and remembering you and your love for them, they will simply say, my grandmother made it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  4:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several quilts in my cedar chest that my great grandmother made . I smile when I see them. One is so worn it is in tatters; There is just no way to repair it but still I keep it. Maybe someday I will give it a new life as batting in a new quilt.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  5:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have the old Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt that was always on my great grandmother's bed. It has tattered spots, too. The interlining of it is another piece of fabric, so it is a lot lighter than most quilts.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  5:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, That sounds like a summer quilt. I keep meaning to do that with one of mine. I used flannel once but it was just as warm as one made with batting. Easier to quilt though as there was no batting to shed on the quilt and make my nose itch.
I think that was done a lot with Grandma's flower garden quilts as they were usually tied instead of quilted.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This one is quilted, not tied. It is definitely a summer quilt, but she used it all year round on her bed. I have 2 other summer quilts I got at estate sales. They are nice for just a lightweight quilt for the bed.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  9:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fell today. Inside not outside. No broken bones, just soreness. Tomorrow I will look for bruises.But God is always so good to me.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  10:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugs Marilyn -- sounds like a good excuse for a nice hot soak in the tub (with candles, music, and drink of your choice). Hoping for no bruises in the morning.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2019 :  10:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear that you fell, Marilyn. I hope you feel better soon. I had a small fall the other day - caught myself pretty well, but my upper arm hurt for a while - I think where I hit against the door jam.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2019 :  04:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn so sorry you fell and hope the soreness doesn't last long. Like you I always thank the Lord I didn't break a bone when I fall. On days my gait is off or I'm not lifting my feet high enough I stay in side. The only time I fell in public was when I was still living in Howe and went to Dollar General in Van Alstyne. When I got out of the car I knew my legs weren't acting right but since I was already there I decide to go ahead and go in. Well when I went to step up on the sidewalk my gait was off and I led with my left foot and the right foot couldn't lift up so I fell. MS symptoms can happen that quick because I was okay when I left the house only six miles away. Both knees were bloody but nothing broken. A woman helped me up and I went home.

Linda glad you caught yourself.

On a lighter side - girls don't y'all know we don't bounce like we use to.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2019 :  05:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You girls need to take it easy. Glad you both are okay. A fall no matter if just a trip up can mess up your back and such. Hoping you have no bruises Marilyn. Glad it wasn't worse than your arm being sore Linda.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2019 :  06:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, we certainly don't bounce like we used to! I'm a klutz! I admit it. But falls are scary and can be painful. So today is a be careful kinda day...at least until I get busy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2019 :  6:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I can quit entering quilts to be judged now. I have one of each ribbon ; honorable mention, viewers choice, third, first, best use of color and now finally the second place. From now on I'll just enter for exhibit only.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2019 :  8:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice quilt.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2019 :  03:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the color and design. Like Linda said "very nice quilt".

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2019 :  08:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Judith. Congratulations on your wins!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2019 :  12:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the quilt and congratulations! I working on wool appliqué. Hope to post when finished. Hope you gals who fell are ok.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2019 :  1:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful autumn colored quilt.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page