Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas! Next Topic
Page: of 3

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  06:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Winnie, it brings back so many memories! It's beautiful! Thank you for bringing it out and allowing us to share your village!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  06:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love that Santa Christmas Club box, Connie. You find the greatest stuff!

You are getting me psyched to get rid of some of my Christmas stuff and find all vintage on eBay or in thrift shops and resale shops. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  10:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie!!!!!!!!! I'm so in Love!!Love, love ,love ,your Santas and Christmas houses!! That's the kind of houses in my Granny's village, My Aunt Judy has them now, I had to stop a family feud by sharing them!!

Linda, thanks! Just start mixing it in. That's what I did in the 1980's I already had my Granny's Christmas village, Nativity and I use to get old stuff at Garage sales, before the internet and Ebay. Not a lot of people wanted Vintage in the 1980's. When I was working as a hairdresser, customers would find out I like 1950's- 1960's stuff and they would bring it to me! and they would call me and tell me they saw it at the junk stores near downtown Memphis, back then there were no Antiques-Junk malls like the suburbs have today. I drove some miles back then to get stuff! I bought my wooden Ironing board for $10.00 at a Garage sale about 1978. Some of my friends and family would come to my house and say, why you want all that old junk for? I read country Living magazine in the late 1970's, I fell in love with the farmhouse look! Most of my stuff I have had for years. If I find something good, I will pick it up, because of Ebay and American Pickers, Garage sales have little vintage anymore. At least in my area they don't.
On ebay, buy vintage Christmas in the spring and summer, great prices! I like odd stuff, like the Christmas club bank!

My hubby is a smart man! he gives me Ebay gift certificates for Christmas, anniversary, birthdays! I have found cool stuff for under $ 10.00 on Ebay including shipping, way cheaper than the junk stores in a lot of cases! Don't bid on it till right before it ends, people just drive up the price for 5 days. That way if it's already out of what I want to pay, I just pass on it.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  10:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You are so right that Garage Sales don't have vintage. I wish they did. However, I've found that estate sales and thrift/resale shops in the country often have a treasure or two.

I peruse eBay too often sometimes. LOL! And, like you, I never bid until the last day. I also learned to not bid in whole dollars. Adding pennies to a bid can sometimes trump an even-dollar bid at the end.

I need to look through my older Christmas stuff and see what I have forgotten about.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 05 2016 10:38:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  10:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ebay also has Tags to hang on your tree, the bank gave you when you open up your Christmas Club, they have quite a few of those listed, I have one of those. Where they list make best offer, do it, I got a lot of my offers accepted. I do small purchases, I am not a big spender , my purchases are always from 10 to 25.00. I gotta get moving and get my Christmas tree up, I am slower than Christmas this year!! LOL!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  10:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Linda, here is one of the Ornament tags the banks would give to remind you to save!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  1:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a Christmas true story to tell. On Saturday after Thanksgiving, my husband, Hadlee and her mom went to buy Christmas trees. The girl had sliced off the bottom and when it came home we put it in the stand, as they did theirs, with water. I noticed two things, the limbs did not relax and the tree did not drink. Finally a week later I decorated it...but each time I touched it more and more the green puddle on my floor grew. The trees needles were coming off dramatically. On Sunday at dinner I asked my son to put the angel on top of the tree. He said, "Mom, your tree is a fire hazard!" Next Julie and Hadlee checked it out. They took the few ornaments and lights off, and moved the tree outside. Another huge pile of needles was swept up, but this time they were put into a brown paper bag rather than the trash. I called the store, asked my husband for the receipt and Hadlee drove me to get a refund. Then she and my husband drove to Home Depot for another tree. Now it's branches are relaxing as it sips water. Now I will decorate again. I have had live trees for my whole life but never one that shed like that one, one week after it came home.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 05 2016 1:12:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  2:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, seems like they may have grabbed a tree that had been cut for months and not meant to be in that stack of live trees!
I love live trees!! Mostly all we have ever had.
I have the Hobby Lobby one up this year, well if I ever get it finished!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  3:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadlee said we had a Charlie Brown tree. That is how bad it was. The new one seems much fresher.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  3:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We always had a live tree growing up, but as I grew older, my allergies always got worse around Christmas. I got a fake tree one year ad had no allergies, so have had very few live trees since. I am thinking that I might get one next year, though. I really miss a live tree.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6090 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6090 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live trees have a wonderful smell. maybe they could de bugged and dusted before it comes into the house.
I heard that they shake them to get bugs out.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  4:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a Christmas tree farm near here for a few years. When the girls were young we would go on a great adventure to get our trees. Hot chocolate followed in the gift shop while the trees were shaken and bagged. We did get bitty spiders. We did spray them after we knew. Those trees were still so pretty on Dec. 26th, that I hated to throw them out. So I left the stand attached, hung Apple's, peanut butter pine cones, etc so the birds were fed.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  8:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always got a doll for
Christmas. Usually home-made. An orange and nuts. I was adopted and an only child. We didn't always have a tree and there wasn't much celebration.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  8:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always got a doll for
Christmas. Usually home-made. An orange and nuts. I was adopted and an only child. We didn't always have a tree and there wasn't much celebration.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9580 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9580 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  03:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always had a live tree when I was growing up but when I got married we were in the military and stationed in Hawaii. Though they did ship them in there they didn't last long so we purchased a fake one. When we finally settled here we bought a pre-lit one. Though I love the smell of fresh cut they have gotten very expensive and this way there is no messing with the lights and all the mess of water and needles.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  4:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love live tress and we had them our first 35 Christmases. I like the artificial one cause I leave mine up till almost the end of January. January is so gloomy, the trees are bare,and since we are in the country, my neighbors say they like seeing the lights in the window. We take down all outside lights and nativity by January 5th, unless the weather is bad. I take my time putting away the inside stuff.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9580 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9580 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  6:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So nice to to read all the childhood stories and such. We didn't have a lot growing up but I was the baby and since I came along a bit later in life I think my parents were a little better off than when my sister and oldest brother were young. Mom worked when I was small and my aunts looked after me. Dad had a job in a knitting mill and mom was a seamstress in another section of the fabric mill where she sewed ladies undergarments. Neither made much but they always got by. Mom made clothes for us for Christmas and we usually got one toy.
I remember when I was older maybe 11, my two older siblings were away from home and married by then, my brother and I got bikes from Western Auto for our birthdays. His was Jan. 1st and mine in Feb. So when spring came dad brought them home for us. We always figured if there was something we were hoping for at Christmas and Santa didn't bring it then there might be a chance we could get it for our birthday. Lol.
I miss those simple Christmases were the family would all go around visiting. Dad had 9 bro. and sisters so there was always a lot of visiting going on at the holiday. Most of those siblings lived within a couple miles of us in one direction or the other. Family is scarce here because this is not home to either of us after 26 yrs.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 07 2016 6:46:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  6:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, love your memory! My Granny's family was big too! I miss those family gatherings!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  7:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I enjoyed your story. It is amazing to me how many older couples move "back home" to be near family and more familiar surrounding. Of course now that kids are waiting to have their children, older grandparents are moving to be close to the wee ones too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  8:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I also loved visiting and visitors. We always went to my paternal grandparents in Chicago on Christmas Eve. We usually didn't see my maternal grandparents at Christmas, because they lived about 130 miles away. On Christmas Day we always went to my aunt and uncles house and saw 2 of my cousins. Then we always visited a couple sets of godparents. Other cousins and grandparents we saw during the year, but not at Christmas.

As long as I can remember we lived in a suburb of Chicago. We were not poor; we always had food and clothes. My mother made a lot of my clothes; I think me and my next brother always had newer clothes (not expensive); my younger brother and sister got the hand-me-downs, though my sister was 8 years younger than I, so styles changed and she got newer. Both my parent were college graduates, and had both been civilian Air Force employees right out of college. Dad taught airplane mechanics, and my mother was in the base personnel office; that's how they met - she picked him out from his picture when he was hired on. LOL! After the Air Force, my father was a mechanical engineer and was always working. My mother worked until I came along, and she started working again when my sister was 5 and went to Kindergarten. Though my father changed employers at least 3 times that I know of, he always had a job.

I love hearing everyone else's stories of Christmas. And throughout the year their stories of farm life for some. I always thought I'd love living in a small town or on a farm - now I am doing both.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  05:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a big family, my aunt and uncle always came, plus my grandparents lived with us, and I remember always having a house full of people at Christmas. We never put up our tree until December 24 and then it was magical on Christmas morning with stockings bulging on the fireplace and presents under the tree. Each child was allowed to ask Santa for 3 things. Depending on what each cost, Santa tried to bring one or two of the list. Santa presents were always unwrapped under the tree too. Because there were so many of us in the house, each person only got a few gifts but we were all giddy with excitement over what we did have. My Mom loved Christmas and she was really the mastermind behind the blessings. Prior to Christmas she made lots of cookies that were stored in tins to begin enjoying on Christmas day. My Dad always cooked the Christmas turkey dinner as well and we all loved that meal. Having all those cookies and a delicious dinner was a highlight of the day for all of us!

My Dad played the organ at our church and when Christmas Day landed on a Sunday, we were not allowed to open our gifts until after church AND AFTER LUNCH!!! We could open our stockings and we would see the toy that Santa left but everything else had to wait until we finished lunch. What that meant was that we started opening presents about 2-2:30pm in the afternoon!! Of course we all complained and petitioned to change the rules, but Mom and Dad refused and always told us it just made Christmas excitement last longer. HRUMPHHH!! is what we kids would say, but you know what? My parents were totally right! It really did make Christmas Day last longer and be a special day long event for the family including being at church first.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  06:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We only got 3 presents each, also And Santa's was always unwrapped. And, like you, if Christmas was on a Sunday we had to go to church, and I can't remember if we opened them first or after, but probably after. Except we could see our Santa present, since it was unwrapped.

Christmas dinner was always at my aunt and uncle's house, but one Christmas mom got a call early in the morning. My aunt had gone into labor when she was starting to prepare the turkey and he had taken her to the hospital and they said her labor would be awhile. The turkey was already in the oven, but my uncle was taking it out and bringing all the partially prepared Christmas dinner foods to our house. Mom preheated the oven, made us all clean the house better (since we hadn't expected to have company), and we had a houseful of company that afternoon. My mother had to go to the neighbor's house and borrow one of their ovens because the dinner needed 2 ovens and we had only one. It was a special Christmas, since I had a new cousin. And after being a hurried morning, we had a great day with everyone.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 08 2016 06:58:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  07:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growing up, my grandmother, and two sets of aunts, uncles, and cousins, along with us, lived on connecting 10-15 acres (I don't remember exactly how many everyone had. My parents had three acres, and everyone else had more!), and my other aunt, uncle, and cousins on that side of the family lived maybe ten minutes away. First thing in the morning was just our family... there were five of us children. We would see what Santa brought (always unwrapped) and then would exchange the gifts we made for one another (One year I got the crazy idea to make a tissue holder out of construction paper and emptied tissue boxes out of the house to put them in the holders I made each person, lol). For breakfast we always had a casserole of bread on the bottom, then eggs on top, with some type of breakfast meat on top of that, baked. Once we cleaned up for breakfast, we would go to whoever's house was having Christmas that year (unless it was our turn). We alternated houses each year, with exception of my grandmother, so every four years it was at my parents. For me, that was the best part of Christmas. Though we all lived close to one another, the only time we ever got together as a big family was on Christmas. There was never any fighting or arguing between the adults, because they respected my grandmother too much. I absolutely loved those times of gathering together!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  4:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
I have a few minutes and thought I'd check in and see what you are all up to. This Thread is Great! Since I have been so busy with my Mom's Estate, we haven't had time to get out any decorations or do hardly any Christmas shopping. Amazon here I come. lol! Money will work well too.

Thanks to my Farm Sisters I do have ornaments hanging around the house from Swaps.

Love seeing all the pictures and reading the stories that have been posted. When my brothers and sisters and I were kids, my parents would pack up all the Christmas gifts and put us in the car around 11pm and take off for a twelve to fourteen hour drive to Grandma and Grandpa's house. With five kids it was easier to travel with us all sleeping. It was wonderful! Dad made a bed for us in the back seat by putting a plywood support between the back seat and the front seat to make more room for us to lay down. It filled up the space where our legs and feet would have been. No way would anyone get away with that today. We all survived with out seat belts in those days. Almost two weeks away from school. Yay!!

We only had one cousin there, but the six of us had a ball. Everyone all crowded in a tiny house, but very happy. Grandma wouldn't let any of us kids sleep on the floor. We slept in the living room with chairs pushed together and at least two on the couch. One on a little settee. On anything except the floor. Lol. I sure miss those days.

Grandpa and my Aunts and Uncles would sit around the kerosene stove in the living room and play guitars and banjos and sing. Lots of stories were told. We got to stay up late because after all we slept in the same room. The food, Oh my!! We gained weight every time we went to there no matter what time of the year.

At least it looks like we will have snow for Christmas this year. Doesn't seem like Christmas without snow.

Have a very Merry Christmas Ladies.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6090 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6090 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  7:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What nice memories you have Brenda. you have a Merry Christmas too.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page