Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - December 2015
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - December 2015 Next Topic
Page: of 7

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  10:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

I think it is time to bring our chatting to the inside, well for us folks in the north anyway! Rocking chair by the hearth or wood stove, quilt and kitty on my lap .... rocking away nice and cozy!

I love the month of December. It has one of my favourite holiday, Christmas or Yuletide and Hanukkah (Festival of lights)! Love everything having to do with this season. I'm one of Santa's biggest fan! Yep, I love this season. For me it's about giving unconditionally. I have so much to be grateful and sharing my gratitude is something that makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

My Christmas shopping is practically all done. I have just a few stocking stuffers to get. Given that my little Pumpkin is in college, the tree will not be filled with presents. She's a college student now and there are more practical things to spend our money on. But nonetheless, Santa will have come.

We have our tree up, fully decorated with memories. It's beautiful, as always. I love looking at the various decorations, thinking of the stories behind them. We always have a village under our tree.

It was wonderful to have Pumpkin up for the Thanksgiving holiday, she's our expect on choosing our tree, placing the decorations and constructing the village. Love that tradition!

For those of you that celebrate the season, whether it is Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas etc .... How are things going for you?

Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Dec 01 2015 10:52:59 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  5:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it was 80 today and will go to 82 tomorrow. Definitely not the typical weather one thinks of when you think of Christmas!! I am putting my fall decorations away and will get to the Christmas later this week. Supposedly, it will cool off this weekend so maybe that will inspire me.

With grown kids, Christmas is much different but we do enjoy keeping up some favorite traditions. My husband is Norwegian, so we always use St. Lucia Day, December 13, as the start of most of our holiday festivities. That is when I get the tree decorated and some of the traditional cookies baked.

I am busy working on Christmas presents that I am knitting and hoping to finish them on time!! Yikes, where did the days go? I may have to rely on the 12 Days of Christmas to get them all done and given to the recipients this year! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  9:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
80 degrees sounds warm but nice.
We have been having cooler weather here and the tides are on super tides.
Our little community is getting ready for Santa to come on Saturday and decorations are going up all around.
I have some little things on my window and around the living room. I am going to Washington so not sure if I will put up a tree or not. Probably will just because I need one in my living room. I am working on Christmas cards and went over to the clothes closet to help get it ready for Christmas as well.

Lots going on everyvhere here.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  02:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I may have posted this on here somewhere already, but our tree and decorations went up on "Black Friday," as they do each year. I have been very impressed with my younger children, as they have actually left it alone! We are still looking at various countries each day and how they celebrate Christmas. What a learning experience! Once I catch up on swaps, I need to make gifts for my family, as well as our Christmas Eve pajamas. I am pretty stumped on what to make my boys and hubby! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. They are ten (today), eight, and four.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  08:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What type of gifts do you make? What about robes? A coupon book for each with coupons to tear out for extra dessert, special meal of their choice, etc.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am thinking I might do robes next year for all the children, when I have a little more time ;) My list this year so far:
Katie (12 yo) - recipe box with family favorites
Sam (6 yo) - pincushion with sewing box
Aly (2 yo) - wooden color peg families to match to each other and their containers
Emi (3 mo) - tummy time blanket that I started before she was born and never finished!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  09:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great gift ideas!

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great, Shannon.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  10:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed something - why are my posts here only up to 100 and my other posts at 2000?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 02 2015 10:05:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  12:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, different forum. You start brand new here - at zero! Post are on the main forum do not count for posts on this forum! Hope this clarifies things for you!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I think I figured out the "men"....
Ben (4 yo) - kinda like a crayon roll-up, but instead, a carrier for his trains
Will (8 yo) - wood, nails, etc for making a bird house and bird feeder (he is my bird fanatic)
Lee (10 yo) - Star Wars peg people
Brad (hubby) - coffee basket, which will include basket, coffee mug, coffee travel mug, different types of coffee beans (EarthFare is having a sale this week), and different types of coffee syrups (homemade)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  2:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice ideas Shannon. Fun too.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  3:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all sound so organized. My
Christmas starts this year with the Minnesota Quilters holiday party on Sat. Sun, a dear friend is coming to church with us. We'll have a light lunch and then visit a history farm built by Norwegians. They bake all kinds of goodies on the wood stove to try, have wagon rides, singing, quilting demonstrations, paper crafts, story time for the kids and Norwehian painting demos. For many years I was here in costume participating by making three dimensional paper stars. This year I will be just visiting. After the farm (they have sheep, cows, chickens and goats too) we'll attend the Scandanavian smorgasbord at the church. Next week we'll get a tree and decorate the house. Wish all of you could be here.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  3:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas, Shannon.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  04:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your ideas Shannon! Bonnie sounds like lots of fun in store. Enjoy!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  07:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am behind this year since I get to play with Lily June 2 days a week! I have my Nativity done. We got all the outside lights up. We are still using the old school, big multi-colored lights, (Lily June loves them!) and the outside Nativity. I am working on my little tree for Lily June and hope to put the big one up either the weekend or first of next week. I have my Charlie brown display done. We are all big Charlie brown Fans.

I loved reading what everyone is up too!!

Winnie, it is finally cold here, high in the 50's for the next 7 days, low in the 30's, cold for us!! LOL!! I still have lots of Pansies blooming on the front porch! I love listening to the Christmas music. We have 2 stations locally that play it from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  07:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

I enjoy reading what everyone is up to! I mailed my last swap package! What a relief! I joined a year long swap on the forum and I had no idea how much stress it would place on me. I'm probably taking it way to seriously! I just don't want to forget! lol I have come to the conclusion that a year swaps are not for me. I like individual swaps! It's a done deal once the package is out! lol

Yesterday morning I spent getting my cards ready and mailed them this morning. Glad that's off my to-do list. I only have a couple more things to do and my holiday list is a done deal!

Best be getting back to work! Enjoy your day everyone! Cheers

Carole

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  08:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know the feeling, Carole. My last swap package will go out today or tomorrow. I still have 2 quilt tops to finish piecing to go to the longarm quilter. Hopefully tomorrow morning, but I may be up all night. LOL! I keep getting distracted.

I still need to decorate - the pre-lighted tree is up, but bare of ornaments. The rest of the decorating will probably have to wait until we return from our cruise late on the 12th. DID et Christmas scrappy quilts on both beds - at least that is done. LOL!

The first is in my bedroom. It is all 6-1/2" squares of all my Christmas fabrics (from a couple years ago) surrounded by a border of 2 rows of leftover 2-1/2" strips from a swap.

This is the guest room. It is all 2-1/2" strips with a border of the leftover 6-1/2" squares.

NOTE: measurements are cut sizes.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 03 2015 2:32:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  08:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you are doing good! I have been working on my Christmas cards that is a long process and a little decorating.
Plus getting ready for my towns Open house and Santa Clause is coming on Sat. Too much to do. Fun though.

I don't think I would do a year long swap because I might forget one. Single ones I can stick with and I think I would have more fun with it and do better for my partner.

That is just me though.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  08:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got my new icicle lights up last night, with Ed helping. They are the LED less power ones and look nice. We also have a local station that plays all Christmas music; they started Thanksgiving eve.

Connie - I love your graphic. I'm going to share it on FB if you don't mind.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  2:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished adding borders to a quilt top I am giving to Ed for Christmas. The 12 12" blocks are from my small quilting group - every month someone picks a block that everyone does in their own colors. I used these to frame a pre-printed panel of the map of Texas. Then, to make it longer than wider, I added a piano key border to the top and bottom with dark brown borders to separate. The last border is a woodgrain fabric.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 03 2015 2:33:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  2:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait - I leave on a cruise tomorrow. Going to Belize, Cozumel, and Mahagony Bay, Honduras. My 8th cruise and Ed's 1st. I hope he likes it! He loves taking pictures, so should have lots of interesting sites to snap pictures of.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 03 2015 2:35:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  3:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, your quilts are pretty.
I would definitely have a problem keeping up with swaps that I would have to commit to for a year.
Tree is up and most of the ornaments are on it. Inside decorating is done. Need to get to the outside and get everything decorated and lit up.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  4:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't join the year-long swaps, either. I like the one-time swaps.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  8:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, enjoy your cruise, we have been on several and they are always fun. Are you leaving out of Galvaston, that is one of our favorite ports. Out tree is up, the outside decorating is done and today I worked on Christmas cards. Tomorrow I will attack the pile of packages that need to be wrapped. I managed to get caught up on swaps yesterday, it is good to get that off my list. Next week I will start the candy making. I am trying to get the majority of my holiday projects done before the 12th. Oliver has to go back to Ohio for some major testing to find out which part of his intestine is not working correctly and I will have his sisters for a week. We will be making gifts for mom, dad and a favorite uncle while they are here. I always try to have several projects for them to work on so they don't worry quiet as bad. Winter has finally come to my neighborhood, snow on the ground and colder temps really do help it feel like Christmas.

Hugs
Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  9:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Julie! I love cruises. This is Ed's first cruise, so I hope he likes it! He's more of an "away-from-the-beaten-path" kind of guys as far as vacations go. He thinks 4000+ people on a ship is a little too much togetherness with others for him. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - December 2015 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page