Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging toward the front porch - May 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging toward the front porch - May 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 7

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  5:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Denise, cameras are a good idea. I also want a driveway alarm. Now that school will be over soon perhaps I can spend a bit of time looking at what is avaliable. I know you are sore, but the fresh things taste so good, don't they.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6095 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6095 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  6:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is so busy! Today our Cemetery Board all but a few, went and cleaned up the Cemetery, It has some history so it is neat and the view is wonderful! I raked a lot of dry grass and swept some of the grave sites. This cemetery is at the top of Loleta hill and is called The Table Bluff Cemetery. It has the highway close by but anyway we used to have trains go through which we don't now because the tracks further South, anyway the track goes through a tunnel. The tunnel goes under the Highway and under the cemetery. I have heard it is the only one like that goes under a highway.
Anyway as I ramble on. Our cemetery has some historical people in it. One is Seth Kinman who made chairs out of Antlers for Presidents.
And today we found a spot where someone was buried that was in the Civil War. That would be our oldest grave.
I haven't done anything like that in forever, I am tired. But it was fun and looks good now for Memorial Day.
I hope you all are having a good day and a great day tomorrow.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9590 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9590 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  7:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, yes I will definitely enjoy having my own fresh veggies. Felt so good to have my hands in the dirt.
Darlene what a neat thing to do and to learn more of the people who came before us.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  07:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, it's so great to catch up on what everyone is doing. I've been completely out of touch because my car unexpectedly completely died on me about a week and a half ago. Right after mom's birthday, actually. Lily was in the car with me and the transmission just blew. Scary! Anyway I had to move fast to get a new vehicle since you can't get around in my neck of the woods without one. Stressful, and not what we needed right now. But, vehicle acquired, Bonnie has one more week of school, and all will be well!

Marilyn, I just have to say I agree you should call the police and call often. This is a case where the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Ruth, keeping you and your hubby in prayer.

Here's my "new baby." If I ever get on the road to travel and camp, the back seats are removable. So I can store more and even sleep in there in a pinch! :)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, everyone is so busy. we are still seeding here. Just finished soybeans and will move onto sunflowers tomorrow. I took yesterday off and went to watch our oldest grandson compete in a high school rodeo, he didn't place but rode well. Stopped at me of my favorite green houses before I came home and Managed to fill the back seat with plants, I think all plants need a home this time of year, mine preferably. We did have temps dip down to 28 last night. Good thing I had covered what I could and stored the rest in the garage. I am sure we lost part of our fruit blossoms and lilacs were just getting ready to bloom. Have slowly been getting seeds planted in the garden, I want to finish that project this week and need to butcher a few chickens by next weekend. It will be good to clear the chicken coop out a bit. I hope everyone has a lovely week.
Hugs
Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6095 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6095 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  4:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of car is that Amy? a Honda? Nice.

Julie you are so busy, may be you can relax soon.
Denise it will sure be nice to have your own vegetables.

Take care all.

Blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  4:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You will love growing your own vegetables, Denise. I wish I could have a garden. I travel so much that things don't survive. Maybe someday ...

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  07:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ladies, So much happened over the weekend. Sorry to hear about the scary driveway situation. My sister's driveway is a half mile long. She is also way out in the country. She can tell stories too. It's amazing how bold people can be. Hope the police can help you out Marilyn.

We have our plants and seeds also, just waiting on the weather.

As for the Trimmer Sisters Flea Market, my daughter and I had a great time. The weather was awful. Cold and windy with a touch of snow. We did get some deals though. Here is a picture of my purchases.

Think I will paint the shelf match the little one on the top and the picture rack. Guess I'll have seam binding to last a while. If it's the correct color needed. Lol I always say you can never have enough trims and buttons.The one shelf is cards of buttons. My bought a cupboard for her tiny apartment kitchen. It fit perfectly. She also got a perfect chair forher bedroom and some mini books for her collection.

Anyone know much about chalk paint? I haven't used it yet. Can it be used on rusty metal? I would like to paint the springs too. Think that chalk paint is on the little shelf.

Will keep everyone in my prayers. God was good and kept us safe on our trip.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  08:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW, Brenda! You did GREAT! Love all your purchases. I love finding buttons and interesting trims at sales. Sounds like you and your daughter did well!

What are you going to do with your springs? I have 3 bed springs here, 2 we've already taken the covers off of, and am trying to think of what to make with them. I also plan to paint some of them with chalk paint - thinking of making angels for Christmas, just adding some quilted wings and mossy hair. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  5:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think I will paint the springs with chalk paint and then make them into wind chimes. Since they are half springs, thought I would attach chain to the small ends for hanging and put whatever I find to hang around the larger end. They will be small, but think they will work well on a fence post for my garden or under our pavilion where our picnic table is.

If they were full springs, I would have used them as holders for paper cones for snacks. I like to serve individual servings of chips, pretzels, popcorn etc. instead of having everyone reach into a large bowl of snacks.

Another idea is to use them on a tray for holders for craft tools. Or attach them onto a board and hang them so that they could be used for letter holders. A large bead on the cut end and hooks along the bottom of the board for hanging keys.

Anyone have any other ideas.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6095 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6095 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  7:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like a good idea Brenda.

you had a lot of fun too!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  8:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see what you do with your purchases, Brenda.

The bed springs can also be used for a wine bottle holder, if mounted on a weather-worn board at the correct angles.

One of the bed springs I have has funny shaped springs - they are not what I'd call full springs. I'm not sure what I can or will do with them. The other has complete springs - with narrow and wide ends. I can do a lot with them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  4:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone seems to be having a fun time this Spring, with planting crops, or flowers - I love everything coming to life! I haven't had much time to do much of anything, with all Dave's doctors appointments, etc. Plus my Niece came for a visit for a couple of days and nights - love her to pieces!
Tomorrow Dave has to go to Atlanta to our Cardiologist for several tests, we will be leaving here at 5:30 am and hopefully get ahead of the rush hour traffic. His last appointment is at 2:45, so praying we can get ahead of the afternoon traffic. Plus it is his Birthday, so hoping we get some good news. I am going to bed early tonight, as it's going to be a loooong day tomorrow. We have had cooler temps, which I love! Some rain today, which was needed and a chance of showers the rest of the week. I have a friend coming from Texas this weekend, and Dave is going to a Honey Bee conference at Young Harris College from Thursday - Saturday. Busy, busy! I am going to try to finish up a quilt my granddaughter has done most of the work on for her daughter. Get it quilted then send it to Alaska where they are stationed (her hubby is in the Army)! Hope you all have a great rest of the week and weekend. I will try to let you know how Dave's test go when I get a minute.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  7:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sending prayers for safe travel and good test results tomorrow Ruth.Hugs.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6095 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6095 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  10:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are a busy person Ruth, sending up prayers for Dave and his tests. and your safe travel. I hope he has a Happy Birthday otherwise.
What is your quilt like? Have fun finishing it. and then maybe you can take a good rest.
Take care Ruth.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and I are about ready to take off for Portland, OR, in an RV - at least we will be if the RV is ready to roll. LOL! I won't be on as much here, but will try to check in as much as I can.

If any of you are possibly near to our route up through the corner of the panhandle of Olahoma, staying overnight in Denver on Thursday, Wyoming, Utah, corner of Idaho, and Portland, OR, please email me. Maybe we can meet-up.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 18 2016 08:37:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  10:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to catch up with everyone's news. Prayers for good news from the cardiologist, safe travel for all and decent weather for planting. I did a quilt talk on Quilting in Minnesota about 150 miles from here. Beautiful traveling weather. Cool and dim sun. Everything is so lush and green. We have had a lot of rain so farmers are scrambling to get crops in. I haven't planted yet. We had frost 3 days this week. But the warm-up is coming this week. Yea!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6095 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6095 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  12:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to go that way to California when I lived in Colorado, never got to Idaho though.
Have fun in Portland OR it is a neat City.

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  12:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! Sorry I have been MIA lately.... Between my health being poor, not to mention my mood, I just have been in a funk! Anyways, just wanted to check in, as I have really been missing my Farmgirl sisters!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9590 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9590 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  12:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, so glad to see you! Sorry you weren't feeling well but glad you are back. You have been missed.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Wish I could meet up with you, but you are on the opposite side of the country for me!
Shannon, Glad to see you here, hope you are feeling better, both physically and emotionally. Have you found a place to live??
It was a very long day today. left home at 5:30 am - returned at 6 pm. But we did manage to get a fun late lunch in on the way home :)! Dave had several tests done today, but we don't know the results yet. He will be having a Heart Cath and Carotid cath on June 1 at 2 pm to see what is going on and what to do about it. We appreciate your prayers as we wait for answers.
That's it for now - I'm soooo tired!
big hugs and thanks
Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  5:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers Ruth. I am glad you survived the big city. Last summer I had 7 different EKGs on different machines, as well as a nuclear stress test. Everyone said I had at least one blocked artery, maybe more. We went to Fort Worth, were late getting there, and there was nothing blocking anything in there. The doctor and all of the nurses were just looking at me funny when I asked if they fixed me. Everyone of them said there was nothing to fix. Then I told them they had just witnessed a Miracle from God.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  5:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth keeping you in my prayers for safe travel and good reports for your hubby. Your are a very busy lady.

Linda have a wonderful and safe trip. Praying for safety for you and Ed.

Shannon so glad to see you are feeling better. Hope it continues for you. Praying for you also.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Edited by - Lavender Rose on May 18 2016 5:49:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 19 2016 :  04:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - thank you! I have really missed being on here and staying connected!

Ruth - that really was a very long day! Prayerfully the tests show what is going on and give a direction for the doctors to go, or even better, he is blessed with a miracle of God, as Marilyn was!

As for our living situation.... Hahahaha. Sorry... I have to laugh or I will cry! The owner of the house refuses to extend, though he knows he will be putting seven young children on the street! Please pray for that man! Hubby went and talked with housing again.... Since military housing has privatized, you have to sign a six month or one year lease... You can break it if you get orders (separation or retirement included), but you have to have retain ability. Hubby doesn't because he is on what they call a med-hold so he cannot reenlist until that is done... Sometimes they give exceptions... That is what we are trying for, but it has to be approved by a commander... And it is a several week to several month process. We do not have either! I find it silly that it takes that long, when if you need an exception, it would be for something right then, but hey, what do I know!?!? ;) Brad called my dad last week.... My parents own several properties, but getting help from them is... Well.... Let me put it this way... My dad is an Irish Cherokee Indian Marine.... You never quite know what his response s going to be! Anyways, Brad asked him about renting his house in TN for a couple weekends over that two months so that while I was traveling with the children, we would have a place to get together as a family a couple times. Dad said no, that the house is too small for me and the kids. About three hours later, I guess he had a change of heart and said IF we cannot find anything else, we can rent the house for the two months! Sooooooo we will either be living on base housing or in TN for the two months, but not sure when we will know for certain wherre, so right now I am packing and tryi to separate what I will need for where. If we move into base housing, everything will go with us. If we move to TN, most of our things will go into storage and I will take the bare necessities (not because the house is too small, but because we need to move from SC for military purposes..l the house is as big as the one we are living insight now and a lot more acreage!)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 19 2016 :  05:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, what you have been going through is enough to make anyone sick. I am so sorry your landlord is so obstinate. His day will come, but that won't help you now. Have you decided where you will eventually put down roots? (State, town or general area?) God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging toward the front porch - May 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page