Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fall harvest Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  08:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So now that we have had several days of frost/freeze the garden is looking pretty done, even those few plants I managed to cover. So what is everyone hurrying around to put up at the last minute?

I'm dehydrating some eggplant, trying to save some tomato seed from a plant Rain had shared with me, stringing peppers left and right (I'm not sure where to hang them all), have chicken bones on the stove to make a broth for soup to use up those little side cabbage heads, still need to harvest the parsnip and some carrot to can together, cover the rest of the carrots in the ground, and clean up.

And did I mention apples? the last two varieties are being harvested now so those will need to be dehydrated and made into applesauces, but those I have some time with.

Laurie

Best Growing

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the first time any many, many years we didn't plant a garden so we aren't scrambling to keep it watered/covered or any of that stuff.

We didn't get to harvest many of our pears for a variety of reasons and, hopefully, we'll get some apples to do something with before too late.

Sad story, huh???? Pretty pathetic because it's just not like us to not have a garden and not be putting stuff away.

CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

living life: www.snippetscja.blogspot.com
"the Purple Thistle": www.ceejay48.etsy.com
from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fall harvest Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page