notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  07:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else having problems with the Farmgirl Connection this morning? It can't just be me...

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  08:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first went to the site it was a list of topics all on a white background. I just went back and it is fine now. Did it straighten out for you Erin?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  09:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it's ok now. Weird.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2016 :  6:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That will happen to me with different sites. Very frustrating sometimes.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  05:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi girls! How's everyone doing lately? It's supposed to be in the 60s today. I'm excited about that! I had an appt with my midwife yesterday. Everything looks good, but I have to start wrapping my belly. Apparently he wants to lay sideways in there. I want so badly to take the day off from school to get my house in order after this weekend (birthday party, out of town guests) but I can't do it. Oh well.

What are everyone's plans for Easter? We are going to the sunrise service, then breakfast at church. Jason has to go to both services because he's in choir. We're having my dad over for dinner, and maybe some other family. I really don't know who Jason invited! Menu is still being planned, but we have a ham!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  09:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 22 adults and 4 toddler/infants coming to dinner Saturday eve. Still planning dinner. We were planning on brunch. However, a couple of the big kids couldn't make it early..so, instead of brunch we are having "dunch" (dinner/brunch).

Our Easter egg will probably be confined to in-house (darn) due to 7-8 " snow predicted for tonight. (Depends if snow melts..and mud).

Wasn't our 60 degree weather glorious, Erin!!! We had that yesterday!

I hope wrapping your belly helps, Erin! Anything to take the pressure. I had to do that with my daughter. She felt like she was going to fall right out the bottom. Yikes. (But, she didn't)

I miss being in a choir. Always sang in church choir as a kid, then school choir and chorus. That's when I found out I am tone deaf. Haven't sung since HS. sad.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  05:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no snow! Really? I haven't looked at our weather. I probably should. When I worked at the airport I was all over the weather all the time. Since I stay at home now, I don't care usually.

That's quite a crowd you have coming over on Saturday! That ought to be a lot of fun! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  05:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our holidays any more are just us :( I miss being with family and friends! Our house isn't big enough to have more people here, and honestly most people do not want to invite a family of 9 to their house :( We'll have some type of breakfast casserole in the morning, or maybe I'll make cinnamon rolls. Then we will head to church :) For dinner I am making an herb crusted leg of lamb with asparagus and I'm not sure what else yet (suggestions???) I think Katie (my oldest daughter) and I are going to make a 3-d lamb cake for dessert.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  08:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always wanted to make the "lamb cake", Shannon. But, never did. Post a pic if you do it. You could come to our house for Easter too. We don't have a large house. We just cram them in. It must not be too bad...They keep coming back. lol.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  1:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, the lamb cake will be cute I bet. We will be having turkey and I don't know what else with it yet. There has always mostly been just us at holidays. Being military we didn't get to spend too many with family. Occasionally but it was rare. Now we have my dad and brother in law. So my daughter and family will come over. We will have 10 this year anyway. Grandkids do help to fill up the table.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  04:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure of complete menu yet, but eggs in some form will be on it because we are getting a lot of them. We also have a tasty but not healthy casserole each holiday made from tater tots, cheddar and cream of mushroom. Youngest (19 and only one still home) wanted to put on egg hunt for sibs this year. Most of them are healthy eaters now so won't be much candy. Instead will have "prizes"-things that were on sale like butter, cheese, etc. And of course at every family dinner target shooting is involved.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  08:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrea, That sounds like fun! My daughter when she was still at home used to love to set up scavenger hunts. My son who is still home hides eggs for the grandchildren. They love it and so does he. He doesn't make it very easy sometimes so we adults need to help. Last year we had a couple none of us could find so he had to give us all clues! I told him to go easy on us this year.
My daughter will be making an egg dish this year. We are loaded with them and people aren't buying them for dying because they are brown. Hopefully we will start selling more as the weather warms up more. We seem to get a few people who take 6- 10 dozen at a time in the summer.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  04:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of chickens? And how many do you have? Your son sounds cool-I like that he made the hunt hard!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  5:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have Black Sex Link breed right now. We started with Black Austrolorps. We have 14 girls. One is red and kind of the leader. I call her Sophie. There is another part red part black and the rest are black. We were going to get more this year but these are only coming up on 3 years old so we will probably wait another year maybe two.
We had a lot of fun with this year's egg hunt. He added duct tape to the mix so there were eggs hiding everywhere! It took quite a while. He said he wants to get more (about a hundred) for next year. That way we don't have to limit the kids to certain colors or amounts. I have a feeling he will need to expand his area and the adults will have to be more involved.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had snow on the ground when the kids were here. Since we use brown eggs I told DH I should just boil them and throw them out in the snow for the babies to find. Not. (We ended up with an egg hunt in the house.)

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  06:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith! Lol. We had an egg hunt outside for the kids but it was muddy:( I was so tired by the end of the day! I love that we're a go-to place for holidays, but I'm glad we don't have any get togethers planned soon. I need a break from all that. We usually do a couple things in the summer, have swimming parties and barbecues, but technically I don't have to plan anything til my sons birthday at the end of August!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2016 :  09:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those that did not see it on the main forum, please be in prayer for the family of Portia. Tragically she was killed in a car accident. Many of us were touched by this sweet sweet sister!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2016 :  12:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Shannon....oh dear....I'm in shock! I will be praying.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  05:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I am determined to get a little more caught up on things. It is a rainy morning and we are all still sick. Brad was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday, and is home from work again today. School is extremely relaxed with so many of us sick... But this means I have time (between nursing a sick baby, taking care of a sick hubby and kids, and taking naps myself) to get caught up a little. Okay... Now that I put it that way, I may not get much accomplished. I do have everything ready to go in the mail that I am late on, if it has not already gone out. Judith's bag and Joyce's box are ready, and the recipes are on there way to everyone. I really want to get a little sewing done today, and I need to write some letters. My cousin who I adore, has a pacemaker that has been going into overdrive. She desperately needs a heart transplant... And she is my age! Such a scary time! She and her family are all still Old Order Amish, so there is also the expenses that come with it all, as they do not have insurance. Hmmm now that I write that, I wonder if that has changed since ObamaCare was started. Not sure how that affected the Amish as it goes against everything they believe in!

On a different note, I have been trying to work on my family tree. It has been a little difficult, in that my dad seemed to have been told a lot of things about his heritage that are not showi up in the actual things I am finding. I am not sure how to continue with it, honestly. My mom's side was pretty easy, and my hubby's side has been absolutely fascinating! His great (however many times removed) grandfather was Pocahontas's dad! There are also numerous kings, the emperor of China, Charlemagne and Attilla the Hun in his lineage. I need to go back and look at all the nationalities of his past! On my mom's side there is A LOT of Swiss and German, which makes total sense as my mom's family includes a lot of Amish, English, French, Polish, and Scottish. So far from my dad's side there is Irish and English... He says there should be A LOT of Native American, including Cherokee and another tribe... And that his great grandmother was full blooded. I am wondering if maybe by marrying a white man, her name got changed? Difficult to find information on!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  11:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Shannon, I had to chuckle. I'm spending a lot of time on my family history also. We are probably related somewhere down the line. (Very thin shoestring) My ancestor is a sister to Pocahontas, and we are also in Charlemagne's line. Its all pretty fascinating isn't it! My birthmother's father's side of the family was Cherokee, Choctaw and Quapaw. My birthfather's mother's and father's familyies all came over from Bohemia.

I sure will pray that your cousin can have her heart transplant.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Edited by - forgetmenot on Apr 07 2016 11:28:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  1:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What interesting family histories you both have! Working on a family tree is something I really want to spend time on. The main library in Fort Wayne is supposed to be the second best (after Salt Lake City) for genealogy. I think I have to wait until my kids are a little older before I can try to utilize their facility.

Sorry for my absence last week! I've been busy with appointments, and so tired. My birthday was Saturday, and not trying to be melodramatic, but it was probably one of the worst ones. Our coffee maker has been broken, and Saturday Jason was going to take the kids with a massive list for freezer meal supplies to Costco, and get a new one then. We have a Starbucks barista machine, so we've been making americanos until we got a new machine (can you tell we really like our coffee?). Well Saturday morning he dropped a whole tea kettle of hot water and burned his leg and his wrist. My mom drove him to three different places to get treated. So that took up most of the day. He ended up going shopping but everything was late. Dinner, kids bedtime, baths. Blah. We were supposed to have beef tenderloin for dinner but it wasn't thawed so I had to make burgers. It was such a blah day. He felt bad, and I felt bad that he felt bad, because it was just an accident. It's not like he was trying to ruin the day. My mom left this morning, but here's a picture of what she gave me for my birthday, which I'm pretty excited about!

Kaukauna cheese is something we get every st. Patrick's day, or well did get in Illinois. I can never find it here. So there's sort of sentimental value to those little crocks. And the cookbook just looks fun. :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  4:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin what a wonderful birthday present!!! I'd be excited too :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  4:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon.....your family history project really caught my eye. You said your dad had thought that there would be a lot of Native American blood on his side. My mom's side of the family has Cherokee blood...my great grandpa was at least 1/4 Cherokee. I have pictures of him and his brother and sisters and it's pretty obvious with their facial features. My uncle had his DNA tested, I believe through Ancestry.com and my son had his done through 23 and Me. Both showed absolutely NO Native American blood in their makeup! I was really shocked! Especially with my uncle's results. The 23 and ME test picked up the most smallest traces of things. I would've thought it would pick up Native American.
I know when some of my great aunts were working on the family tree that they ran into some dead ends with our Native relatives, mostly because at the time they were required to register as Native and some of them refused.
Have you found anything that might explain this in your research?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  4:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy late Birthday, Erin! The day will make for some "memories" later on! I love your birthday gift from your mom!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry that happened to your husband Erin.
Awesome gifts from your mom! I have a few cheese crocks from my mom and grandmother. My mom held onto everything.
Shannon, great topic, family history. We, my brothers and I have done ours and we are definitely Irish, my grandma's side and grandpa was English as well as Scotch. Hence the tempers around here. I am not proud of that part. We also have Mohawk on the same side. My mom's side everyone is Dutch. English in there a bit too.
Funny though I am blonde and blue eyed I have had so many askover the years if we are Italian. I just sort have this blank look on my face everytime. Lol. We have found some very interesting things out about my family in our history. Some of it funny and some definitely not so much.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 14 2016 10:32:08 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Just Talking Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic