Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 5

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  09:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that fleece on line by accident and I bought 8 yards. big buy for me, and they are out of stock on that one.
my friend bought enough from me to make her a blanket someday. She loves cats.
Thank you.
We had a big rocking earthquake today but 6.5 but not that bad. still scarey though. all is good.

hugs everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  10:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Darlene -
There have been a lot of earthquakes lately - all over the US and world. Take care!

Today my new refrigerator was delivered. They scratched one of the doors - so they need to bring a new door on Dec 15. That means I have to stay home - again!

Anyway - my house is a disaster. Food from the refrigerator is in boxes all over the counter and floor, and I'm still making gifts and trying to decorate, so the dining room is covered in fabric and boxes of decorations. Here are pictures to show what I now have to clean up.

Anone want to come and help me? LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 08 2016 10:52:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  11:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I can't be there in person but I'll be with you in spirit urging you on.

Like your new fridge. Let me know how you like the bottom freezer?

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  11:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice refrigerator Linda!
Have a good day!
Yes I know about all those earthquakes, I just don't enjoy feeling the big ones. I found a site that shows them instantly and all over the world. It is fascinating how much Earth moves around constantly.
Well have a good day.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  2:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, that is a very nice new fridge! I hope the door comes sooner so you can get your kitchen back together again. It is hard waiting so long for such a big and important item.

Did anyone see the gift tags in our December MJF magazine? they are on page 87. Today I decoupaged them to card stock and then cut them out. They turned out so cute and I can't wait to use them. Take a look if you haven't already done so.

Next, I baked up some salt dough gingers at 325 degrees for one hour. All the cinnamon, clove and allspice scent baked out of them but I have some essential oil that I can put on their backside to keep them fragrant. I plan to use the small ones on a few packages and the larger ones in a basket with some greenery for the kitchen. So easy. The usual applesauce and cinnamon recipe falls apart down here in the Florida humidity. They literally break through the string because they absorb the moisture in the air. While they smell awesome, they won't last and even mildew on me. So frustrating! I have used salt dough in the past and wanted to try it out again and see if the same thing happens. I might have to spray them with a light varnish and forgo the scent part.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  3:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - what is your recipe for the salt dough ornaments? Next week we will be making applesauce cinnamon ornaments :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, the recipe is a 4:1 ratio of flour to salt. Add as much warm water as needed to for a soft and pliable dough that is not sticky. You can add whatever spices you like but the smell bakes out of them in the over. Bake your salt dough ornaments at 325 for one hour or until dry. You could also add food coloring to the dough in stead of spices to make it colorful. You can also paint the ornaments with acrylic paint after they are baked and cooled.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  7:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your tags Winnie and the gingerbread people are adorable.
My mom made me a salt dough tiny loaf of bread and varnished it and put it on a little board to hang up. I had it hanging here for years and one year was a wet year it it got soft and fell off. she lived in Colorado where it was dryer. Not so much here. I loved that little loaf of bread.
Have fun with it.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  7:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie - I can use the refrigerator now - thank goodness. All they will replace on the 15th is the left side door. I love the refrigerator, but I need to learn how to load it. It is so different from my old one. LOL! I oo bad the scent bakes out of them.

Sara - My mother had a bottom freezer for a long time and I had one too but a long time ago. I loved it then; hope I do now. LOL

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  9:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I am glad your fridge arrived.
Darlene, I think about you all the time, out there with the shaking ground. Be safe.
Have any of you made the cinnamon and white Elmer's glue ornaments? They air dry. Easy and most teachers used to make them with their classes. Also you can add alum to your salt and flour clay, air dry. The alum prevents the sour/mildew smell. That was the one I used when teaching Art.
I finally finished the little quilt...It covered the top of a full zed bed. The four y ear old class colored pictures of cute little kids. Teacher ironed the pictures on to fabric and it was my job to put it together and machine quilt it. It was a bigger job than I had bargained for. But it is finished, and the bag is also finished to put it in. As an after thought t he director said the bag was needed because the quilt will be going home with each child, before it is sold to the highest bidder. The proceeds go for new toys, puzzles, etc. For the classroom.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  04:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is some fridge Linda!!!

Those tags! I must have missed those. Thanks Winnie.

I saw you post on FB about the earthquakes, Darlene. That would be so scary. We get, maybe, one every couple of years that we can feel.

I know some of you have seen that I am having a giveaway on my blog/ FB. And more importantly, after a lot of prayer and a push from a new "friend", I have set a challenge for myself. The kids and I will be moving to our farm in April. I need all the support and encouragement I can get. Being an hour and half away from Matt, without electric, running water, etc...and 2 little boys are a super trying is a bit scary. But I rally feel like God is pushing me in this direction. Things will never get worked on like they need to be at the farm if no one is ever there.

Please follow my blog! https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/whoa-i-need-something-to-hold-on-to/

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  06:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Last night, when I got home from quilt guild my house was at 67 degrees, even though the thermostat is set for 70 or 72. The thermostat said AUX HT, and I called Ed to see what that meant. He thinks I may have a Heat Pump that is used a lot in Texas and he says they don't work as well in cold cold temps, and it was mid 20s this morning. This morning after running all night (with me under an electric blanket because Ed wasn't here) the house is 62 degrees. He will check it tonight when we get home from his son's house - they are having a birthday dinner for Ed (b'day was Wed). I have turned the oven on to self-clean to help heat the house. (It needed it anyway). And until I shower to leave for Bunko this afternoon I am in PJs, long robe, and fur lined boots to keep warm. BRRRRRRRRR!

Today I am making Ed 2 Christmas print scrubs caps to go with the suspenders and tie the other nurses gave him for his birthday. Aren't selfies terrible - I never get a good expression for me when I try a selfie. LOL! He has the teddy bear cap I made for him - today he's working with kids. LOL!

He assists with a lot of kids, and he can cheer them up better than all the other nurses. The kids love him!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, the kids must love to see Ed come into their rooms.

I have a heat pump that keeps my house warm no matter how low. But, it is a small house with 7' ceilings in the four original rooms & bath. The new addition of walk-in closet, bathroom, and laundry have 8" ceilings. This is my first experience with a heat pump. Another thing that helps keep my house warm is all rooms including big closet and both baths have vents in the ceiling. I set my temperature on 68 last night and haven't changed it this morning. Having the oven on helps.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  09:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What a great quilt idea, Marilyn. Can you please show us a picture?

What is the recipe for the ornaments with Elmer's glue? Would you please share?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  4:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, as an old Operating room nurse, I love Ed's holiday attire!! Patients get a kick out of their nurses being festive despite where they are. I think it helps patient morale when they are not looking forward to having an operation or being in the hospital during the holidays.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2016 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I wish I could help ! Love the Fridge!! You got Ed looking stylish and fun for work!!
Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2016 :  3:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When our sofa was delivered the back was damaged. It seems like it took forever for them to deliver another one. I am so sorry for your inconvenience Linda. Especially at this time of year.
Winnie, your decorations are wonderful.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2016 :  9:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a really great day today! A neighbor of mine invited me and some other of her friends and family to go to a play in Ferndale of Peanuts Christmas, We were lucky and got to see the kids do the play. They did so well! the little one who was Snoopy did such a good job. She made a great Snoopy, and Lucy was perfect for the part. It was great and the best part is they didn't leave anything out including where Linus said the Christmas story from the Bible. It was wonderful and the girl who is in high school who was with us won the raffle of a Charlie Brown Shirt. what was best was my friend just prayed that she would win seconds before they drew the ticket. It was good because she had never seen the Peanut's movies before and her mother is really ill with Cancer.
And yesterday morning I went to take a shower and had no hot water, I didn't know it but it was an easy fix but I couldn't see the button that well and my neighbor across the street who is a plumber came over and found it wasn't a pilot light problem, just got turned down, but I did have a toilet problem and he took the toilet apart and cleaned it and changed parts in and reamed it. and did not charge a thing for all that. What can you give a family for something like that. Any suggestions. I have been blessed today.
Have a great Sunday
hugs and love

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2016 :  9:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, you were truly blessed. Perhaps you could make dinner for them one evening and take it over as they come home from work.
My bunch loves Broccoli Cheese Soup. Last Monday I made a pot of it. They only had to heat it up and have supper. It was cool and since they had spent Sunday afternoon doing outside clean up, cutting back overgrowth, at our house...it was my offering.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, first how fun! The Peanuts play!
Then Bless your heart!
I agree with Marilyn, Food!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  10:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know a recipe for potato and leek soup?

Thanks for the idea Marilyn.
It was fun a fun play Connie and it was so good for those kids I think because the little guy who played Linus and the part he played. I guess that they do two different groups for Peanuts and the other group are more like high school kids. Just wouldn't be the same. The didn't have Peppermint patti though and the other one I can't remember. I don't think they had that big a part in it anyway. but it was better with the younger ones doing it.
I am going to go to Washington next week so I will make them something when I get back. Broccoli and cheese soup sounds good.
We shall see. Thanks everyone.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  02:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I looked through all my cookbooks and found one recipe in "Scandinavian Cooking Classics". My vision is such today it would take me too long to post it. I can copy it on my printer and mail it out today.

I make potato & leek soup by sautéing thinly sliced leeks in a little butter and adding to my regular potato soup.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  05:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Darlene -
I looked in my Finnish Cookbook and found a soup with dill weed and Swiss cheese, but not with leeks. There are a lot of Potato Leek soups if you google.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda I will look it up..
Dill weed and Swiss, that is different.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  1:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, All Recipes.com has some Potato Leek Soup recipes. I love this web site, because you can compare the different recipes, and tweek to your liking.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page