Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting & chatting on the front porch - July 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting & chatting on the front porch - July 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 5

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  04:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my aunt was still alive, they had one that knocked a book shelf over and of course other things fell and broke. They had another that shook enough to slosh water out of the pool into the garage. My uncle screwed shelves to the wall and put wire over some shelves, so she could display her pretty glassware. They were in the desert, southern California. Five miles from the San Andreas fault line.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  12:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I can see why all that happened.Not fun at all.
After The three we had here in 1992, Everything I had that was breakable went down to the floor. some of it is still there.
Those were big and scary.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  6:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a fantastic day. After years of looking on and off I finally found a friend I had been searching for. 31 years from the last time I saw her I found her....on facebook. I got in touch and we had 2 1/2 hour phone call trying to catch up. I still can't believe after all this time. The weird thing is we were in the same areas at the same time and never knew it or ever ran into each other. We met when our husband's were in the military and that is how we ended up being in the same areas over the years. Fortunately we are both on the same coast so seeing each other again is a possibilty.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 24 2016 6:18:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  6:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so neat, Denise. That is what I like about Facebook...reunions.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great that you found her, Denise.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  7:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that is awesome Denise! Have a good visit when you see her.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  5:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know when or if I'll get to see her but it would be wonderful if we could get together again.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  08:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Taking a bit of time do catch up.

Denise, how wonderful to have found a long lost friend. So much fun catching up. Being in the military, I'm sure you met a lot of people.

Would you believe that I too live in an earthquake zone? Earthquakes are rare here but they do occur. Thankfully they are very mild. When my DH sent the plans for our barn, the zoning board turned it down because it was not "earthquake" proof. So he had to modify the plan and have steel beams cemented in the foundation. Given that our home is more than 200 years old and not earthquake proof, we figured we'll all run to the barn if we even have a huge earthquake!

Interesting piece of information I found here (https://www2.bc.edu/~kafka/Why_Quakes/why_quakes.html) on earthquakes in my area:

"The occurrence of earthquakes in the northeastern United States apparently violates the plate tectonic model, and a major research challenge is how to explain earthquakes in the Northeast within the framework of plate tectonics. What stymies seismologists' attempts to figure out why the Earth quakes in New England is that the earthquake process in plate interiors seems to be more complex than at plate boundaries. Unlike the situation in California, there is no obvious relationship between earthquakes and geologically mapped faults in most intraplate areas."

I found this site that tells a bit about earthquake history in your area/state: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/index.php

One can spend hours on the internet learning!

Aside from that not much is going on. Had a quick and wonderful weekend with Pumpkin. The summer is just flying by! Tonight it's "girls night out". Looking forward to spending time with friends.

Enjoy your day everyone! Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  09:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I have also spent some time learning about earth quakes. I have four cousins in Washington State, two in Oregon, three in California...Then all of our farm girl sisters scattered about.
Enjoy your daughter, time is short. My Baylee is taking her summer class finals next Monday and Tuesday. She asked to take them a week early so she could travel with her family to Wisconsin, the Dakotas and Montana. They will begin school within a week of their return. I am so used to having Hadlee around, it will seem funny for her to be back in school. Her beauty school classes will be in the afternoons each day.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  09:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoy your alone time, Marilyn. Hadlee will be back sooner than you think. The time they are gone to Wisconsin will go by very quickly - maybe too quickly.

I'll have my twin grandsons Thursday evening - it is my son's anniversary and they are going to dinner, and probably a movie.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  8:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, that was a very interesting article, I get alerts from the USGS and there are earthquakes all over the world, it is very interesting. There are only a few states that haven't had them.
The earth is very active :D
Looks like you and Pumpkin had a good night out last night. I saw you two on Facebook
Enjoy the evening,

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  1:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Afternoon everyone it is very quite around here right now. Had a little rain yesterday cooled it off for a day but it was nice. Did not have to water the yard. But today it's back to being hot, so staying in and doing all those odd jobs that need to be done around the house then getting to gather with family for supper.
Denise how wonderful to find an old friend. That is just awesome. Carole thank you for the lesson, there has been a few shakes around but more closer to Dallas in the past few years. None here that I know of. Darlene that is scary for you and are the fires very close to where you live? Better keep moving. Have a great weekend.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  3:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Sherry, it was nice to have a slightly cooler day yesterday. I think Ed and I are heading to Arkansas for the weekend. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler there. Will be nice to get away.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  3:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arkansas is beautiful, at least the western part we went through. We spent a week near Eureka Springs one fall. The guys fished and we shopped there and made Branson twice and Silver Dollar City. It was so pretty Because it was a week before Thanksgiving, but they already had Christmas lights turned on. There was only one problem...We missed the War Eagle craft show/bazaar...It happened a week or so before we arrived.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  3:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Arkansas is beautiful, at least the western part we went through. We spent a week near Eureka Springs one fall. The guys fished and we shopped there and made Branson twice and Silver Dollar City. It was so pretty Because it was a week before Thanksgiving, but they already had Christmas lights turned on. There was only one problem...We missed the War Eagle craft show/bazaar...It happened a week or so before we arrived.

This was about 25 years ago.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  6:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was pretty, but it started out sad, The little Betta Fish I was watching for the school, died this morning. Very sad. It was sweet!
The School Secretary got it for the Supervisor last school year for Supervisor's day, and it was kind of weak then but they put it in the office and it flourished better but stayed kind of small. Anyway when school let out and at the end of June the Secretary was going to be gone for the month and needed someone to watch it which was me, and it was not strong but it was ok. I kept talking to it and would knock on the bowl if it looked like it wasn't moving or just attention. anyway it is gone now. So I emailed the Secretary and told her and asked what she wanted to do. I was sad.
:(
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  06:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, so sorry to read your fish story.

Today, my Pumpkin left for Nicaragua to work with a youth group to assist the less privileged, working on their homes and what not. Something she has done for the past four (4) years but always remained in the USA. She has such a huge and kind heart that little one! I feel secure knowing that she is with my brother in law and his two daughters (one of which is close to my Pumpkin).

Treated myself to breakfast at the local coffee shop. I read and did some journalling. Lot's going on with me, and that's how I work things out, write, write and write some more. It helps me sort things out.

Aside from that, not much is going on. Fibre is quiet (a July thing around here - nothing new) so I goofed off by taking a class on Craftsy - Artisan Bread Baking by Peter Reinhart. Yes, I'm a bread baker and just love it. It was 50% off! I enjoyed the class. Learned lots! I've always wanted to take a class with Peter. I own a few of his books! He's a bread guru! lol

Hope you all have a wonderful day! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jul 30 2016 10:07:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Darlene, that is sad. I am sorry he passed away on your watch. Hugs.
Carole, I know it is difficult to watch your off spring venture out into the world. It is also hard when they are your grand children. In some ways the girls are like my very own, because I was their nanny/babysitter, and we live so close together. Some times I wonder how my son maintains his composure as they spread their wings and try to grow up. Plus dealing with Hadlee's brain tumor, the emotional rollercoaster as well as the expenses involved. But God is good.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  11:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I went to your web site and was reading. You were talking about using so much starch to stabilize fabrics. Have you tried making your own Best Press?
Here are two recipes.

Homemade Best Press
24 oz distilled water
3 oz Vodka
Several drops of essential oil if you choose
Pour into your spray bottle, shake gently to mix and iron away.
(We did not add a scent to ours.)
Vodka is made from potatoes. Potatoes are a natural starch.
I love this stuff. The fabric loves it too.

Shake, Shake Best Press
Pour 3 and 1/2 cups of cool water into a spray bottle
Add 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
Add 2 drops essential oil if you choose
Put top on bottle and shake well.

You must shake frequently when using this spray.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  4:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole
It is really neat that Pumpkin is getting such great opportunities to travel and see so much.
How did your bread turn out? I bet it was good, and smelled delicious.

Marilyn, those are interesting recipes for making starch, I never heard that before.
Have a good evening. all.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  05:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, did you know that MaryJane is working on a bread book? I think it might be coming out sometime this coming year too. Carole, I bet your class was fun and there is nothing better than homemade bread. I like to make bread as well but have not been regular about doing it. Maybe I will get inspired when the weather cools off here to make bread more often.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  05:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum, I can smell that yeastie fragrance now. One of my favorite aromas.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  3:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that is the best smell.
Oh I went to a rummage sale yesterday, what a find I got a Glass, Lemonade dispenser, kind of like the photo, for $5.00, oh I am so excited. It is sitting in my car. The people had the cutest little puppy in a play pen. sweet. Any way I hope you all are have a wonderful Sunday>

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  5:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You scored a good deal on your lemonade dispenser, Darlene. Enjoy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  05:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great find, Darlene! Wow, that one looks like brand new.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting & chatting on the front porch - July 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page