Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Toasting our toes by the fire~ Jan 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Toasting our toes by the fire~ Jan 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 8

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  07:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy new year to everyone.

Thinking about a new year and all that it may bring.

I gave up making resolutions a long time ago as I learned permanent change comes slowly and usually if I tried to do it all at once it was harder and I would fail. I find for myself it is a learning process and that takes time.

I wish all of you a new year bright with promise and hoping each of you find a new path and a fresh beginning whatever you may do!

I hope we can continue to share our life's adventures here in the hen house as we continue to support and cheer one another on.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  07:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I embrace your hopes and wishes for us.

Like you I no longer make resolutions but I do set a few goals to be achieved during the new year.

I also like to start the new year off right by doing something I have to do - like wet Swifter my floors of Annie's hair - she's a shedder - and do something creative - work on chapter 2 of The Silo Murders.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  07:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Sara. Goals are much better since goals are never set in stones but can be steps to other things.

I still have company so won't be doing much cleaning until after they've gone. Then I will definitely be in cleaning mode.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year everyone!

I agree, also, Sara. I need to be more organized this year, especially since Ed keeps bring more of his stuff into my house. I am also determined to get his house fixed up - right now, I will not stay there. It needs a lot of work. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  2:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wishing all of you a Happy New Year! This year has started with me cleaning out my kitchen cabinets and putting down contact paper... it will probably take me a few days as I am doing it between Jenni nursing :) Praying everyone has a HEALTHY New Year!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  05:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Shannon. You amaze me about what you do.

Today is trash day but it's also 15 degrees so I will have to make a mad dash to the curb and back. I will leave the door to the carport opened since I have a fear of being locked out in freezing weather. I know it's a quirk of mine but I guess we all have them about something. If you feel like sharing - what are your quirks?

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  06:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I used to take my keys with me when I'd go out to get the mail or feed the hens. My dog actually locked the door on me one day. Fortunately it was summertime and I was able to call JT who had just left to take the kids to piano lessons. I don't have a dog that can reach the door knob anymore so now I don't bother.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 02 2018 07:00:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  07:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sara <3 It's funny, because I feel so unproductive most of the time!!! I have so many quirks, I don't know where to start! I am semi-OCD about organization... My DVDs are in alphabetical order. My bookshelves are organized by subject... I have a shelf for Science, a few for Geography etc. My cookbooks are also organized... all my foreign cuisine are on one shelf, I have another shelf for gf, another for special cooking methods, etc. The funny thing about all of this, is I tend towards being more of a disorganized messy house than neat and tidy! Things get out of order, and I reorganize!

Today we start school back up. I love how eager the kids are to get back into it! It is only 8 here and many of the kids have already started! I also want to work more on my kitchen, going through things, organizing, and putting contact paper on the shelves. Basically deep cleaning it :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  07:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I'm afraid my collection of books and magazines would drive you up a wall. I have a 6' garden bench in the center of my living/sitting room where I keep gardening books on one end and cookbooks on the other. They meet somewhere in the middle. Underneath are my magazines separated in baskets but not by date.

By my rocker I have two footstools that hold my canning, drying, and fermenting books. Current mag & book of any topic I am reading are on top of the stacks. My Bible is on one end. I find it comforting to have my books around me - others may find it a little on the chaotic side.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  07:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I have thought about carrying house key with me but I like knowing if I fall I can still get in the house. It all started when I fed and watered my goats before going to work. I would have to walk to the goat shed at back of double lot in snow or on ice. Never shook that feeling.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  07:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon,
You sound like me with the OCD. I am constantly organizing. Books are alphabetical unless they are a series. A lot of mine are so they are in that order. The kids books are by size. Lol. Dvds are alphabetical by genre. But I also seem to have clutter which drives me crazy but I am my own worst enemy when it comes to that.

Sara, your comment about your books driving Shannon up the wall made me think of my son when he was young. He is the youngest and only son and his sisters used to tease him all the time. I would constantly be telling them to stop. They pushed me one day a little far and and I told them they were going to drive me up the wall. Well he was about 3 or 4 and without missing a beat he said,"I'd like to see that". Back then everthing was pretty much literal to him. Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  07:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny. Out of the mouths of babes.

After years of having at least one room in my house that was a catch all I promised myself when I moved to Paris six years ago I wouldn't do that in my smaller house. It helped that I moved with less stuff. So far my house is fairly neat in each room. Can't say the same for the small enamel top kitchen table I use for as computer table. I tend to nest where I work.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  08:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figure I'll just keep at it. Need to have 2 more people move out and I'll be good. Well, then I'll be able to organize and things will go to their rightful places.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hauled off three boxes today to the Goodwill store. Over the weekend, I went into my kitchen and cleaned up drawers, organized what goes where and wiped down the shelf paper. There will most likely be more when I take my tree down sometime this week and hopefully get into the closets again. Warren is a keeper so his stuff is off limits to my clean up frenzies!! LOL!! That being said, when I get the rest of the house better organized , it feels so much better when things have a place and are actually being used. I also have a small pile of stuff to post on Ebay this week. As I organize, I am seeing that some deep cleaning is in need so I will try and work on that room by room when I can. Always something that needs attention in a home.

On another note, this area of Florida might see some sleet or snow flurries early tomorrow am . We might be just below that line and end up with rain, but I am hoping for a little bit of snow falling just for the fun of it!! The past few Winters have been so warm and sleet/snow flurries is a rare event in this part of the US!! What is also unusual is that we have been having daytime temps in the 40s and that will continue a few more days with some hard freezes for Wednesday and Thursday. I am taking it all in with gratitude because this past Summer was so hot and miserable for months! It has been a long time since we had a week's forecast with this kind of cold weather. What a gift to this Farmgirl!!

Stay warm everyone and make yummy hot and comforting things to eat!!!

Shannon, so good to hear from you again!! I am glad you are finally feeling better and able to get back into your home schooling and other interests!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  06:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
You have been busy! I am putting away the Christmas things. I didn't put much out so it shouldn't take long except for the tree and ornaments. They always take the longest to put away. Jbear takes care of the tree and I mostly do the rest, then he and JT take everything back to the basement.

Winnie, enjoy the cool winter weather!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  08:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the 3rd of Jan already - this year is rolling along. Seems like the older I get the faster the years go by. My days feel the same but time is pushing the weeks, months, and years along faster than when I remember as a kid I thought Christmas would never come and summers would never end.

Tackled cleaning bathrooms today but fatigued hit before I finished. Will have to pick it up another day.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  4:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New year! I just try and set a few goals for myself also. I still have my Christmas tree up! I am a little organized, not enough time and energy to keep my whole house that way anymore.
Sara, I love how you have your books stored! Sounds cozy! Oh Yes! When we were kids Christmas seemed like it was never coming back!
Shannon, I wish I had some of your energy for a day!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  6:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My ladder tree is up still because my son and his family aren't celebrating Christmas until after January 13. As soon as our under 30 degree days end, I will take all the Christmas soft goods (quilts, pillows, wall hangings, tree skirt, and chair covers out to the my craft house for their storage boxes. It is too COLD right now. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  06:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had our first real hard frost last night when it got down to 22 degrees!! There was a thick white blanket on the grass and our birdbath was frozen solid. I typically leave my tree up through Epiphany on January 6 and this year, with the arrival of real cold weather, it NOW feels more like Christmas weather. Last night I was knitting and drinking hot tea by our fire in the fireplace and it was such a welcomed change. Ou know me......come August, I will be whining full time about the awful heat and humidity and wanting Fall to come soon!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  07:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie drinking hot tea by a fire sounds nice.

Linda I know what you mean about carrying things outside. Yesterday I took 8 canning jars to the Yellow Rose Cottage to get them off my kitchen table. It was close to 25 degrees inside the cottage to the 38 outside. When I take something to the cottage I usually stay awhile and look around making sure everything is okay and no varmint has gotten in but yesterday I just put the jars in their places and got back inside where it was warm.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  07:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, sitting by the fire and enjoying it while you can sounds wonderful. Especially with a cup and knitting needles!

It's definitely a toasting our toes kind of day. The wind is blowing and you can barely see anything but white out there. The only vehicle I hear is the snowplow. It just keep drifting back over the roads.

So I am getting some paperwork done' organizing my desk and keeping warm. There is a constant cup of something hot nearby. I prefer this weather to summer's heat as long as I don't have to go out in it.

The hens are all warm, dry and fed so they are good. Tyebee did not like going out this morning but I put his coat on him and he was a trooper. He didn't waste anytime though and now he is on the rug in front of the fire.

Hope everyone is staying warm where ever you may be.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 04 2018 07:44:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  07:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just got back inside this morning from chopping ice around the edge of the pond in a couple places so the horses could get to the water. We had to do it yesterday, too. And yesterday my outside faucet was frozen, but this morning the water is running again - I guess the 40 degrees we hit yesterday helped.

Some sad news: yesterday one of my two white ducks was gone - probably due to a predator. He was always the more aggressive of the two, and the protector. The other duck has never been one to come up to me, and since it was alone, it was worse and I had to take the cracked corn to it. I could not get near it to catch it to secure it in the barn and today, the second duck is gone, too. We think it was either a bobcat or a coyote; a bobcat has been seen around here. the duck MAY be hiding somewhere, but I really don't think so. Losing farm animals is so sad

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  07:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
Sorry about your ducks. I agree losing the animals is sad. I really hate when something happens to one of the hens. We do so much to keep them healthy and well cared for and then something happens.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 04 2018 07:56:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  6:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I feel for you, breaking water for critters. I spent years and years doing that. This year my son and husband took care of that...this time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  4:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is so sad about your little duck, Linda! We had to break ice in the birdbath two mornings this week. Brrrr, for us down in Florida. Despite the fact that we covered our tender plants with flowers, the long hours in the 20s meant a hard freeze and they all were zapped. There is a possibility that the roots are still healthy and the plants will make a come back later this spring after we cut them back.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  8:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone sure keeps busy. It's nice to read about each other's days.

As for sorting and organizing, I like clutter in its place lol... does that make sense? My house is over flowing with things we ended up with from a friend passing and both of our sets of parents passing. A new and used book store near me moved into a very large building. They have so much room that they decided to rent spaces on a monthly basis for people to sell Handmade Items and Collectibles. My daughter and are sharing a booth and finally I have a place to sell some of the items we inherited or kept through the years. There comes a time when a person needs to part with things from days gone by.

I kept baby items such as the baby carriage that can become a bassinet or a cradle. The base can also become a stroller by replacing the bed part with a chair that slides onto the base. Take the chair off and slide it on to a rocker base and it becomes a child's rocker. The same rocker base makes The carriage bed into a cradle. The chair also slides into a slot under the top of a table to become a high chair. Take the chair out of the slot in the table and put it on the floor and you have a table and chair set. It really is a great outfit, but kind of large and awkward for today's world. Trunks aren't as big as they used to be. I have an oak high chair and a wooden cradle. Since there aren't any grandchildren to pass these things on to, its time to sell them and make a few dollars for us. Besides with the price of postage going up again I will need the money to keep doing Swaps, Barters, etc with my Farm Sisters.

We have donated lots through the years. My husband one day said to me "How come we keep giving things away, but others want us to pay them for their things?" Such as giving a friend's son our basketball pole and hoop for their children. I laughed and said I guess we are just foolish people.

As for the weather, people are getting tired of the extreme cold this winter. I choose to just accept it. After all I do live in Michigan. It does get cold and snow every winter lol... no different then the heat of the summer. Can't change it. I found a little card today among some items my daughter was sorting. "This day was personally and lovingly planned for you by the Lord. Guess that includes the weather. Lol

Sorry about your ducks Linda. Pets are so loved. Its sad to lose them.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Jan 06 2018 8:04:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Toasting our toes by the fire~ Jan 2018 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page