Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 6

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2016 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

Goodness, October already. Fall is really getting settled in. Our trees have started to turn their magnificent colours. It's a tad late for us, most probably due to the mild summer we've had.

Halloween will be here in no time. I love Halloween. Nothing gory for me; I like a fun Halloween! (We need a witch icon) For the first time ever, I will not be home on October 31 to distribute the treats. Fall market in Houston takes place on that weekend. So on that eve I will most probably be up in the air on my way home! Hopefully no tricks while on flight!

I do enjoy fall market in Houston. Ok, I will make a confession, the Mexican food and margaritas do enhance my experience! lol A weekend all about fabric and Mexican food .... what's not to love! lol

Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Oct 01 2016 06:44:13 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2016 :  07:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, enjoy planning for your trip to Houston. If you have a chance take a run down to Galveston - one of my favorite places. A lot of history in that little town.

Oct already here and it brings with it cooler weather. I have been working on garlic beds and came in for a rest. Will prepare beds today and plant tomorrow. I can stand only so much bending over at a time. Later in the day I plan on working on a couple of swaps and a bit of embroidery.

As for Halloween I skip it. Late evenings are a bad time for me because of MS fatigue so I turn off the porch light. There's only one youth on my street and I used to give him a bag of treats but now that he is older I give him money to help with the expenses of being in high school. He works in the summer mowing lawns so he knows the value of a dollar.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9582 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9582 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2016 :  07:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally stopped turning on the ac during the night. Ocassional use during the day though.

Carole, enjoy your trip.

Things are looking like fall here, though we haven't had any color yet. Later this month will be gorgeous and full of colors.

Finished up the quilt for Victoria, will give it to her at her party this afternoon. She loves bright colors and it's a good thing. Lol. Birthday was Wednesday so its party today.

Apple festival is going on today also. Might run over shortly.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2016 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise that is a beautiful quilt.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2016 :  1:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, no place better than Texas for Mexican food. I believe the original all PapaSeta's is right down town in Houston. At least it was 14 years ago.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2016 :  2:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise that is a beautiful quilt, I love those colors. Very nice and Victoria will love it.
There was an Apple Harvest Festival the next town from me. The have a lot of Vendors and hay ride through Fortuna and lots of stuff going on. We have an Apple orchard in town there too. They make their Cider and Juice the old way I guess. It really is tasty. I stayed home though. wasn't feeling perky and worked on some crafts instead.
I didn't want to deal with the traffic there anyway.

Well have a good day.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9582 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9582 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2016 :  3:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Marilyn and Darlene.
I didn't make it to the Apple Festival but did go to the birthday. She was happy with her quilt I think.

Going to work in the craft room this evening, doing some more organizing and getting my swap things together.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  06:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI everyone, I am back from our trip. We had a great time and got to see so much history and beauty. It was fantastic but I am also glad to be home. While there, I caught the nasty cold that had been being passed around and still feeling congested and extra tired. Our tour guide was really fun and prepared for all of our stops and visits. Plus, the Brits are very friendly people and we felt welcomed being there in their country.

I love that it is now October and fall is in full swing! While it is still very hot and humid here, the days are a bit shorter and soon we should be getting some cooler nights. Unfortunately , it looks like Hurricane Matthew might bring us trouble this coming weekend. Gosh, I hope it doesn't! It is a huge powerful storm!!!

I have enjoyed hearing what everyone else is up to. Lots of special projects and trips have been happening in September!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  06:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie good to have you home and happy you had a wonderful time.

I'm been watching the news about Matthew - hope it misses our eastern coast or weakens.

I'm taking a break from yard work this morning and making a whiskey run with my sister. Want another bottle of apple brandy for winter tea and to use in apple dishes.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  07:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to know your recipes for using apple brandy, Sara. Sounds YUMMY!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  07:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I use it instead of vanilla flavoring, add it to pork, apple, & cabbage dish, baked apples, sauté carrots and one of my favorites is to sauté link sausage with it. I add it to dishes that are compatible to apples.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  07:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great quilt, Denise. I love the bright colors. And I love scrappy!

Here is a picture of the Fall wall hanging I'm making. I'm framing a panel using a coping strip around the panel and some of the 10" squares from the Fall fabric swap for the border. It took 9 of the squares - 8 cut in half (making sure the pattern went horizontally or vertically), one cut in quarters for the corner blocks. The one thing about bordering panels: they are never good dimensions, divisible evenly by any number. And I had to measure at least 4 times (I think even more) to decide whether to leave the border they had on the panel or cut it off and add one myself. It worked out better to use my own - it came out mathematically better. It is amazing how much math is involved in quilting. And the 10" width of the blocks had to be cut down to a smidge over 9" finished on the sides to a smidge under 8-1/2" on the top. LOL! Luckily that is not noticeable when you view the wall hanging. Now I need to iron it, back it and quilt it.

My other projects for today (or a bit later in the week) are binding on 3 quilts, 2 blocks for the BOM I started in the Stitching and Crafting Room, cutting squares to mail out, and double-sashing/sewing together some blocks from a FB swap. I might get my hair permed in between some of those. LOL!

Happy Fall, you'all!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 04 2016 07:52:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful fall panel quilt, Linda!! I love the colors and images. Perfect for a throw on the sofa.

Hummmm, Sara, I like the idea of the apple brandy or whiskey for savory dishes. I should give it a try.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  11:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is beautiful Linda!
What a wonderful thing to hang up for fall decoration.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  1:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, wonderful autumn hanging - love the colors.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9582 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9582 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  3:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, what is scrappy? Excuse my ignorance.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  3:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Scrappy is basically using multiple fabrics or colors in one quilt, though it usually refers to patterned fabrics. I keep lots of smaller pieces of fabrics - and don't throw much away. Then I use "scraps" to make a quilt.

Here is one definition I found on line:
How do you define "Scrappy Quilt"?

I think the over-all link to the different styles is "made from many fabrics.

But beyond that - some people specifically purchase many more or less coordinated fabrics for a project

Some use mostly 'leftovers' from other projects

Some use the 'grab it and use it' method

Some will agonize over color placement.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9582 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9582 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  6:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh okay. I didn't know that. I guess even though I got the fabrics to all match it would still be a scrappy quilt then.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  6:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I call it scrappy versus a quilt where every block is exactly the same.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  07:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Rebecca, Ruth, and every other farm girl sister in Florida...please be watchful, cautious and very careful with the monster storm Matthew. I have been watching it for several days and praying for all of you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  07:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stay safe, east coast farm sisters.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  09:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you everyone! We are doing hurricane errands today to make sure we have supplies . We are 2 hours inland from the shore so not sure what impact will actually hit us. We will most likely get a lot of rain for sure. It is the wind and tornadoes that are the worst for us.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  09:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that certainly doesn't sound like much fun Winnie, I certainly will put you all in my prayers for safety and dryness.
All you on the East coast, please stay safe!
Matthew is going to be hard.
Take care!

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are all of our Farmsisters in Florida and the East Coast getting out safely. Please be safe out there.
I just saw that they are telling everyone to evacuate immediately and the road is jammed.

Prayers are with you all for safety.

Blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  06:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke up to light rain this morning and it's still misting. My thoughts are still with our east coast sisters - praying all are safe.

Later will run around with my sister but have no idea what we will do.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  08:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning ladies :) Hoping and praying everyone is staying safe!!! We have been evacuated out of Charleston and are up in North Carolina for the next couple of days. What a way to leave the state! We are suppose to be officially leaving on Tuesday, if this hurricane does not throw a monkey wrench into it, but God knows best! The mass majority of our belongings are on an 18 wheeler!!!

Winnie - I am so looking forward to hearing more about your trip and possibly seeing pictures! We were actually down in Florida a couple weeks ago and were thinking about you, however you were already across the giant blue. I'm so sorry that you came back with the virus! Hoping Matthew isn't doing too much damage!!!

Denise - that quilt is gorgeous! My oldest absolutely loves bright colors as well! You are extremely talented!

Linda - your wall hanging is beautiful! I am so looking forward to decorating for Fall... and hopefully it feeling Fall like. What a great way to bring some Fall cheer to your home!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page