Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 Working on Badges, Sharing the Info!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Working on Badges, Sharing the Info! Next Topic  

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  12:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Girls:
I am trying to get caught up on my badge applications. Right now I'm working on Putting Away For Winter...I believe that is one that we are all working on this fall?
I've been stashing berries away in the freezer all summer. They are my favorite thing to freeze because they take so little work...rinse, dry and bag! If I'm really "fancy" I will lay them flat on a cookie sheet and let them freeze first before I bag them. I usually have big bags of blueberries because they're easy to portion out once they are froze. I keep the other berries in smaller bags and use for milkshakes, smoothies, etc.
I don't freeze a lot of vegetables, probably because I really don't like blanching them. I have frozen whole, peeled tomatoes in gallon bags to use for soup and stew later on and have been happy with them that way.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another badge that I am working on is Community Service. I have been sewing for the Dress a Girl program. Do any of you remember reading about it a couple of years back in MJ's magazine? I thought this is right up my alley!!! I had fabric in my stash and lots of buttons and trim to use. I had to order some labels to sew on the dress pockets with the Dress a Girl logo on them. I just love the whole idea of this program!!! Not only are we helping to provide a dress for a girl who wouldn't have one, it also keeps them safe from child trafficking. So far they have delivered more than 1 million dresses to 81 countries! I like to think about where they may end up and what the little girls are like who will receive them. So far I have made 73 dresses, over the past couple of years. I just sent off my second box. I have about 30 more cut out but they will have to wait until after the new year.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  4:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's amazing, Debbie!! How neat!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  5:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Joyce! It's been a very rewarding project!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  5:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more topic that I need to post on today! I just completed applying for my Public Service badges. We are supposed to report to our chapters what we have learned in working on these 3 badges. I think the most important things are to get out and VOTE!!! Every vote is important! Too many people think their votes don't matter, but they do! Also, know what initiatives are on your ballot and study them so you can make an informed choice. If you have the opportunity to listen to candidates speak, go! It's good to know what is going on in your community and at the state and federal levels. I cannot imagine being in public office...no thank you...but we can make informed choices about who is out there speaking for us and the good of our county, state and country.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2018 :  05:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read that when you vote in the mid term elections, your vote is really counted and matters. In the Presidential election the Electorial college chooses.
Debbie, I love the little dresses. I need to make more myself. I'm glad to know there is a place to go with them. About three or four years ago I made about 8 or 9, and finally found a lady who was going on a mission trip. She agreed to take mine along with hers, if I rolled them up, so she could get them in her suit case. I saw her photos on line and spotted some little girls in their new dresses. Pillow case dresses will fit as a dress in summer, then In cooler months they can wear a tee shirt under the dress. Because little girls don't usually grow any bigger around their body, only taller...from age two until about age ten, think of the wear they can get from a small piece of cloth. A dress to wear year round, then a tunic, then a shirt...as they grow taller! please Debbie, direct me to the information, now I am motivated to get busy and make more.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 18 2018 05:25:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2018 :  10:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Marilyn! I really enjoy making them. I agree with you...it takes so little to make a dress for a little girl who will get so much use out of it! I don't know how much call they get for the littlest sizes but I still make them if I have a small piece of fabric. I just can't see wasting a half yard when it could make a little dress.
I went online to the Dress a Girl website. They have a pattern and directions and cutting instructions for all sizes. They also have a list of ambassadors in each state that you can send your finished dresses to and then they forward them ahead to the powers that be. I sent my first box a couple of years ago to the Oregon ambassador but saw that she wasn't listed anymore....or maybe I just couldn't find her. I ended up contacting an ambassador from California, since it was close, and asked her for an address to send them to her. They let me know when they arrived and all was good!
Once you get in the swing of making them, it's kind of hard to stop! They take me about an hour to make each one, start to finish.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2018 :  10:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.dressagirlaroundtheworld.com/

Marilyn, I'm not sure if this link will work, but here is their website!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2018 :  2:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, thank you. The link does work!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2018 :  6:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I might talk with our 4H group and see if some of the kids might want to learn how to sew and make some dresses for that cause... I need to sit down and look at my badges. Right now I am still in the midst of putting food away though, and we are redoing (finally) our drain field for our sewer

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2018 :  7:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you had any snow yet, Shannon???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2018 :  06:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marilyn! We have gotten snow a few times now, but it has only lasted a day or two... It has been a winter tease ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2018 :  2:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good! Snow basically
Means life! Shuts down around here. I'm glad you still have time to get things ready for winter.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2018 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie I checked out that website. What a great cause! I have so much fabric that I have no clue what to do with. A lot of it used to be my moms. I took it when she moved out of her house but now I look around and it's kind of overwhelming. I just went through my whole craft room/office last night rearranging things and dusting and vacuuming. It looks pretty good now but it also unearthed all of my UFO's.

I was in Chicago last weekend for my cousin's wedding on the 20th, and it snowed while we were in the church. That was the first snow I had seen. It's supposed to be mild here tomorrow at least. In the 60's I think. I already feel like I'm cold all the time so I am not really looking forward to winter!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2018 :  6:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have decided I have an obsession with fabric :D

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2018 :  7:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been watching some tutorials by you tube quilters. But because of some other wants and needs, I would not allow myself to buy new fabrics. Then I went "shopping" in my sewing house! Wow! I really don't need to shop for fabric in town. I am making stethoscope covers for Baylee to give her classmates and teachers (for Christmas gifts). All 35 of them.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  1:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I have been working on wrapping up and submitting for some badges. One of the badges I need to apply for is Expert Level for Know your Food. This includes a requirement of sharing with you guys about how our local CSA, Farmers Market, Food Co-op, Natural Market, etc, impact the local economy and my personal health... Many of you are probably aware that are family has health restrictions... between gluten intolerance, dairy allergies, etc. In fact, I was just recently diagnosed with colitis, though they still aren't certain of the cause. My immune system is shot, with my endocrine system being extremely out of whack. So for us, avoiding chemicals and genetically modified foods is critical!

It is also important to s to support our local farmers. As someone who is trying to live as self-sufficient as possible, I want to help the other small farmers that are trying to do the same. It is also a great way to build relationships with our neighbors! The food is higher in nutrients, as it is picked at its ripest point, and not shipped thousands of miles.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, you told me a while back that you grind Elkhorn daily and make bread. Are you making sourdough Elkhorn breads or just Elkhorn bread. After studying several girls on you tube I got brave enough and our house got warm enough to start a new sour dough starter. I started it with bread flour but after three days I switched it to einkorn. I made pancakes and two heavy loaves of 'bread'. Now I'm all out of einkorn, so my sourdough is sleeping in the fridge, until the next grain and flour arrive.
My husband bought me a hand crank Wonder mill for Christmas. That is what I wanted. Now I'm sort of thinking we also need one that is electric after giving his and my shoulders and arms a good workout! Anyway do you have a good bread recipe, that you might share?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Marilyn, we make both einkorn bread and einkorn sourdough bread. To grind the grain, I have a Nutrimill grain mill. Love that thing! One day I need to get a hand crank mill though. Which recipe(s) would you want?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  7:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help with the sourdough bread. The girl I got the recipe from said the batter/dough must rise for 24 hours, then you twist it into, put it in two prepared bread pans and it needs to rise again for four to eight hours. Still my bread or brick is dense and heavy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  8:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be working it too much. I'll send you the recipe in the morning. If I forget, remind me!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Working on Badges, Sharing the Info! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page