notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  05:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi girls! I realized I have not visited at all in over a month. You know, sometimes when you're a farmgirl (even a poor excuse for one as I am) you have to take some time to do actual farmgirl things. That's what I've been trying to do for the last month. I've been working in our garden, which is quite large this year, and really making me nervous for harvest time. I've been planting and weeding. Landscaping and weeding. Harvesting herbs and weeding. We've had 2 baseball leagues going, one of which ended at the beginning of this month. The other will be over the 20th. I've been working on school for next year. One of my homeschool moms had a great idea to have everything printed out and ready to go divided by weeks for the year, and each week put their work in a binder that they need to complete for the week. So that's what I've been working on. That's going well because we're also sharing curriculum so it's saving us money as well. I had a goal to have the books done at the end of June, and I'm probably 3/4 done, so my new goal is July 15th.

I know we've had a number of tragedies happen in the past few months for quite a few members of our little group. Please know you are in my prayers daily. I think life changes combined with the demands and enjoyment of warm weather probably account for the decline in participation lately. I will try to be more present, especially after I reach my homeschool prep goal, and baseball is done.

Happy belated Canada Day, Joyce! Happy Independence Day! I would love to know how everyone is celebrating (or how you celebrated, Joyce) this holiday. I'm going over to my dad and his girlfriends house for a cookout with some other family. It's supposed to be 90-something but they have a pool so it should be fun. I'm making a strawberry shortcake inspired trifle to take over there. With some blueberries thrown in to make it more patriotic-looking.

I hope to hear from some of you soon! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2018 :  06:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Erin - we actually didn't really celebrate Canada Day this year, being that it was Sunday. We went to church, and that was it. It's not really celebrated as much as Independence Day - I used to live in the states and always enjoyed your patriotism. So much more festive than us Canadians, I think.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2018 :  4:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello girls!
I, too, have been absent for weeks and I really have missed all of you! I'm not sure what's been happening exactly....I would say just LIFE in general.
Brad and I have been able to spend the last month at our place in Montana and we finally have to leave tomorrow to get back to reality. I had time to finish some quilting projects and read a few books. The peace and quiet have been so nice and it's good to have some time to recharge before our grass harvest gets underway.
I brought my badge binder with me, thinking that I would have time/take time to get my badges applied for that I have been putting off but I think I was too busy working on other things. I have to be in the right mood to sit down and think and type and make complete sentences...haha!
Joyce, we were in Victoria BC on the Queen's Birthday in May! Everyone was in a festive, party mood! There was also a jazz band competition and about 4 cruise ships coming in each day....lots of people and activity! We have never been there when the weather was so lovely...we've always been in October and it was kind of rainy in the past.
Erin, you sound busy!!! I am envious of your garden. I planted a good size one last year and by the time I got home from Montana, the perslane had taken over...ugh. I spent most of my summer weeding, as well. But I did enjoy all of the tomatoes and watching the plants grow. What all did you plant? Are you planning on canning your harvest?
I hope all of you girls are doing well and have a happy and healthy summer! I will be much more active on here now that I will be home.
Happy 4th, everyone!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9466 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9466 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2018 :  5:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!
Hope you all had a great day today. We celebrated with family. Having a small picnic and then lighting some firecrackers for the grandkids. We missed the big lighting at the high school as they did it midmorning instead of at dusk as other years.
My brother in law and nephew were here visiting as well.
Time for the young to head home so I am taking the evening to work on some cross stitch.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 04 2018 5:24:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2018 :  7:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm home with Rory now. He's asleep and Jason took the other three over to town (less than a mile away) to see fireworks. We had a good time at my dad's house. They swam all day and there was lots of food and socializing.

Joyce, I didn't think about the difference of it being on a Sunday, but I guess that makes sense.

Debbie, I am hoping to can a lot this year. We have lots of tomatoes and peppers, some of which I started in flats, and some we got from Jason's aunt's greenhouse. She gets to a certain point in the season where she doesn't anticipate selling more vegetables and then she lets us have them. We also have potatoes, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, lettuce, beans, cabbage, various squash, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, eggplant, pumpkins, and lots of herbs. I get a little anxious about how I'm supposed to use all of that, but I'm going to try.

Denise, it sounds like you guys had a fun time today and what a relaxing evening! I have quite a few cross stitch projects that could use some attention. You may inspire me to reconnect them! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  06:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all <3 July is certainly coming in hot! We were spoiled for June with cooler temps and rain! It was great for my garden, which will hopefully be really productive. It is showing promise :) I have some radishes that are almost ready to harvest and baby zucchini, as well as lots of green tomatoes and peppers. The turnips are starting to pop up out of the soil so they should be ready soon as well. I harvested my garlic capes a couple weeks ago - three pounds!!! My lettuces will probably be harvested some tonight for dinner - I planted quite a few leaf varieties.

Today we are headed over to SD to my brother's. We are going to go foraging... I know the echinacea is ready... not sure about anything else.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2018 :  04:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon it sounds like your garden will be awesome! We've harvested some radishes and lettuce, but that's all so far.

I started a 5 day fast at 4:00pm on Thursday. I've never fasted before, so this is a new experience for me. Wish me luck! I'm one day down, and feeling pretty good, but from reading about it, the second day, going into the third are supposed to be the worst. Hopefully I can keep myself distracted enough today.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2018 :  08:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other day we harvested some of our garden... radishes, lettuce, peas, and a few hot peppers. I was so very very happy!!! Then yesterday a heat wave came through! Yesterday and today we are flirting with 100. It wouldn't be as bad, except our air conditioner, which we bought last year, doesn't seem to be working!!!

This morning, we found one of our bucklings deceased. We have no clue why or what happened, as we don't see any injuries at all!!! We know it is part of homesteading, but not knowing what happened is hard!!! We aren't sure how to work to prevent it next time!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2018 :  11:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is exciting when you get to harvest from your garden, isn't it? We had some really bad days for a while but the last few have been very nice. We don't have air downstairs in our house, only upstairs so on those 90+ days, it's really bad. At least we can sleep in comfort though!

I'm on day 3 of my water fast (I am having a little black coffee in the morning too), and it's going really well. Much better then I thought it would. Second and third day weren't too bad. I was keeping myself adequately distracted, so hopefully the rest is a breeze. Now I have to go distract myself with Lord of the Rings. :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic July Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page