Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  06:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My good friend here in town, who hosts our knitting group, is going to Mozambique in March to visit her son and family who are living there. Her son is working on a PhD in Public Health and doing some fieldwork in Mozambique on Malaria. About two weeks ago, his wife, who was part of our knitting group while they lived here, asked if anyone could make some dolls for a pre-school where she is volunteering with their 18 month old daughter. She said that Mozambique is very poor and that the school has few resources for the children to play with. My friend is only able to take a small suitcase because it must be able to fit in the overhead bins. It will take her 4 different connecting flights for 39 hours to get from the US to her son in Mozambique. I have been mulling over what I could make that would be washable and easy to pack and here is what I came up with. I took a stuffed gingerbread doll, traced around it for a general form, made some changes and created my pattern. Secondly, I remember my mother sewing dolls for pediatric patients at our local hospital and they were cut with pinking shears and simply sewn together and stuffed. With some muslim fabric and bright fabric and rickrack, I created a sort of apron skirt. I also have this little box of buttons from my mom who loved to make clothes for babies and children. The little strawberry buttons made perfect hearts for the dolls. As you can see, I kept the faces simple with colorful button eyes.. Voila! The Girls for Mozambique Project are ready for departure and travel on March 15. This little project was so much fun for me because it was a total distraction that took about 4 hours. It felt good to do something for some children on the other side of the world who have so little and whose future could be very limited and diminished. Education is the key and hopefully getting an early start in a pre-school will yield opportunities for work and a middle class life out of poverty. I really hope the girls love their new little dolls to play with!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  06:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I commented on the main forum, but I will here as well... I think those dolls are exceptional! They come from the heart!!!! I think it would be neat if a group of Farmgirls were able to work together and get a box of a given project ready to send overseas. We are so blessed!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  09:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love those dolls Winnie. They are sew cute!!!

Great idea, Shannon

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  11:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So cute and what a great gift for the little ones.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  1:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sweet and cute, I am sure they will love them.

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  3:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are sweet dolls Winnie something the little ones will love to cuddle and play with. Very nice.

hugs and love
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9578 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9578 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  3:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh those are adorable Winnie. What a great thing to do!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  6:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Those dolls are adorable, and I know the children receiving them will be thrilled! We have so much here to be thankful for. Thanks for sharing out of your sweet heart!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2017 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie they will love your dolls.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  06:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sherry and Shannon mentioned about doing more of this project and here is what I know. Mailing anything to countries like Mozambique is difficult and expensive because they do not have a well functioning mail service. Also, many packages are never received and are confiscated by others. So, there is no way to do more for this particular project because my friend cannot carry anything more and also her family will be leaving by the end of May when the field work is completed. As I understand it, mailing to places like Mozambique are best accomplished by sending the items with someone who is going there and who has control over their luggage.

Thank-you for all of your sweet comments and I too hope that the dolls will be a success.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  11:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, the dolls are adorable! Thank you for sharing!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adorable Dolls Winnie! When my son went on a missions trip to Jamaica, they had the same problem with mailing packages. Each of the kids in the group was given one empty suitcase. They filled them with items either from the school lost and found or donated items. They took everything from clothing to tools dishes etc. They were also told that whatever was in their suitcase was theirs to donate when they got to their destination. In the mean time when they went through customs, they could honestly say the items were theirs and they were allowed to take them with them.

If the things were mailed, they would have been taken and put on the black market. Plus the expense of mailing would have been very high. It's too bad it is so difficult to get needed items to needy areas of the world.

We sent a package to Zambia for Missionaries. We put in about 8 hymnals and a few things for the children. It cost $50 and took 3 months to reach it's destination. We new it wasn't guaranteed to reach them, but it did. We trusted God to get it there.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Dolls for Mozambique Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page