Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Started Spring Decorating!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Started Spring Decorating! Next Topic  

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  4:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my Vintage Valentines all packed away till next January! I love this ole shadow box table I got at an outlet about 10 years ago. Perfect for my collections!
My Great Aunt Mattie made the Dresser Scarf and the dishes were hers also. She owned a Neighborhood grocery store from 1940's to the 1980's. These Pink dishes were premiums that came in cases of different grocery items. She had many collections of Depression glass that she got that way. One set of Green Depression Glass came in the giant boxes of bubble gum. One way to get people to buy was to give something free with a purchase. Depression glass was given away at gas stations too.

My collection of Vintage Dance cards stay out all year in the end boxes of the table. Now to Spring Cleaning! ugh!

Connie-Killarney
Imagine.....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Mar 27 2016 4:32:00 PM

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  4:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really nice and so nicely organized.

I love it Connie.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  5:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know that depression glass was given away. I guess as a kid I did not pay much attention. I do remember an oatmeal that came with small glass bowls, etc. After I married a friend collected towels that came in Breeze detergent. My one depression glass treasure is a light green sugar bowl or spooner. It was in the trash pile where we moved to many years ago. I keep spoons, for coffee by the coffee makers, in it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  5:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, between my Aunt Mattie and my Granny's next door neighbor in the 1960's is how I fell in love as a child with old things! Our neighbor was an antique store owner. She educated us quite a bit about stuff and what to look for at garage sales. Money was very tight after the depression as well. A dark green glass and small footed bowls used to come in the Oatmeal boxes. My Granny bought them just to get the dishes. It had a raised design on it. She would go to the same Texaco Gas station because they gave away dishes, which came to be called," Depression Glass." The Library has many wonderful books with great pictures on Depression Glass. I have some of the dark green goblets with the clear hob nail feet. I have several pieces of Light Pink, and a set of clear bowls that were Great Aunt Mattie's. I have 4 place settings of these Pink ruffle ones. I love them!! I had forgotten about the towels and dish cloths that came in detergent! I so remember digging them out, getting washing powders everywhere! LOL! Giving away things inside their products was a way for companies to get their sales increased. Back then, there were many more smaller companies, with smaller assets that later merged into big corporations.

Thank You! Darlene!

Connie-Killarney

Edited by - Killarney on Mar 27 2016 5:32:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  5:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How neat. I have one piece of pink. It is oval with a lacy sort of scalloped edge with holes. It has a small crack in the lace which was there when I bought it. I have never used it. It is just pretty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  6:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How beautiful! I have one yellow depression glass plate that has 3 sections.

Neat!

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  8:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love vintage dishes so much. I have a full service of 8 in orange fire King. A set of service of 6 in the pink that Connie showed, those were my grandmas. Many pieces of jadeite. Several depression ware pieces and many pieces of gorgeous carnival glass serving bowls. I rotate them in a hutch that was my dads and we use a lot of them for holiday days since I think if you are going to have this stuff you need to be using it. I have started sharing some of them with the kids and have set aside several pieces for the granddaughters. One of them has played with my vintage atomizer perfume bottle collection since she was a toddler so I know she will get those. It has been fun looking for treasures all these years, you just never know when you will find a piece.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  04:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I have a great niece, who started her antique mall "booth" when she was 17. Now 19, she has grown it from a shelf to one small wall to a booth. She collects glass ware and is always searching for a treasure. She learned as she went with her mom and grandmother, and they helped grow her collection with gifts on special occasions. She is a college freshman, and her boyfriend must be a jewel, because he happily goes along or even takes her on some of her hunts. She has also been painting and redoing furniture pieces since she was 16. My own granddaughters have "called" most everything I own. They divided up my collection of crochet, etc. about four years ago, and took it home with them. I discovered I had more to decorate with, so we all have some. Now that they are 15 and 18, we need to put their names on the items they called so the younger one won't be upset....someday. Recently they found old perfume bottles at a yard sale... delicate ones with the long glass strippers, and some old books. The oldest one is a reader and could not leave those treasures to be ruined in the wind and rain. Good kids, family adventures, hobbies...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  05:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not aware about the depression glass being sold at gas stations or in things like oatmeal. That is very interesting to learn!! I do remember the wheat pattern dishes that came in boxes of laundry powder because we had some for everyday use in the early 1950s. Did anyone else have that pattern in their homes? Occasionally, I see the dishes in antique stores.

Connie, I love the pretty dresser scarf and dish set that belonged to your Great Aunt Mattie. So pretty and sweet!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  09:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I so love all your collections, Connie! Thanks for posting pictures.

I've been away from computer for 3 days and trying to catch up. Never ending, it seems.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  11:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have green depression glass too plates,pudding dishes, bowls and serving pieces. It is such fun to use, especially in the spring and summer.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  12:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I love hearing about the ones you collect! I would love to see some pictures!!! I have been a Hobby Photographer since I was a teenager. I did get 1 picture published in Cat Fancy Magazine in the 1980's LOL! I just love taking pictures of anything!!

Connie-Killarney
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  04:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love seeing pictures and reading about everyone's collections. I have quite a few vintage linens from my grandmothers and great-grandmother, but they are presently stored away until I have a little more time to figure out how to display and use them. I did recently get out a set of sun bonnet girl, day of the week kitchen towels that my Grammy made. A couple were in bad shape, but most were just fine, so I'm using them. They have a sun bonnet girl doing a different household chore for each day if the week. It makes me smile every time I use them!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  07:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have no depression glass items, especially pink, because my mother did NOT do pink of any kind. LOL! I do have embroidered pillowcases, small embroidered tablecloths and crocheted doilies that my grandmother and mother made. I also have a lot of needlepoint and cross-stitch framed pictures that my mother did. And usually she dated them with her initials and the year. I love the old linens and am thankful to have things that my mother made. I also have a large crocheted tablecloth that my grandmother made for my mother when she got married - that is a real treasure.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  12:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love anything vintage!! especially if it belonged to my family, and I remembered it from childhood.
Amy, Linda love your vintage linens!! I have a crocheted bedspread that my Great Aunt Mattie made. It needs a few small repairs. but I adore it.

Connie-Killarney
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  6:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I have the old telephone from my uncle's farm. It hangs on the wall and was a party line. Two rings, one long and one short. I was lucky to get it because he died the next year.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  6:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love needle work. I have my grandmother's wedding dress.Once it was white cotton, heavily embroidered with daisy, etc. It has inserts of delicate lace and tiny buttons. She was soooo tiny. I think the dress was made around 1900. Of course it is no longer white, but it is still beautiful in my eyes. To me it represents many many hours spent with needle and thread...inspiration to me to keep on stitching.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  7:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You should put it on a wire dress mannequin so you can always see it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2016 :  7:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Linda, a dress mannequin would be perfect for that special wedding dress of your grandmothers Marilyn.
It sounds really beautiful to keep put away.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2016 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It hangs on an old vintage hanger on my closet door. I do not have room for a dress form.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2016 :  7:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you take a picture of it and post it? I would love to see it.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2016 :  8:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I will take a photo tomorrow.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page