Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Winter Wonderland~December 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 9

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  03:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For many of us this is true but here we get snow only occasionally. Of course that isn't the only thing that makes winter. I enjoy a toasty fire, hot cups of things, and making a cozy home.
Do any of you cozy up your home for winter? If so, what are some of the things you do to give it that feeling?

I like to burn candles and get out warm throws to use for chilly evenings. Books, books, and more books and I like to cook more soups and stews this time of year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 01 2018 2:00:25 PM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  05:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of brown velvet scarfs that I put on sitting room tables. I also hang pretty tea towels on the backs of kitchen chairs. In the summer l like the look and feel of bare wood but come winter I want things covered up all toasty and warm.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 01 2018 05:52:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  05:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, rugs. I need to bring my rug down that goes under my dining table in the winter. Thanks for that Sara. I had forgotten all about it.
When I decorate for Christmas this year I am hoping to do simple and things from nature. Holly trees abound along our lane/driveway.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  06:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise one year I made bird nest on twigs that came together to make a triangle shape. I spray painted them white. Glue coffee filters between the triangle shape and filled with cotton balls. Added three blue marbles and a red bird. I made several and none alike because all the twigs were different. Gave two away. I put mine out the other day and it's missing a marble so will have to replace it. There's something about odd number of things that's more pleasing to the eye. It has held up pretty well considering I made it close to 20 years ago.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  09:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an awesome idea Sara! How did you ever make the nest? I wouldn't know how to start. Twigs are plentiful around here though.

I have a big crock that I want to fill with something....but I have no idea what to put in it. It is a big one like my grandma use to use to make sauerkraut. Sits on the floor. I was thinking about putting my five foot skinny tree in it. Not sure it will look right though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  09:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I cut the coffee filter to fit inside the two pieces of the twig that formed open ended triangle. Used hot glue gun to glue it in place. The coffee filter naturally forms a bowl which will hold the cotton balls that look like snow. I guess a fine spray of can Snow would add to the look. One of the ones I made and gave a way was a larger twig - foot long and wider triangle shape. Best I can remember it took the whole coffee filter to make the nest.

I like crocks. Your idea to put your 5' tree in it sounds good to me. You can always put something in the bottom of the crock if you did to raise the tree up. I have used plastic grocery bags and old newspapers - odd pieces of styro-foam works too.

Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  10:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bring out the throws here in Texas. One day it may be 40 degrees and the next 70 so you just never know when you might need one. And of course lots of candles.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  12:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love baskets as decor, grouped together or on the floor filled with magazines, yarn, a sewing project, or on a table or counter filled with fruit pot holders, towels. I just love baskets. I also love old crocks although I don't have many. I do have grandma's butter churn...because I remember sitting on a chair trying to get the milk to change to butter as I pounded that stick apparatus up and down.I love the blue lettering on the now brownish colored crock. The stick is long gone.
I also love the scents of autumn and Christmas. Throws...I keep them out year round, and always seem to add a couple of new ones at Christmas time. With A/C you sometimes need a cover if you nap or watch tv. Had and I don't have very good thermostats...in fact I think the brain tumor destroyed hers and chemo got mine.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 01 2018 1:05:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  12:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, do any of you remember the laundry sticks from years ago???. We got an automatic washer when I was ten. But I washed on a wringer washer when I was a newly wed. I think my husband cut a broom handle for My laundry stick.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 01 2018 12:56:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have quilted table toppers, quilts for the beds and the couch, wreaths. Advent canendar, and Christmas Card holders. I love the warm feeling I get from having the quilted fabric items around the house.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  1:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Linda, I love quilts too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  2:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all have great ideas! Thanks Sara for letting me know about the nests.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  5:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a fireplace but it lets out too much heat up the chimney before the fire goes out in our cold Minnesota winters. So I bought flickering orange lights and I have a great "fire" whenever I want. We have a sheepskin rug in front of the fireplace. I put out throws and placemats on the table. They go with the festive poinsettias on the buffet.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  6:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, that makes me wish I could cuddle up in front of your fire. It sounds very warm and festive.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  04:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, that sounds cozy! We had a fireplace some years ago but it didn't heat the room well because so much was lost up the chimney and we burned more wood that way so we took it out and put in the woodstove. Do you still use the fireplace at all for fires? I always decorated the mantle each season. I do miss the look the fireplace gave the room.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  4:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the weekend getting my fall decorations packed up and pulled out the Christmas boxes to get a little start. It was 81 and very humid with bad thunder storms off and on all weekend. It felt so weird trying to think about Christmas while it poured rain off and on and we even had terrible lightening too. Weather man says it will turn cold on Tuesday for a few days before it warms back up next weekend again. My Christmas decorating style is mostly old family favorites from the past. I like to keep it simple and just homey. My goal this week is to get cards out and then next weekend put up the tree. In the meantime, I have been reading and doing a bit of knitting for a couple of simple requests. It is always fun to have a few requests for old fashioned handmade gifts! We have a wood fireplace and love to have a fire when it gets cold enough. We have good wood ready but it has GOT to stop getting up to 81!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  5:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a sweet picture Winnie!
I wanted to get the tree up today as is our tradition but it didn't happen. But, I have a few things I have to get taken care of tomorrow and then I may try to get it done. It is a large prelit tree and I have never set it up before. I will get other christmas things out once the tree is up. I have so many things from my parents and I love putting them out. I wish I was better at decorating but it is not one of my strengths. Lol. I try.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  6:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my son built their home they put in gas logs in a fireplace. Of course they ran on propane...but only once...their house is so well insulated, it quickly became like an oven...the gas was turned off doors opened etc. trying to correct the temp. Now the logs no longer even function...but the white Austin stone fireplace is fine for hanging stockings.
Winnie I am amazed at how much your weather and ours are so similar. We have a cold week ahead, rain Friday. Then ???I
I put up outside lights early this morning. 42° was a bit nippy with a light North wind. Perhaps I will finish up later in the week. Right now I have a deadline...I must finish the stethoscope covers for Baylee to give her classmates on Wednesday.Then

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 02 2018 6:13:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  6:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this pic Winnie :)! Reminds me of New England in the Winter time :)!. I have some decorating done, now I am sick, so was a very lazy day today, hopefully tomorrow will be better :)!
Hugs

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  6:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth I'm sorry you are sick. Prayers that you will feel better very quickly.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  6:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies this is a tip. Around here almost every store sells plastic shopping bags...the kind you can reuse for groceries, etc. I have been buying these this year to use as gift bags. I have had too many mishaps with paper gift bags splitting open. From Staples I bought enough for all of the family birthdays and wedding showers. They are roomy,and came in several designs...some stripes for the guys. Some stores have their logo but Staples did not. Think about it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  6:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth,
So sorry you haven't been feeling well. Prayers you are on the mend quickly.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  7:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do a lot of what all ya'll do! Quilts, Candles, Bake, since it's cold, It keep the house warm! Cook cornbread for supper a lot! Read under one of my Granny's Quilts, I like looking at all the scrapes of fabric and remembering the dresses, nightgowns and aprons that they came from. I miss the fireplace, like Bonnie said, all the heat goes out, I can't carry wood in anymore, we use to have some roaring fires!! So Good to have heat and light from the fireplace the year of the ice storm in the 1990's, I think 1990 0r1992, the Winter Olympics were on, no electricity for 4 days so we put quilts over the doorways to keep the heat in the living room, we camped in there for 4 days! We had a battery operated radio and tv with a 4 inch screen!!!
Love that pic too Winnie!
Sara, I love your bird nest you made, sounds adorable!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  10:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that is a pretty photo, Connie
Feel better Ruth.
That is a great idea Marilyn, we have to pay for plastic bags here if we don’t bring our in California some are better than others. I never thought of that.

Thanks.
Love you all.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2018 :  05:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I love your camping out story! Ice storms are no fun! I remember a winter, about 1967. We had bought a little house on five acres, I was in College and Wade was about 3. Bad, BAD winter. Almost three months with no water. Thankfully my MIL lived in town as well as my husband's Grandmother and other family members, so we could go take baths, and haul water every day...after the roads cleared. I remember when our newly drilled water well finally thawed enough to get water...I took our dishes out to the well, sat on an old utility pole and washed and rinsed, placing my clean dishes and pans in a laundry basket. Then once inside the warmer house I dried them and put everything away. It was so nice to have my kitchen clean again. We still had frozen pipes and drains for several more days. It was mid March when things began to thaw. We would not have had so much trouble if the house had been built there, but the people we bought from had moved the house there for her dad, added on a bathroom, septic tank...and ran a water hose from their house to his. They had not underpinned or anything else. Greatgranny came to my rescue with plastic to cover our Windows and some to go around the bottom of the house on the north and wast sides. So we were warm in our little house. Wade could ride his trike around and around...which he frequently did! I was 23 and after my first five years of farm living...I had grown up in town...I had no idea country life could be so hard. My chickens did fine through it all, they had a nice little house we had made for them. Now for the last 26 years we have had no frozen water woes...because the pressure tank is in the cellar and the pipes are buried deep coming to the house. Smart man, Mr. McMillin, who built this way back in 1952.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 03 2018 05:52:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2018 :  06:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
Was that first house in Texas?
This is the only place we've lived that we have ever lost power during the winter. .
One of the reasons we put in the woodstove. The wood furnace also doesn't work because even though we can fire it up the blower in the house doesn't work without power.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 03 2018 06:00:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page